Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 PM

421 posts, read 880,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My bad, I almost missed this one. But if you did meet him (and he passed muster of course), you might expect him to earn that kind of money?

Methinks I must get ready for dinner before I'm in danger of being called out for mocking the impaired.

If he was as amazing as me in every way, then sure, he could make that kind of money.

But it's unlikely, especially just with the knowledge of him being unfocused.

My campers could step all over him with his lack of focus.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
It's called laziness and immaturity.

That's not true.

We don't know what the OP does with all of his free time.

He could be a bumbling scientist for all we know. With his lack of focus, he wouldn't be very successful, but that doesn't mean he's lazy.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
I'm just truly shocked that you're 27, have never had a job, have been allowed to jump from school to school.....and your parents just continue to pay for you. It's kind of mind blowing. Not even McDonald's?!

(I finished college at 20 in a major I did not really choose....my parents basically made me do it, and by senior year I just wanted a degree so I could be done. No one really wants to work, and we're not always 100% sure. Sometimes 60% or even less just has to do. We do it because we have to....so forgive me, but you sound a little delusional.)

How did you finish 4 years of college by 20 years old?

Are you from another country?

No one has to do anything though.

And some people like their jobs.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Sorry, just finished reading everything. Unless you have some sort of disability which makes it extremely difficult for you to obtain or maintain employment, you really don't deserve to be dating, a gym membership, etc. I would not want to date a grown butt man who has never had a job or basically finished college in a decade. Notwithstanding a disability. 27 years old?! And no kind of job, ever.....? How have you managed to buy books? I thought there was a limit on borrowing money for school. Are your parents borrowing money for you? Do you have a trust fund that you're living off of, or what? Jesus, take the wheel.....

I keep repeating this, but I truly do not understand this. At all.

Some parents just want their kids to enjoy life and, if they have the financial resources to pay for everything for their kids, well why not then?

Maybe you wouldn't want to date someone whose never had a job, but there are plenty of wealthy men like him who also have never held a job who lots of women would love to date.

You're also assuming that every female is an accomplished professional as well. The reality is that there's plenty of desperate women out there who would date this guy just because he has a car to pick her up in.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
OP clearly it was a mistake not having some sort of position/job from birth to 27. However since I don't know of any method to go back in time I don't see any point in harping/berating you for your error. And to those that do come down on the OP- Clearly he made a mistake, no doubt about that, but unless you know of a way to travel back in time why pester him continuously about the past, how he got there etc... its a waste. Instead Id rather offer solutions for the present/future rather than asking how in the world did he not have some sort of job yet- a mistake clearly but honestly what is the point in dwelling on the past, no amount of criticism is not going to change the fact that he has not held a position yet. The past is the past, he made a mistake, let it go.

OP you ,mention you are doing Accounting, that is good-FINISH THAT. No doubt you will encounter a class or moments when you really want to give up or switch majors. However you are 27 years old, not 18,19, 20 etc... there is no time/money to switch majors. Accounting pays well, the hardships encountered will be well worth it when you graduate- SEE THE DEGREE THROUGH, it will not all be rosy and yes I am sorry for that but that is life.

Temp agenices are another idea, but just because its temp does not mean its a guaranteed get. Do not think just because it some low level office/warehouse position that you will get it, those jobs are competitive as well. Still it only benefits you to apply to a temp agency.

As for the job. At this point id say the most important thing is to have SOMETHING, ANYTHING, SOMETHING. And yes retail, McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King etc... counts as something. If you are not able to find some sort of paid or unpaid internship and or job with your accounting degree then take the retail/fast food. You need something on the resume. Also do not wait till you finish the accounting degree to look for work. Start looking now and or first summer off- do NOT wait till the degree is finished to find work- find work early.

TLDR-

To sum up, yes you screwed up by not having some sort of work/internship up to this point. However unlike some I do not believe your life is over and you are dammed forever. For starters:

1) Finish the degree
2) Get a job/internship- SOMETHING to put on the resume. If that something ends up being accounting related fine, if not that is FINE as well. Even Wendy's "Feburary-August 2014" looks better on the resume than blank space.
3) Do not wait till the end to look for work. Look now, look this semester, look this summer. And start early, start applying for internships, paid work EARLY.

I agree that no major can be super easy and pay well, but if the OP really hates accounting, he should quit the major.

I personally could never quit anything, but it is clear the OP is not like me at all.

Also, I call baloney when people just say "that's life" as an excuse for solving the real problem.

Honestly, those low level positions aren't going to make the OP in a better position. Anytime I see an adult over 30 in a fast food place, I always think to myself, "Wow, that person must have failed in life."

And if they make a mistake with my order, that only confirms it for me. And if OP cannot focus on tasks, he is likely to make mistakes with orders.

I think I'd have more respect for an unemployed person because at least then there's the possibility that they just need an unusually long amount of time to figure out what they want to do, but if the best they can come up with is working in McDonalds, that proves they have no potential at all.

If I saw "Wendy's "Feburary-August 2014" on a resume, I'd probably laugh hysterically before shredding it. Maybe I'd remember the OP over the other 49 resumes I shred, but he still wouldn't get the job regardless.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:14 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
Delivering mail is essential, but the rest are things we could do without.
Let's see how we do without manufacturing of tools, cars, appliances, etc.; how the Northeast and other major metropolitan areas would function without railroads and trains; without oil; with retail stores in shambles because of no staff; and having one or two restaurant managers serving and cleaning for all patrons because buspersons are non-essential.

My own mother dreamed of being a teacher since a little girl. She taught for 30 years and detested the last ten, not because she hated teaching itself, but because of other unavoidable reasons. Same goes for a teacher friend of mine who has grown to detest his field but nevertheless needs to earn a living.

What would be your advice to such people--you know people over 30 years old who already have anchors in their lives--kids, wife, home, other expenses--who don't have time or money or the unique situation to "find themselves" and start anew or for endless experimentation or to come out with a new killer website or product so they can live the Four Hour Work Week and join the "New Rich".

Glad to see you think hard working, dependable and dedicated people as mindless sheep.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM

537 posts, read 769,042 times
Quote:
How did you finish 4 years of college by 20 years old?

Are you from another country?

No one has to do anything though.

And some people like their jobs.
I skipped grades in primary and secondary school and I started college at 15.

You do have to do something. How else would you survive? Seriously, even criminals do something (however illegal it may be).

Yes, some people like their jobs. But many people would not go to work if they weren't getting paid. Truth.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:27 PM

537 posts, read 769,042 times
Quote:
Some parents just want their kids to enjoy life and, if they have the financial resources to pay for everything for their kids, well why not then?

Maybe you wouldn't want to date someone whose never had a job, but there are plenty of wealthy men like him who also have never held a job who lots of women would love to date.

You're also assuming that every female is an accomplished professional as well. The reality is that there's plenty of desperate women out there who would date this guy just because he has a car to pick her up in.
Most parents want their kids to enjoy life. But there's this thing called reality. You have to survive. Unless you're living off the fat of the land I'm not sure how your child would be expected to survive without a way to exchange currency for goods and services (which is how we get by, i.e., survive). Even in countries that are socioeconomically disadvantaged, people DO SOMETHING. They must. To survive. Get it?

I realize that some people are just wealthy, which is why I asked about the trust. If the OP has a trust fund, I'm not sure why this person would be asking for advice, can't go on dates, can't afford a gym membership, etc. Even with a trust fund, you have to do something (e.g., understand how to get the money, understand how the trust works, keep an eye on how much money you have remaining, think of ways to keep the trust going such as investing it, hire someone to do all the thinking for you so you can eat, poop, pee, and sleep, etc.).

Women don't just want any penis with a bank account. Women want someone who has goals and some level of focus. I'm not seeing it in someone who hasn't had a job and just can't decide on eleventy fields of study. Dating, marriage, etc. is about companionship. Typically people want a companion who is bringing something to the table that works for him/her. Most people get tired of being with someone who just can't decide. Come on. Life is not Baskin Robbins. You have to decide....something. And if you can't, yes, you need a psych eval. And I mean that in earnest.

No, I'm assuming that people by and large aren't desperate enough to want someone who brings basically nothing to the table but a warm body. A warm body gets old and you begin thinking "is this all there is?" Most people will leave a warm body for a warm body + x, x being something of value that increases the quality of life of the other.

I've never seen someone make so many excuses, ever. Really?!

Last edited by lanhvtnymd; 08-27-2013 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-27-2013, 08:29 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times
Quote:
I agree that no major can be super easy and pay well, but if the OP really hates accounting, he should quit the major.

I personally could never quit anything, but it is clear the OP is not like me at all.

Also, I call baloney when people just say "that's life" as an excuse for solving the real problem.

Honestly, those low level positions aren't going to make the OP in a better position. Anytime I see an adult over 30 in a fast food place, I always think to myself, "Wow, that person must have failed in life."

And if they make a mistake with my order, that only confirms it for me. And if OP cannot focus on tasks, he is likely to make mistakes with orders.

I think I'd have more respect for an unemployed person because at least then there's the possibility that they just need an unusually long amount of time to figure out what they want to do, but if the best they can come up with is working in McDonalds, that proves they have no potential at all.

If I saw "Wendy's "Feburary-August 2014" on a resume, I'd probably laugh hysterically before shredding it. Maybe I'd remember the OP over the other 49 resumes I shred, but he still wouldn't get the job regardless.
Can you explain what is loserish about serving food? Should we eliminate fast food restaurants altogether considering most working in them are losers and "failed in life".

Do you go to restaurants at all, fast food or otherwise? What do you think of waiters who serve you?

You have more respect for someone to be unemployed? Well what if this unemployed person doesn't have a huge nest egg upon which s/he can sit while whistling dixie and figuring out what they want to do yet have to EAT and PAY RENT and has to find a job of any sorts for a time being?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
Quote:

Those who work at fast food usually do it because there is no other choice. It is not as if they got a better job offer but opted for fast food . The op has nothing , no job experience at all. How long can he hold out unemployed looking for work before he becomes unhireable? What if he hits 30 and still never any job? At some point the employer is going to ask wth...

I strongly , strongly hope , recommend that the op gets some sort of accounting type job , internship or any job that is not fast food. However he has to ask himself how long can he go unemployed before it hurts his résumé ? Also and probably most importantly, if the op does end up with a retail/ fast food job , he can and should still be looking for a real job. Just because you do fast food does not mean you are doomed to stay at fast food forever.

Again I hope the op finds a real job, internship. If not and the op has to do fast food, then the op must still be looking for real work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.