Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,498,785 times

Advertisements

The Jobs That Could Save the Middle Class

Ok get in line for the future.

The Jobs That Could Save the Middle Class | The Exchange - Yahoo! Finance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:07 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
The Jobs That Could Save the Middle Class

Ok get in line for the future.

The Jobs That Could Save the Middle Class | The Exchange - Yahoo! Finance
What a vague, incomprehensible article... I have no idea what they are alluding to exactly. We already have auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians, HVAC guys and welders. These are not new industries, and most will not be seeing any dramatic growth. As a matter of fact, I believe these jobs will simply stagnate even if there is growth. More efficient ways to get things done will be found in every profession that exists today, with few exceptions. Reducing labor costs increases profitability for major corporations and small businesses alike. That's motivation enough to figure out ways to make workers more productive.

I believe we will see another change continue to escalate... Every job is going to require more and more from every worker. More continuing education, more certifications, more personal investment in time and money. Employment is going to be an ugly animal going forward. Even for the trades mentioned in this article, workers are continuously finding that they have to upgrade their skillsets, or risk falling behind. Fall too far behind and become unemployable. And a great deal of one's chances of success depend greatly on their employer. Work for the wrong company, learn the wrong stuff, and watch the company and your career lose competitive advantage.

The one nice thing though is so much information is available on the internet. I can renew certifications, or even pursue additional certs from my computer. There are also tons of free info to be accessed for free with the click of the mouse. People really have no excuse not to learn new concepts that will aid in their employment endeavors in many professions.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
More efficient ways to get things done will be found in every profession that exists today, with few exceptions. Reducing labor costs increases profitability for major corporations and small businesses alike. That's motivation enough to figure out ways to make workers more productive.
So your for getting out more production with less employees,
lowering employees wages, and pilling more work load
on each employee ... for as you say more

(profitability for major corporations and small businesses alike )

Hey everyone meet the new Chairman and Campaign Manager for the wealthy

( Corporations and the 1% group )

Old 08-31-2013, 03:42 PM

29,835 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
So your for getting out more production with less employees,
lowering employees wages, and pilling more work load
on each employee ... for as you say more

(profitability for major corporations and small businesses alike )

Hey everyone meet the new Chairman and Campaign Manager for the wealthy

( Corporations and the 1% group )
Where the heck did I say this? I'm simply pointing out the reality. These forces are working against me just as much as anyone else. My job, and many like it, are 10 times as productive as they were just 10 or 20 years ago. Unfortunately, wages are a function of supply and demand, not total output. You think I'm happy about stagnant wages, and the funneling of my productive efforts to the top?

Exactly why I stated employment is an ugly animal going forward. Even running a small business is extremely competitive. Corporations simply select the lowest bidder to do their work, often leaving little profit for the small business owner. Depending on the industry, small business owners are making truly massive investments in hopes of acquiring the latest technology to gain a competitive edge. All for today's ultra slim Walmart profit margins of single digit returns.

The good ol days are over. Both consumers and corporations have access to resources that didn't exist 20 years ago in their pursuit for the lowest bidder. It's called "the race to the bottom". As for workers, they must know more than previous generations, just to earn a wage that pales in comparison adjusted for inflation. Go find someone else to pin the blame on, along with your aggression. And don't shoot the messenger in your witch hunt.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Those jobs in the service trade are not going to rebuild the middle class. For those that already fill those jobs to keep working, they need people that make enough to afford their services. People making minimum wage don't do a lot of home remodeling, renovations, or even repairs, because they don't usually own homes.

Those lower middle class jobs went away more because of government regulation
than automation, they still exist but are in China. With more automation they could come back, the way to build back the middle class is to develop more high tech robotics experts.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
This is no longer the 1950s. With automation and outsourcing growing there will be a significant amount of the population unemployed/unemployable. I'm just not sure how society is going to deal with this.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is no longer the 1950s. With automation and outsourcing growing there will be a significant amount of the population unemployed/unemployable. I'm just not sure how society is going to deal with this.
You'll see generations leaning on each other.

It's becoming more and more commonplace for persons to live with their parents in their 20s and throughout their 30s, just to have some $ saved and in case of periods of unemployment.

Even people who are older (50+) sometimes need to seek the help of real estate that already has its mortgage paid for by older generations.

It's just going to be hard.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Those lower middle class jobs went away more because of government regulation
than automation, they still exist but are in China.
Wrong.

You can bet your life savings those jobs wouldn't be in China if the government enforced international trade the way they did in the 1950s (today, international trade is NOT regulated).

Old 09-01-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Wrong.

You can bet your life savings those jobs wouldn't be in China if the government enforced international trade the way they did in the 1950s (today, international trade is NOT regulated).
The Big Corporations and the 1% will not let them regulate international trade.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Wrong.

That is true but also, the jobs would not be in China if the cost of meeting government regulations here were a lot less. I am a former business owner and had to spend a good amount of time and money dealing with various local, state, and federal requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment