Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 30,275 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it to do trade school in Industrial Electricity?

I'm currently in CC but only getting a general studies degree, I was doing I.T but it would have taken longer than 2 years, and I just want to finish up at cc.

I can get the electrician program paid for, and work a part-time job at night. It's 16 months and has a 77% job placement rate. I know in TN I would probably only start out at $10/hour but after the 4 years of being an apprentice I'm sure I would be making quite a bit to support myself.

Do you guys think this would be a good career choice? I really don't want to go into debt pursuing a Bachelor's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 07:29 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Is this something that interests you? Are you simply looking for a job to support yourself?

Sure, you'll start out on the low end, but there is no guarantee you'll make much after 4 years. That's all dependent on how much you apply yourself, and how much you want to learn. When it comes to "the trades", you have two types... The guys who come home and drink beer, and the guys who put in the extra effort to learn, put in the extra hours, and generally make an effort to outdo themselves every day at work. Nothing is given, it is always earned. Apprentices start out the same at most companies, but their pay in 4 years can vary greatly depending on everything I've discussed above.

Have you looked for any apprentice opportunities? Companies always need people to haul debris and waste material during the working hours. They usually like to have youngish folks around to fetch tools (like the left handed screw driver ) and materials needed for the job. Heck, sometimes they'll even send you off to the hardware store to fetch a "short circus"

But when these companies need new blood, they generally start interested candidates out doing this type of simple stuff. As they show their dedication and interest, they are given incrementally more demanding work, giving them the opportunity to learn the ropes and the trade. This is how most tradesman I know started out. Relatively few started out in the classroom. For the most part, the ones who did attend classes did so simultaneously while working full time. It might be worth it to scan the horizon for such opportunities. It never hurts to give local employers a call to inquire about potential apprenticeship or entry level opportunities.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:40 PM

I contacted the local union and they said that work is slow but their might be pre-apprenticeship classes available.

From what I've heard so far is that electricians are in demand and a master electrician can make a pretty good wage. If I transferred for my bachelor's I would do it in Computer Science, and I'm really skeptical about the CS job outlook.

I still have a year left of CC to think about my options, but it seems like college is becoming a waste of time. The only jobs available in east tennessee are health care and factories or trades. A CS degree would be useless here, although I could relocate.

My friend just completed a year of this trade school in welding and is making $14/hour starting out, which I think is not bad. Twice the pay as most people would get around this area.

I'm not 100% sure I would like it but I do enjoy hands on outside work compared to an office all day. I think electrical would be the best trade for me because I enjoy technology and the hardware aspect of computers.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:50 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Tennessee... I don't envy you

Nothing wrong with spending time in school exploring. Just don't let get too stuck in that mindset that you can hide away in school to "figure it out". Pretty soon, you've spent 5 years there part time while working that crappy job that wasn't meant to be a career... Except, it's turning into one. Sometimes, you just gotta go with your heart, your gut or whatever else is telling you to take the plunge.

Again, I would suggest at least scanning online for job opportunities with local contractors and companies. That's how most people in the trades started out it seems. Most tradesman started out doing the equivalent of broom pushing jobs until someone recognized they were capable of doing more. Problem you will face is there are an awful lot of experience guys out there with the experience, meaning companies will hesitate to train. By the time they are willing to train, they want someone with 2 years experience doing that broom pushing job... You know, waiting their turn.

Union gigs are great if you can get in. Plenty of competition though. Many people back in the day would work years at a non union company until a slot opened up at a union shop.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
if someone wants to do electrical work you are better off joining a local union apprentice program vs taking a course at a college or trade school

thats a 4-5 year apprentice program where you get your hours and get a certificate with a us govt seal on it

most the electrical jobs out there are union and are commercial building projects and you cant get em if the union hall doesnt set you up

residential electricians are well unavailable to apply for those are occupied

Old 08-15-2013, 05:59 AM

209 posts, read 292,510 times
I've been an industrial maintenance electrician for 26 years. I got my start by going to a vocational school and earned two associate degrees. However, the vocational/trade school route is not the only route to entry.

The first thing you want to ask yourself is if this is the type of work you want to do. Working in the trades can be extremely challenging and interesting. However, it can also present some difficulties. For most of the trades, you do need a good level of mechanical ability. To be an electrician, the mechanical aptitude is much less. I, for one, have very little mechanical aptitude.

Another question you want to ask yourself is what your goals would be as an electrician. Are you interested in construction? If so, what type? Residential? Commercial? Industrial? All three? Or, are you interested in maintenance?

Once you pick a direction, you'll need to look into what it takes to get a license. Most every state has different laws. Some of the larger cities will have requirements of their own. Speaking for my state only, we do have to have a certain number of classroom hours learning a variety of different subjects.

It is possible to work for a construction outfit as a laborer in the hopes you'd learn about the electrical trades from the ground up. Keep in mind that the money you'll make will not just depend on the experience you have, but the license level you hold. In order for you to be working as an electrician, you will need a journeyman or a master license in your jurisdiction.

The two routes of entry for you would either be an apprenticeship or trade school. Both routes are a great way to go. One thing I've learned over the years is that those choosing the maintenance route are most often asked to have an associate degree first. Most organizations I've dealt with love that paper. I know of one paper mill not too far from me who want people with a BS in EET to come in as an electrical technician. That just seems to be the reality of our times.

The IBEW has a great apprenticeship program. In some jurisdictions, the coursework you learn as an IBEW apprentice may also be transferred into your local community college. Again, something to consider.

I don't know how old you are, but, you could also look into the Job Corps, if you're under 24. Again, you'd be working as a helper or an apprentice and learning from the ground up.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker65 View Post
I've been an industrial maintenance electrician for 26 years. I got my start by going to a vocational school and earned two associate degrees. However, the vocational/trade school route is not the only route to entry.

The first thing you want to ask yourself is if this is the type of work you want to do. Working in the trades can be extremely challenging and interesting. However, it can also present some difficulties. For most of the trades, you do need a good level of mechanical ability. To be an electrician, the mechanical aptitude is much less. I, for one, have very little mechanical aptitude.

Another question you want to ask yourself is what your goals would be as an electrician. Are you interested in construction? If so, what type? Residential? Commercial? Industrial? All three? Or, are you interested in maintenance?

Once you pick a direction, you'll need to look into what it takes to get a license. Most every state has different laws. Some of the larger cities will have requirements of their own. Speaking for my state only, we do have to have a certain number of classroom hours learning a variety of different subjects.

It is possible to work for a construction outfit as a laborer in the hopes you'd learn about the electrical trades from the ground up. Keep in mind that the money you'll make will not just depend on the experience you have, but the license level you hold. In order for you to be working as an electrician, you will need a journeyman or a master license in your jurisdiction.

The two routes of entry for you would either be an apprenticeship or trade school. Both routes are a great way to go. One thing I've learned over the years is that those choosing the maintenance route are most often asked to have an associate degree first. Most organizations I've dealt with love that paper. I know of one paper mill not too far from me who want people with a BS in EET to come in as an electrical technician. That just seems to be the reality of our times.

The IBEW has a great apprenticeship program. In some jurisdictions, the coursework you learn as an IBEW apprentice may also be transferred into your local community college. Again, something to consider.

I don't know how old you are, but, you could also look into the Job Corps, if you're under 24. Again, you'd be working as a helper or an apprentice and learning from the ground up.
Well my local union says things are pretty slow, but I still have a year left on community college anyways. I'll have a general studies degree, and then I could try an apprenticeship or do the 16 month trade school completely paid for.

I figure if I do trade school, I would have a better chance of an apprenticeship. I think I would eventually like to do industrial/outside electrical work with an electrical company like TVA or AEP rather than residential.

The only reason I'm getting a general studies degree is because I had switched majors from accounting to I.T, and if I stick with I.T it will take me an extra semester, so I think general studies is a better choice, that way if I wanted I could go into a 4 year college and have my general classes out of the way.

But yeah, for right now I'm just going to focus on completing this last year of school, and if I could get a full ride or most of a 4 year school paid for I would probably do that first. I just don't want to go into debt like most college students.

I'll continue to think about it for this upcoming year though, and I'll also look into the job corp as well.

Also, I might add, I do have construction experience but not in electrical. I have done flooring(tile) for commercial projects as well as general residential carpentry(decks,barns,etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment