Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 AM

532 posts, read 958,626 times

Advertisements

curious if anyone has ever asked their boss this question?

I often think about asking my boss this question, not in an adversarial way, but genuine interest. I've been there 3 1/2 years and we have a great relationship, but I wonder if this is way out of line. I don't know if she interviewed anyone prior to me, but she offered me the job at the end of the interview. Even though I am comfortable talking to her about many things, I don't think I have the nerve to bring this up, even if we were out to lunch and away from work.

So....has anyone done this and did you wish you had not asked the question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I have asked an old boss who I was very close with, while others have made it known why there hired me. My old boss said it was because he knew I was smart and underutilized where I was, which was essentially a data entry department. He felt like he could help develop my skills by having me help him with projects that I could then use on my resume to move elsewhere. In fact, during my one year review, his statement was, "You are too smart to be here. How can I help you move on?" and he helped me with my resume and my job search. He was a great guy and I consider him a mentor. I still text him when I need career advice or need help understanding what to do. (my last job was a disappointing position with a group of mean bosses... my old boss really helped me to learn how to deal with difficult personalities and to not get so upset about it. he also helped me to prepare to leave there and helped to push/motivate me when interviewing got me down)

Flash forward to my current boss who told me that I had great skills, but no current knowledge of SQL or Crystal reports. He told me he hired me based on the fact that he felt like I could pick these things up quickly and easily. He said he hires based upon potential, not necessarily already having experience with certain programs.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:13 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
I never ask because I'm scared of the answer.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:48 PM

595 posts, read 2,701,920 times
I asked my boss that question at my last office when I left due to being relocated because they were looking for my replacement. I asked her what qualities she was looking for and what did I have that beat out 50 other applicants for a 2 day a week job since I was new to the career field and had limited experience. She said that my background in the Military (both as a spouse and veteran) and my overall good nature were key. She liked that I appeared confident when we spoke and that I was forthright in my interview. It was a small close knit office and they were looking for someone that would "fit in." I fit in very well and I remember on my first day, the other Hygienist in the office gave me a big hug and told me she was so glad they chose me over the other candidates they had interviewed. It was a wonderful experience working there and I still keep in touch with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment