Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 09:47 AM

24 posts, read 38,527 times

Advertisements

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread,

OP here. I'm still teaching, but am also working on my resume, LinkedIn profile, etc, and will start to apply to non-teaching jobs as the semester winds down. I am seeing a lot of ads for copywriters, technical writers, corporate trainers and in many cases I feel my background would be a good fit for these jobs. I have no illusions about how tough the job market is, and I know that I am in quite a bind in terms of interviewing and landing a job while still teaching.

With that said, I have started to think about the job application process. I have already formatted a resume (I have a CV, but I have run a resume by some trusted friends who have parlayed liberal arts degrees into decent, steady jobs and have taken their advice) but in the process have started to wonder about how to translate my experience in education to non-teaching jobs.

For instance, I was browsing one job application, and it had a short questionnaire at the end. One question was the ever popular "describe a difficult moment in your job". I thought about this question, and I'm not sure I have an answer that would be very desirable to most employers. Here is what I came up with: once, when I first started teaching, I had several bright, promising students who often did not show up for class. I emailed them, and spoke to them in person, about the need to come to class and turn their assignments in on time. This worked, for a short while. Fast forward to the end of my first semester as an adjunct: several of these aforementioned students failed the course. Now, I knew that they were better than this, but their work just wasn't up to snuff. I debated whether I should be generous and pass them, or just flunk them with the 67.5% (a 70% would pass) they had earned. I chose to flunk them. I wrote them each short, individualized emails explaining to them why they failed, and that I was sorry I had to do this but that I felt I had no other choice. I was encouraging, and told them I would be happy to have them as students again (because they failed, they had to re-do the course, although it was offered by another professor at that time). Fast forward again, and several of them re-took my course and passed, clearly having learned their lesson from their failure.

Now, is this an example I could use if I ever get asked to describe a difficult moment? Granted, I would clean it up and make it more concise. On the one hand, I feel like a hiring manager might think "wow, he must have been an awful professor if students failed his course," or "wow, this guy is a pushover if he let those bums take a class again," or "hmmm, he clearly can't manage others if some of his students failed. He must be bad at communicating." Still, I wonder if this might not show that I am principled but also reasonable, and that I can uphold certain policies (ie doing your term papers and coming to class regularly, else you fail the course) and back up any breaches of those policies with documentation, while still remaining fair?

Ultimately, I find myself wondering how on earth to talk about my experiences in high education without sounding like I'm from the planet Mars. Has anyone else here made this transition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:52 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
I think that's a great example. It shows you were proactive and fair with your students. There are plenty of situations in any office job that would lend themselves well to the situation described. Plus its not a fluff story and gives a real example of a tough situation.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
OP, have you seen this blog? 100 Reasons NOT to Go to Graduate School

I wouldn't recommend reading it when you are feeling discouraged about your situation, but if you feel like you need to connect with others who are struggling with a similar dilemma, the comments on this blog are excellent.

PS: I don't have any good advice for you, but I think its important to not give in to feeling hopeless or powerless, which is easy to do when circumstances seem challenging. You never know where a door will open for you.

Not sure if its your thing, but I have found that a daily meditation practice (insight meditation) helps me become aware of possibilities and options that I normally wouldn't notice. Its subtle, but it definitely happens. It might be something to consider so that your mind becomes open to all possibilities.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:35 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
OP, have you seen this blog? 100 Reasons NOT to Go to Graduate School

I wouldn't recommend reading it when you are feeling discouraged about your situation, but if you feel like you need to connect with others who are struggling with a similar dilemma, the comments on this blog are excellent.
Piling on the OP - who is trying to improve his situation - is not helpful.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 PM

Thank you, Arthur. Both of your posts are appreciated.

Edit, since a couple posts went through as I was writing this. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that blog. I am familiar with it, and it does raise some valid points about grad school life, and the realities one stands to face post-grad school. So, it's appreciated, and I will look at the comments section. I do want to make it clear that I have basically ruled out going to graduate school and pursuing a PhD in history. Unless I have a change of heart soon, and manage to get excepted into a Harvard or a Yale, I doubt I will ever return to academia as a student. The death of tenure-track jobs is only one reason for this.

I would appreciate hearing what others have to say.

Also, on a somewhat related note, I called a company regarding a job posting that I saw that seemed of interest to me. The receptionist offered to put me through to the recruiter who was in charge of this opening (I apologize, I guess I don't know the lingo). I declined her offer, since I have no way of taking a new job at the moment.

That got me thinking, though. I come from a different background, so I don't know how to play the game. Is it normal to be put through to a recruiter? Is it worth talking to a recruiter? I assume she is in HR and, as such, is probably overwhelmed with filling positions with which she is not completely familiar. On the other hand it could allow me to form a connection with her.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Graduate school is a worthwhile experience and great if you A.) already have a job in the field but want to progress without waiting 5-10 years or B.) you have the ability to obtain tuition reimbursement from your employer.

I received my BA in English lit and an MS in Professional Writing (Private & Public Sectors). It is possible to do well with a traditionally Liberal Arts degree.

Old 10-01-2013, 02:49 PM

I would also mention that graduate school is worthwhile if C.) you can get a fully funded position, which I did. I achieved my MA from a reputable institution while also putting some money in the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment