Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeAsAngels View Post
Oh, you suspect. You suspect based on what? You know nothing about the company who posted it so why would you suspect it's anything other than one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing, especially since the job was posted from another office in another city?

The last thing the HM said to me wasn't anything that would make me believe he wasn't interested in taking it to the next level.

Calm down fishbrains is just speculating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM

163 posts, read 502,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
welll... you never know.

a friend of mine got to the point with a firm (he's a lawyer) where they were discussing which clients he was bringing with him, where his office was, etc. all that they needed to do was have him meet with one more partner before they made him an offer. they made it sound like a formality.

one morning he was chatting about this kind of stuff with another partner all morning, and then he asked politely if they knew when they could get that meeting set up with the last partner. at that point it had been a couple of weeks before they first mentioned meeting with this guy.

and he was suddenly told that they were going to repost the ad in a different place and keep looking.

the funny thing was, he'd seen this ad posted in his alumni magazine for months and was wondering what the deal was, and just applied cause what the hell. they moved him along super quickly, offered him way more money, etc. and then just couldn't commit at the end. that's probably what had been happening all along.

so yeah. so while it's not the kiss of death that this happens, a hiring manager might make you feel like you're moving on to the next step and then suddenly you just get dropped. i really hope you get it, but be prepared for that.

This job is not anywhere near the level of an attorney. It's not even a management position so I don't understand why they're having so many interviews for such a junior position.

I want this job because it seems like a good opportunity in the long run. The company is respected in its industry. If it was another industry and another company, I'd have never applied for such a junior role.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,682,028 times
Quote:
This job is not anywhere near the level of an attorney. It's not even a management position so I don't understand why they're having so many interviews for such a junior position.

I want this job because it seems like a good opportunity in the long run. The company is respected in its industry. If it was another industry and another company, I'd have never applied for such a junior role.
i'm not comparing the number of interviews. i'm just saying that things can look really good and still fall though. i really, sincerely, hope that's not what's happening here. but it's a possibility.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
Quote:
Oh, you suspect. You suspect based on what? You know nothing about the company who posted it so why would you suspect it's anything other than one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing, especially since the job was posted from another office in another city?

The last thing the HM said to me wasn't anything that would make me believe he wasn't interested in taking it to the next level.
You are right. I don't know anything about the company.

But I do know a fair bit about standard business practices. Companies rarely post jobs just for giggles. You only started this thread because you had suspicions yourself. It makes sense that something happened along the way. It could be any number of things and I listed the most common issues people encounter.

Remember, I did say suspect. I did not say you were a horrible person who deserved starvation and eternal joblessness.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You are right. I don't know anything about the company.

But I do know a fair bit about standard business practices. Companies rarely post jobs just for giggles. You only started this thread because you had suspicions yourself. It makes sense that something happened along the way. It could be any number of things and I listed the most common issues people encounter.

Remember, I did say suspect. I did not say you were a horrible person who deserved starvation and eternal joblessness.
I never claimed that you said anything to that effect. "Suspect" is often based on something logical.

I started this thread before I realized the reposting came from another office/another city which now leads me to believe that the order to repost didn't come from the hiring manager. (deduced using logic). Of course, I could be wrong. I just don't know and I'm a little on edge about it because I've been out of a job a hell of a long time and I am sick and tired of this merry go round.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,078,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchryies View Post
I was once told by a recruiter that if a job is taken down and reposted, there were too many applicants for the position. Also some companies will post and repost jobs due to budget concerns are restructuring...good luck
?? But wouldn't that just make more people apply for the job?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:50 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
?? But wouldn't that just make more people apply for the job?

Reposting a job makes a company look weird regardless of the reason and I agree with you, why repost it when more people will apply?

Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM

212 posts, read 1,004,131 times
Quote:

Any update on this? I hope you got an offer!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
Any update on this? I hope you got an offer!
Thanks. I've heard nothing from this company I've sort of resigned myself into believing that if they really wanted to hire me, I'd have received an offer by now. That said, I'm freelancing for another company that really is excited to have me on their team so I'm not all that sure I want to leave them now even if I were to get an offer from the other place. I guess it would really depend on the offer.

I'm sick of looking for a job and dealing with the games recruiters/hiring managers play with people's lives. Is communication really that much to ask for?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:05 PM

212 posts, read 1,004,131 times
Quote:
Thanks. I've heard nothing from this company I've sort of resigned myself into believing that if they really wanted to hire me, I'd have received an offer by now. That said, I'm freelancing for another company that really is excited to have me on their team so I'm not all that sure I want to leave them now even if I were to get an offer from the other place. I guess it would really depend on the offer.

I'm sick of looking for a job and dealing with the games recruiters/hiring managers play with people's lives. Is communication really that much to ask for?
Sorry to hear that.

I'm in the same boat. I believe you commented on my post about interviewing at a company five times. Welp, they told me today that they are putting a hold on the position for department re-evaluation. I wonder if they actually hired someone else and said this so I'd be less offended by the rejection. Either way, I'm pissed so much of my time was wasted. I really was confident about this one too. Argh!

Best of luck to you. At least you got this freelance job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment