Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM

87 posts, read 78,330 times

Advertisements

Hello all..

I am an openly gay female currently searching for work since being laid off in February 2013. I. The past, I have went to job interviews dressed feminine. Land the job and come to work as myself. I believe thus has backfired, causing me to lose positions. You can be fired in many states for being gay. During this current course of unemployment, I decided to approach a "come as you are" mentality. Wear my dress shirts, ties and slacks to the interviews. Be myself. I don't know id this approach scares or intimidates employers. Although my attire is masculine, I have a very proper and feminine speaking voice. Which I believe throws most people off. I don't know how to address this issue. I don't want to mislead, nor do I want to be untrue to myself.

I primarily work in CBO's and call centers. I have background in medical collections and insurance sales. I have been contemplating becoming self employed to entirely avoid dealing with the workforce all together, however, I need to find a way to finance this venture. With my credit in shambles, I HAVE to work to start my business.

Then there's the issue of background checks. This problem doesn't only apply to felons. I have misdemeanor charges from 11 years ago. It seems now, more than in the past, employers are doing background checks. I actually was offered a position in June, given a start date, and was denied employment because I failed the background check. I was honest and did not omit any information. I also provided additional information as requested. No dice. I have worked for hospitals and in a Licensed Insurance Producer. If anyone knows about the Insurance industry, you know you have to be fingerprinted and there is a THOROUGH background check. As prior stated, I want to work independantly, but need capital to cove expenses to start up a business.

Does anyone have any information on grants I may be eligible for? Or any advice to help me deal with a homophobic workforce. I do acknowledge that people are more open minded and understanding of the LBGT community, howeverthere. are still many who aren't comfortable around gays and lesbians. I

Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 AM

I apologize for the typos and grammar errors. I'm used my cell phone to post this. And POSITIVE advice will be greatly appreciated.

Vernesther

Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
You said "Land the job and come to work as myself. I believe thus has backfired, causing me to lose positions. You can be fired in many states for being gay."

How did this employer know that you are gay?

Old 09-01-2013, 10:45 AM

896 posts, read 1,177,546 times
Can you give us a specific example of your being fired for being gay? Your opening post merely speculates. Lets have a concrete example. I would be very surprised to hear of a successful insurance salesman being fired for being gay. Why were you laid off in Feb?

As for the background check issue, you just have to suck it up. There are consequences for illegal actions and you are now reaping what you sowed.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:46 AM

I am a "butch" lesbian. Its pretty obvious. I used to go to interviews dressed feminine, and when I would land the job, wear the attire I'm comfortable wearing. I have been advised that that approach can be misleading and viewed as dishonest.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernesther View Post
I am a "butch" lesbian. Its pretty obvious. I used to go to interviews dressed feminine, and when I would land the job, wear the attire I'm comfortable wearing. I have been advised that that approach can be misleading and viewed as dishonest.

Again, how do you know you were fired for being gay?

If you were a cross-dressing man, should you go to an interview in a dress since it's what you're comfortable with and you don't want to be "misleading" by wearing a suit and tie?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 AM

896 posts, read 1,177,546 times
A warning about your new "come as you are" approach to dressing for interviews: heterosexuals don't get to do that . I would like to show up in a wife beater and lounge pants, but I don't. Everyone dresses in an unrealistic manner for job interviews and yes that should include you too. Being a lesbian does not exempt you from the rule, wear a woman's pantsuit, end of story.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM

Ok..and when I have wore a "women's pant suit" in the past, yes I may get the job, but be judged and likely fired for "misleading the employer". Should it matter if its a men's or woman's suit as long as I look professional?

Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 AM

Unfortunately, as displayed, there will always be homophobia.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 AM

I don't want to be misleading by dressing feminine since that's not what I'm comfortable doing. Why is that so hard to understand? I feel I've been very clear. And my choice of attire has absolutely NOTHING to do with my ability to function on a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment