Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 01:15 PM

212 posts, read 1,003,782 times

Advertisements

I have an office job in which I am often dumped with tight deadlines on projects. I work a lot of long hours and feel stresses ALL the time. In addition, I don't like anyone I work with and my supervisor is awful (gives poor instruction, unwilling to help when I have questions). I am so burnt out even after taking a vacation.

Recently I started feeling chest pains and shortness of breath. One time it got so bad I threw up. I've never had this happen at work before, in fact, at my last job my boss complemented me on appearing so chill when there was a lot of work/pressure. I'm trying to seek new work but it's taking longer than I expected. Has anyone else experienced physical strain from stress on the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 PM

303 posts, read 595,674 times
At one of my previous jobs, I found it a little strange when they told me that they offered unlimited sick days.... that is, until I started actually working there. The job was so stressful that I perpetually kept a very large container of Tums on-hand, because my stomach was so out of wack.

Incidentally, only lasted about 8 months there before I had to throw in the towel. No job is worth physical issues which may follow you long after you vacate the position. Try to stick with it long enough to find a better job but don't beat yourself up if you have to bail before a new opportunity comes along.

Your health comes first, don't let Corporate tell you otherwise!

Old 08-15-2013, 01:49 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,573,621 times
Yes, I had a previous job that was extremely stressful. My boss was a total witch - and every day I got called into the office and chastised for some real or imagined faux paus. Then she started with the bit of "If I don't see some improvement, we're going to let you go..." every...single...day... I started having trouble sleeping, I was throwing up, and finally my hair started to fall out. I expected every single day to get fired. I was looking for a new job and I ordered prescriptions that I could while I knew I still had insurance. I was stressed. Finally, one day I got called into HER bosses office. He had heard stuff and wanted to hear my side of the situation. I told him everything from my perspective, the daily reprimands, her discussing issues about me with my co-workers before I had even been talked to (and their snarky remarks and smirky faces), I told him that she threatened to let me go every single day. The look on his face was priceless. He had no idea....I could tell. He was angry - he said that he paid good money to train supervisors and managers the proper way to do their jobs - and this was not in the book. He took a lot of notes that day. I just told him how I was reacting to the stress - and to just let me go...right that minute...if that was his intention. Just get it over with and be done with it. He had no intention of letting me go - she apparently felt intimidated by me for some reason and we never did have a good relationship after that. He took care of the problem - whatever it was. I stayed there for several years, got very good at my job, and when I finally quit when I was ready to go. I wish you good luck in your situation.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:51 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,318,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
At one of my previous jobs, I found it a little strange when they told me that they offered unlimited sick days.... that is, until I started actually working there. The job was so stressful that I perpetually kept a very large container of Tums on-hand, because my stomach was so out of wack.

Incidentally, only lasted about 8 months there before I had to throw in the towel. No job is worth physical issues which may follow you long after you vacate the position. Try to stick with it long enough to find a better job but don't beat yourself up if you have to bail before a new opportunity comes along.

Your health comes first, don't let Corporate tell you otherwise!
Haha too funny (I mean not really). Same deal here. We get unlimited sick days, but man do they work us like dogs. I actually have had the same issue. Lots of stomach aches from the stress here. I am looking now.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Yes. Not to the point of throwing up, but I did have heartburn, digestion issues, and anxiety to the point where I could not sleep.

I left that place.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

390 posts, read 941,187 times
Yes. All the time. Palpitations, nausea, vomiting

Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I used to come home and get inebriated because of the way I took things at work.

Now I just take deep breaths while the stress is happening and after work jump on the 'ole elliptical machine.

I feel better.

Hangovers just make things worse.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:40 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
I once had a job that was so stressful that I occasionally threw up. I also found I couldn't eat lunch, I was so uptight and my nerves were strung too tightly.

I've never looked for another job so hard in my life - I had to stick it out until I found something else. 2 coworkers of mine went out on short term disability due to the stress. I probably would have joined them if I hadn't found another position. I survived by drinking a lot of nutrition drinks - smoothies and meal replacement drinks. Not ideal, but I found my stomach tolerated them better than solid food, especially for breakfast and lunch.

I also dropped a LOT of weight in a short time - more than was healthy.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Yes, back in 2008 I worked for a company with a shaky history, political to the core, ran a company based on fear and intimidation from senior management, had revolving door board room, and was more concerned about CYA over all else. That company is no longer in existence today, but man it was a pain to be with that company during it's sinking snip days when I was working there. I came into work everyday not knowing what to expect. When you can walk to your desk, read ani email saying your director has been let go with no real explanation, you know you're working in a jungle.

I did 70 hours a week on average with that job, and on a good week I would do like 55-60. I was at that job so much I basically started to order a hotel room close to the campus, just so I would be ready to get to work if needed. The writing was on the wall when I worked an unethical 21 hours straight trying to build out an environment for a client that our overzealous management and sales team unreasonably promised our client. After all that stress, I had to turn around and come back in less than 8 hours.

I was told that if I didn't show up, not to bother ever snowing up again. I started shaking uncontrollably, my heart rate was off the chart, I could have swore I was either having a nervous breakdown or a cardiac arrest. Then I get an email from my manager chastising me on the work I had done building out the environment for the client and they we're not satisfied with our work. Keep in mind they did all of this with no requirements or specs. My manager threw me under the bus when she knew this would be a problem all along. She didn't fight for me or our team, and I got pissed. I quit on the spot, turned in my badge and felt pretty damn good doing it. Leaving out of that place for the last time was a huge burden off my shoulders. I even got a severance despite quitting due to that unethical 21 hour work day I put in. Silence money? I wasn't complaining. I have never let a job stress me out like that since then and never will. I'll do my job, but don't expect me to stress myself to death EVER again.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Very commonly - headaches, inability to sleep well, etc.

My former job wasn't much fun, but at least the stress level was typically only medium and the pay was good. I'm currently badly underemployed in a high-stress, low-reward, dead-end position with lower pay... so, yeah, it makes me sick at times, literally. The job is frustrating enough, but knowing where I *should* be vs. where I *am* makes it even more sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment