Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 AM

14 posts, read 20,870 times

Advertisements

Hi, I wanted to ask if anyone has any advice about what career might be good for me.

-I am 28, I studied engineering but I didn't like it or want to do anything in that area, personally I like things like film, philosophy, etc. but I am not good at it. I took some film classes this summer and I love them but I don't excel at it (I got B grades). In engineering, the problem is that I really didn't like it and it felt like torture sometimes. It helped me to get some technical skills but I don't want to actually work in engineering. In high school I was good at math and science, but they are not my real passions. After I graduated, I also took classes in fashion, communications, and philosophy to explore my interests but again in these areas even if I try my best, I am only average at best and don't excel.

I spent a long time looking at jobs recently and nothing at all appeals to me.
im not interested in healthcare/medicine (even the thought of being in a hospital all day is painful)
i cannot do programming or tech jobs sitting there all day at a computer
i am not manager material, in my life i have always been the follower, i cannot convince anyone to do anything or inspire people
i cannot do jobs that involves sales or convincing people like real estate or.. sales or something where you envision someone very talkative and outgoing
im not good at explaining things so i dont think i would be a good teacher, maybe mediocre at best

when i was younger, i was pretty quiet, i was more of an introvert especially in public, i never talked in class i was a math nerd, etc. since starting college 10 years ago, i developed my extrovert side more, now i am an ambivert according to some tests online
I know I definitely like to have some time by myself to just relax and think about things
But I also like to meet up with people and do things with friends, etc., concerts, meeting people, etc.
I'm on my computer a lot

What I would like to do.. is work for myself, but I've already been trying this for over 5 years and nothing that I have tried has been successful enough to do this.
ive tried to start websites but they just dont make anywhere near enough to support myself not even to pay the rent
I started some blogs online, I learned wordpress/html myself, I tried to blog "full time" but couldn't make enough to support myself
I spend a lot of my time watching tv series, movies, hollywood, I tried to start a gossip blog but it hasn't been successful, and I only got $1/day after spending 5-10 hours+ a day on it consistently for a couple months.
I have tried to sell things online but even when I devote all my time to it, it doesn't really get anywhere, and sometimes I lose money
I think I lack a business gene
i like learning about websites but just the blogging part, i dont like the technical aspects of it (like coding)
but im not a good writer (my worst subject in high school was actually english), and at best even if i try my best im only mediocre
and sometimes when im blogging i cant think of what to write and i feel like im forcing myself to write something
i make a lot of common sense mistakes in my business dealings, that when i tell other people about it they think that theres something wrong with me. for example i accidentally turned down an offer i couldnt afford to lose before because im stupid, and i asked for a higher price, which upset the other person. also when i deal with other people i suck at negotiating and always end up losing out and paying too much. once in another random situation a little kid came up to me told me a story about how he needed some money for his mom's birthday, so i gave it to him, then i realized it was a scam. basically, i am terrible at negotiating with people, people can easily get me to pay too much or get what they want and i dont know how to deal with it.
i think very slowly "on my feet" and tend to make bad decisions
i think that i lack complete talent in business dealins, i know working for yourself isnt the same thing and you dont need to be good at business to be successful as an "entrepreneur" or self meployment but it does help since your income will be from customers and it helps to know how to deal with people . ive been told that im bad at dealing with people and i think its true.

i really dont know what to do
i have tried full time and part time jobs before and i couldnt keep them and got fired completely no interest and it just felt like torture, and i had no motivation to come into work, i would come in an hour or two late, at work i would just surf the web because the work was so mind numbing
i have tried a job as a waitress, web programmer, quality assurance assistant, lab assistant

any advice?
thanks!

Last edited by nicoler09; 09-07-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,589,206 times
Lots of people don't like their jobs, and lots of people feel tortured going to work. It's called "work" and not "pleasure" for a reason. If you can find something you love to do then great, do it. But if you can't, you still have to do something and you don't have to like it. It's called being a grown up. Just get a job and keep it and show up on time, and eventually you'll probably figure out what you want to do and find something you like better. Until then, just work like the rest of the world.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
^^^Real Estate agent. Dealing with all the different people would be like 100 different characters in movies all playing at once. You'll have philosophal discussions with clients. Enough to make your head spin. And you can make a good living if you take it seriously and work hard.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,767 times
This is not a job/career issue but a work ethic issue. It sounds like you want to make money without doing any substantial work that is worth paying for. Blogging is fine but for every Perez Hilton, there are a million nobodies. It's like becoming a celebrity yourself - a fat chance in hell.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
This is not a job/career issue but a work ethic issue. It sounds like you want to make money without doing any substantial work that is worth paying for. Blogging is fine but for every Perez Hilton, there are a million nobodies. It's like becoming a celebrity yourself - a fat chance in hell.
when i started some websites my hope was that i could make enough money from the advertising revenue, sometimes i would get a couple thousand visitors a day, but it translates to a couple dollars, i looked into advertising opportunities for a long time but i just couldnt make enough for it to be enough to live on
actually i worked really hard on it which is why it scares me, that i worked so hard onit and still it didnt get anywhere, sometimes i stayed upa ll night just working on the sites
if i started my own store or something, i would work hard on it, its not that i dont want to do any substantial work

i think i know more about celebrities than most people i know, at least in high school college, i dont know anyone that knows more about celebrities than me, i collected autographs when i was younger, i watch movies, tv series, more than anyone that i know, i met other people only through some conventions that i went to to meet some people with similar interests but before that in my regular life i didnt know anyone who was so celebrity crazed
i tried to do something with this, make some web communities online, that would combine some technical knowledge i had from before, with what my real passions were, but it doesnt get enough money to actually support myself
there is some side income from it but if i dont spenda lot of time to maintain it then it goes away (for example like 50 hours/week which is like 200 hours/month for $500) and if i have a full time job, then i dont have time to maintain it
sometimes i lose track of time when i am working on my blogs
even 80 hours/week on my blogs would be less torture than 3 hours a day at a full time job doing something that i did not like

Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM

lets say that i give up on self-employment, and decide to look for a job, basically i will be doing something that i dont like (actually not just dont like but it would feel for torture), im more comfortable working for myself than for someone else, but if only there was something that i can find that .. i could make a living on working for myself
which kind of job/career would be a good fit for me?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,505,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler09 View Post
which kind of job/career would be a good fit for me?
Real estate agent.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Real estate agent.
i think you have to be convincing and outgoing to be a real estate agent at least all the ones that ive come across have been like that
i remember when i was looking for an apartment, some agents showed me a couple places
i am a friendly person but i cant sell to save my life
i dont even know if i could get a job in this, why would they hire me when there are so many other outgoing people?
but i will keep this in mind

do you think there are any other jobs that might be a good fit for me?

Old 09-07-2013, 06:17 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,235,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoler09 View Post
i think i know more about celebrities than most people i know, at least in high school college, i dont know anyone that knows more about celebrities than me, i collected autographs when i was younger, i watch movies, tv series, more than anyone that i know, i met other people only through some conventions that i went to to meet some people with similar interests but before that in my regular life i didnt know anyone who was so celebrity crazed
Okay, fair enough, but in practical terms - most people who like/read gossip are teens or young women with zero interest in actually paying money for that kind of thing. You can put 100% effort into it, but if your target market doesn't even have a job, and you have no actual product to sell except your words, then you are like any other blogger on the planet.

We all have hobbies, but hobbies don't necessarily translate into a job which pays the bills. I love writing children's stories, but the chances of me becoming JK Rowling is zilch. Maybe one day, but even JK Rowling was an ESL teacher full-time when writing.

So, what about packing up to Hollywood and becoming a paparazzi? If you truly want to make something of that kind of blogging/gossip/etc. then it's going to take some extremes. People who hit it big tend to do it with an insane amount of persistence and a lot of luck/networking.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:25 AM

i would be happy if i could work for myself and just pay the bills and not be negative.. but i dont know if its going to happen any time soon
so i guess i am trying to find a job and field now that can pay the bills

but i dont know what i could do that at least i wouldnt be complete torture

i would prefer something that requires a college degree, i feel like if it only requires a high school degree then theres no reason they would take me
even a college degree im not so sure
i tried to apply for some jobs but.. dont hear back most of the time
many people are looking for jobs and its very difficult to find something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment