Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 03:17 AM

227 posts, read 745,752 times

Advertisements

Last december I started working for a large company. I'm a management Trainee. I was told by corporate my schedule is M-f 8Am to 5 P.M. no weekends or holidays. The program is six months long, I'm at a training center for the first three months. I live one hour away from my location. The assistant manager has been scheduling me to start work at 7 A.M even though my contract says i'm suppose to work 8 A.M to 5 P.m. The 7 A.M takes a toll on me since I have to get ready earlier. I took my concerns to the store manager who referred me back to the assistant manager. Yesterday, I'm still getting scheduled to come on early when its causing hardship on me.

We are considered corporate employees, so my pay does not affect the store. I thought about calling/emailing my boss at corporate and letting him know about the store scheduling. I really don't know what to do but I tried talking to the store manager no luck, I don't want to cause any conflict any advice on what I should do?

Also I'm being scheduled to work weekends when my contract only says M-F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
My real advice: unless it's affecting your spouse/children, then you should suck it up. It's only for a few months. If you work in a retail store, then you probably have to be there when the store opens. If that's 7 am...

Now, since you really feel bothered by all this, if you do decide to contact the corporate manager, make sure your tone is extremely casual and try to sound as flexible as possible. Don't accuse anyone of anything and don't sound hostile or angry.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
Last december I started working for a large company. I'm a management Trainee. I was told by corporate my schedule is M-f 8Am to 5 P.M. no weekends or holidays. The program is six months long, I'm at a training center for the first three months. I live one hour away from my location. The assistant manager has been scheduling me to start work at 7 A.M even though my contract says i'm suppose to work 8 A.M to 5 P.m. The 7 A.M takes a toll on me since I have to get ready earlier. I took my concerns to the store manager who referred me back to the assistant manager. Yesterday, I'm still getting scheduled to come on early when its causing hardship on me.

We are considered corporate employees, so my pay does not affect the store. I thought about calling/emailing my boss at corporate and letting him know about the store scheduling. I really don't know what to do but I tried talking to the store manager no luck, I don't want to cause any conflict any advice on what I should do?

Is it retail or is it commissioned sales?

If it's commissioned sales, then you'd better expect and WANT to put in time way beyond the schedule otherwise, you'll be gone before long.

It it's training for like Crate & Barrel or something, then it's reasonable to expect the schedule you were given.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,791 times
Does the 8am start kick in after the three months at the training center?

I agree with the others, better play this cool - plus you may be in a probation period where they can easily tell you be there at 7am or don't be there at all.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:27 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
If you have a contract with a start time, then tell the assistant manager you'll been in at 8am. I'd also add that I'd do my best to get in before then and leave it at that. I'd still come in at 8am, though. You have to set boundaries or they will walk all over you.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Suck it up for three months if you like the company in general and you think you will be successful once you're on your own in your own store.

Most managers, by the way, don't "watch the clock." I've never known a good manager who didn't put in MORE than 40 hours a week and who wasn't willing (let alone REQUIRED) to work earlier, or later, or on weekends sometimes. Not sure what industry you're talking about but "manager" implies a willingness to work more than 40 hours, or a flexible schedule, or weekends, holidays whatever when necessary.

When you get out of training, are you going to be salaried, hourly or commissioned or some sort of combination?

Old 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM

280 posts, read 350,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post

If you are in a Management Trainee program the corporation is grooming you to become one of its go-getters that is willing to do whatever it takes, you almost surely will be expected to work way longer hours.

Are you a recent graduate? Are you getting paid salary? And are you classified as an exempt or non-exempt employee while in the program? The answers to those questions is going to determine how you should approach the situation.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,487,297 times
You are new. Don't make any waves until you are out of probation. Just do what they tell you to do.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:12 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
You are new. Don't make any waves until you are out of probation. Just do what they tell you to do.
That's basically what I'd say to do. I don't know if this is true, but I have heard companies will make these slight changes when an employee is still in their probationary period to "test" them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment