Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:25 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,085,326 times

Advertisements

So you have no real skills or experience. You can't be bothered to put in any effort. And your interests are all over the place.

How do you pay rent or bills?

Do you at least have a degree?

There are tons of people who aren't crazy about their jobs, but guess what? It pays the bills and allows them to pursue their hobbies, spend time with family, etc.

If you do have a degree look for jobs in that field. That's your best bet since it sounds like you have little work experience. Unfortunately not many people will be excited to hire a 28 year old who's done nothing since college. Get a real job as soon as you can, deal with the "torture" like everyone else. Then in a few years you'll have a lot more options available to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,718,604 times
I think you are being held back by a basic misconception that work has to be fun. It usually isn't. That's why they call it work. If it was just about fun, they'd call it fun instead! Go back to engineering. It will be mind numbing but it's your best chance to make decent money so you can have some fun after work.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
I think you are being held back by a basic misconception that work has to be fun. It usually isn't. That's why they call it work. If it was just about fun, they'd call it fun instead! Go back to engineering. It will be mind numbing but it's your best chance to make decent money so you can have some fun after work.

I think right now this is the biggest issue, that work will be fun, that everyone will get that entry level office job and never have to dip a toe in retial, fast food , minimum wage land , that yes I will hold out and eventually land that dream job. That works for a few weeks after graduation, months heck maybe even a year if you are that bold/crazy. But you are 28 and you have not been in med school or law school or some sort of intense academic training that would excuse not having any work experience. At this point you need something , anything . 18 and no work experience doesn't seem too bad, heck 21 and no work experience is not a total wash but you are 28 , how long can you use the excuse of " I am still looking for my ideal job?" Before you become unemployable? At some point the employer wil wonder " you are 28 what the heck haveyou been doing"?

What I recommend op is get work any type of work even the dreaded retail, fast food stuff. At the same time keep looking for the ideal postion and I really do hope you find it, but you cannot hold out forever. The " I am still finding myself, dream career etc..." Excuse has a limited warranty, at 28 I'd say its expired

Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,062 times
How about Finance/Accounting? Your engineering degree will be helpful because of the technical skills you could bring in plus you are good at Math. For internal finance positions, you don't really need to be outgoing and if it's accounting you can pretty much keep to yourself.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,086,951 times
I think you should join the military. I hear you get a BACKBONE with your 3 hots and a cot.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:15 PM

258 posts, read 422,279 times
You're just going to have to compromise. I seriously can't believe that you thought it was remotely OK to show up to a job over an hour late and sit there and do nothing. I'm just floored.

As far as being self employed, you have already made it quite clear that you do not have nor plan to gain the skills necessary. You've said you aren't outgoing and can't sell things, well, anything you would want to do to employ yourself would require you to be outgoing with clients/customers and be able to sell your product or service. You want to focus on the parts that are fun, and I'd assume you gloss over the important groundwork that is tedious and boring and needs to be done in order to be successfully self employed. No matter what you do, there will always be parts of EVERY job that are boring, tedious, or that you just don't like to do.

I also feel like you haven't given a very good picture of things you LIKE and are at all interested in other than celebrities.

~Katy

Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,122,825 times
I KIND OF understand, I studied accounting and have no interest in it. My current job pays a little better than accounting so no big loss. But, you have bills to pay so that means do your damn job like a responsible adult. I worked a job I hated for the last two years because it was the only thing I could find to keep a roof over my head. Life is not all peaches and cream.
I'd love to get paid to drive exotic cars, or outdoor photography but in reality, that isn't going to happen. So you know what I do? I go to work and when I'm not at work, I do the things I want to do, that's how adulthood works.

If you can't produce enough income doing what you want, you're not that good at it. Not to be mean, I just mean you need more practice. So, instead of trying to go into it full steam ahead, step back and work your job and practice in your free time.

I intend to start my own business the beginning of next year. I got a job that will help me learn vital things I need to know.
Look for something related to the field you want to pursue. Then you gain valuable information that will help you be successful. Things you otherwise wouldn't know.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,937,877 times
Many people don't like their jobs. That's why companies have to pay you to come in. Not advocating picking something you hate, but if you hate nearly everything, which it seems to be the case, you might be stuck. Engineering can be a very good choice with great opportunities. Maybe you should find something within the engineering spectrum that you can tolerate?

Personally, the jobs that I enjoyed the most paid the least. Of course, I don't want to live in the ghetto and I enjoy eating food beyond top Ramen, so I can't make a career out of low paying work. If I were in your shoes, I would count your blessings. There are many people who would trade their low paying jobs for your engineering degree and the opportunities it can afford.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 PM

14 posts, read 20,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
You're just going to have to compromise. I seriously can't believe that you thought it was remotely OK to show up to a job over an hour late and sit there and do nothing. I'm just floored.

As far as being self employed, you have already made it quite clear that you do not have nor plan to gain the skills necessary. You've said you aren't outgoing and can't sell things, well, anything you would want to do to employ yourself would require you to be outgoing with clients/customers and be able to sell your product or service. You want to focus on the parts that are fun, and I'd assume you gloss over the important groundwork that is tedious and boring and needs to be done in order to be successfully self employed. No matter what you do, there will always be parts of EVERY job that are boring, tedious, or that you just don't like to do.

I also feel like you haven't given a very good picture of things you LIKE and are at all interested in other than celebrities.

~Katy
i didnt think it was ok to arrive late but it got to a point where i had no motivation to do the job, it was a computer job and all day id be at the computer and wanting the day to be over so i can go home
i guess im not surprised that i was fired

maybe if its an online business, im ok to email people ad maybe try to sell something online but i cant do it in person

im willing to learn skills for self employment but i dont know how this can be learned, like there isnt really a degree and you cant go to school for that so i thought that you have to have a talent for business, i dont know

Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 PM

14 posts, read 20,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
So you have no real skills or experience. You can't be bothered to put in any effort. And your interests are all over the place.

How do you pay rent or bills?

Do you at least have a degree?

There are tons of people who aren't crazy about their jobs, but guess what? It pays the bills and allows them to pursue their hobbies, spend time with family, etc.

If you do have a degree look for jobs in that field. That's your best bet since it sounds like you have little work experience. Unfortunately not many people will be excited to hire a 28 year old who's done nothing since college. Get a real job as soon as you can, deal with the "torture" like everyone else. Then in a few years you'll have a lot more options available to you.
i have a bachelor in engineering, masters in philosophy and diploma in fashion and media studies, and basic coursework in computers, film, (i know a bit random..)
i lived in the uk for a while

i did some volunteer work for a while in greece related to environment conservation, they provide a basic place to live and basic people take turns cooking for everyone and put a little money into a pot but it came out to like less than $100/month, but it was only for 2 months
once i did an 'exchange' program where stayed in italy for a couple months with a host family while i was supposed to teach conversational english to their daughter, well the daughter didnt like to study and was always out with friends or her boyfriend so besides just talking at dinner i didnt really see her much, she was also a lot younger than me, in high school, and very social, so i guess i didnt really fit into her social life very well and never saw her much
i didnt have to pay rent and they provide food so i didnt really any expenses during that time, besides just like for transportation and entertainment, and i could live off of like 200/month during that time
i did have to pay for the travel but it was still less i think than if i lived in an apartment

the rest of the time i just usually take random part time jobs to try to make the bills but its just things like waitress, typing data entry or other low level office work that isnt really a "career" and i usually get fired from them, one-time gigs that i find on craigslist, but its hard to get these jobs too and i did them at like $8-10 / hour so i could pay my bills but i cant really do it as a career, but sometimes i apply to many of the gigs on craigslist and dont hear a response.. so its difficult to find something
a couple years ago the advertising revenue on blogs was better and there was a good month or two where it was a little higher, but that didnt stay that way for long and it ran out very soon

Last edited by nicoler09; 09-07-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment