Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

Despite various factors such as the decisions by politicians, leaders, and the times... wouldn't a lot of our woes be attributed to even more people fighting over for the fewer resources left? The US went up in population, but not a whole lot of jobs were added to compensate for that. That seems to have caused what were once more temporary, teenage, or old folk jobs (like fast food, retailers, or retailers) to be used as permanent or more permanent positions. Many people have a bachelors degree, but that just sort of devalues or dilutes it for the rest of us (although I wouldn't say a Masters degree is the new Bachelors, it's closer than before). I doubt ANY leader nor plan can accommodate even an acceptable percentage of people for enough resources for an adequate living (e.g. unemployment rate is anywhere from 8% to 13% depending on who you ask and how you ask, but that's not likely to get better IMO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Everything.

We've doubled our population since the 70's. At SEVEN BILLION people, we have simply outstripped our ability to sustain ourselves. Chronic over-breeding is pretty much the alpha-center of all negative issues we suffer today if you connect the dots.
Spay and Neuter your human today

Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
In software development, the Masters really is the new Bachelors. You can get hired with a bachelors still but it's an uphill battle.

Increased population doesn't necessarily result in higher unemployment. More people means more demand for labor as well as more supply of it.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 AM

156 posts, read 447,478 times
I think this has had 0 impact. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the US population has grown but hasn't added more jobs. That isn't true -- since the end of WWII, the number of jobs in America has grown quite a bit.

Also, very few countries in the world have leaders allocate resources. Most economies are market-based, meaning individuals supply and obtain resources independently.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:54 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Very skilled jobs will always command higher salaries and have fewer candidates competing for the jobs, simply because fewer percentage of the population will have the skills and/or education to be able to compete for those positions.

The scarcer the skills, the higher the salary a candidate can command.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Plenty, especially given the rate jobs are being automated right now. There are too many people competing right for the available job openings, and not nearly enough jobs are being created to keep up with the population growth.

Of course, it's not PC to have this discussion.

I think a hybrid of I-Robot, Idiocracy, 1984, The Hunger Games, Logan's Run and Soylent Green is our future.

Last edited by 313Weather; 08-11-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
There are fewer and fewer "grunt" jobs that the majority of the population once did like factory work. The only jobs left that pay a living wage are highly competitive and require skills and education that not everyone is capable of obtaining.

I'm just not sure how society is going to deal with the mass unemployment that will result.

And no, fast food and retail is not just for old persons or teenagers. In my travels I have met many "lifers" doing these jobs since it's all they have the aptitude for. If you don't have high intelligence, excellent social skills, and good looks, you are pretty screwed.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
It has nothing to do with population.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Of course it has an effect supply and demand. When the guy in Pakistan can do accounting through quickbooks for $2 hour how long do you think their equivilant making 40k is going to be employed?

The biggest problem with overpopulaiton is it occurs in the poorest segments of the population. Combine the population of India 1.3 tril and Pakistan 210 bil they dwarf the US. Many of these folks are direct competiton. Sure they can do legal and accounting as well as we all know call center support.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:21 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
It has some to do with it.

It is directly related to lack of jobs for working class people. Working class people and those with less social mobility potential are more likely to have more children. So, there is too much competition for jobs which require no education, only a high school degree, and trades.

For jobs which require a college degree, as another poster mentioned, the ease of obtaining a college degree these days has reduced its exclusivity to effectively nil.

Computers are also to blame for massive job loss. Computers and the internet have effectively wiped out thousands upon thousands of jobs with more to come. Computer and IT related jobs represent only a fraction of the jobs they actually eliminate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment