Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,104,631 times

Advertisements

Considering time, money, and potential employment, what's more useful in today's economy? Receiving a technical college certificate or bachelor's degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 04:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
It depends.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:49 AM

58 posts, read 124,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Considering time, money, and potential employment, what's more useful in today's economy? Receiving a technical college certificate or bachelor's degree?
Considering the expense of college, the technical certificate is better.

Is the technical college accredited? You can check an online database.

Search Institutional Accreditation System

Can you transfer the credits earned at the technical college to a four-year college for a degree later, if you choose to do so?

Depending on the certificate, sometimes you have to obtain it from an association or organization by paying a membership and/or testing fee, not a technical college, like the SPHR from the HRCI or the CPLP from the ASTD or the PMP from the PMI.

It's getting ridiculous with certificates.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:09 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,372 times
A certificate from a well recognized plumbing program is probably worth a whole lot more than a BA in sociology in most cases, in terms of employability and return on investment.

Within the same field, if a bachelor's degree is typically the gateway to employment then a tech school certificate isn't likely to cut it. Likewise, if tech school is the norm then a bachelor's is probably overkill.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 AM

58 posts, read 124,909 times
Technical schools that are for-profit, are not accredited, and are not able to transfer credits to a four-year degree granting college, are probably not the best places to go, in my opinion.

Community colleges are usually the better route, where you earn an associates degree that can be applied toward a bachelor's degree. You also can earn a certificate or a license.

I don't see education or training as really the best route to employment if you have no job or experience in the career field. Attending classes and making contacts with faculty, staff, and other students usually leads to a bigger network.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,162,924 times
Both

You will be more valuable than ever. That is the route that I took.

Sent from watch

Old 09-03-2013, 11:53 AM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
If you are seeking a technical career and the technical school offers relevant education which matches the needs of today's employers, I'd say get the technical school certificate.

If you are seeking a more well rounded education, I'd say get the BA/BS.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,713,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
If you are seeking a technical career and the technical school offers relevant education which matches the needs of today's employers, I'd say get the technical school certificate.

If you are seeking a more well rounded education, I'd say get the BA/BS.
The problem with tech schools is they only train you in the specifics. Are they going to teach you critical thinking? Presentation skills? Communication skills? While learning how to design a circuit or program may land you a job, you'll likely not advance far without a more formal education. Many of the BS/BA classes that students often refer to as "worthless" are actually trying to teach you something, even if you don't realize it until 20 years later.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,776 times
Depends on what job you are trying to get. Some want a bachelors, some you only need a certificate or two year associates. So really...depends.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,379,395 times
Far too broad and both are hit or miss. Depends on your field of study and career.

There's some poor harvard grads that can't find work I'm sure just as there are very successful tech school grads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment