Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 11:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Luck is preparation meeting opportunity. If you never spend time working on yourself and multiple possible contingencies, you'll probably never even see the opportunity as it goes by. You'll be unprepared. And that "lucky" person will get it.
I look at luck as a SWAT and TOWS analysis. Sure there is things you can work on to turn weaknesses into strengths but the external parts such as opportunities and more important threats are harder to react to especially when you do not have know what the threats are. You can anticipate threats but when you do not know how much better the candidate before you or the next candidate.

I am just being realistic and stating reality and that reality is that as much luck you control, the more important luck to worry about is that you do not control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
I don't worry about luck as I cannot control it. I work on things I can control, namely me. If I didn't get an opportunity I just assume I wasn't ready for it yet, and I keep moving.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
#12 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Don’t Want It

"You don’t really want to be successful. Sure, you like to dream about it like. veryone else. But in your heart you are afraid of what might happen if you really get it. That’s B.S. fear your brain is feeding you. Success is change, and it feels really, really good. Tell your brain to shut the [foolishness] up."

I am at #12.

I am not afraid of success. I am afraid of being punished for my success in this current social and political climate. I am afraid of whether the risk and sacrifices I make will be worth the reward. I am afraid I will work 24/7 and after taxes it will amount to minimum wage. I am afraid the IRS will hunt me down and audit me, for anything. I am afraid I will be hated as being selfish and greedy if I am successful, and if I want to enjoy my success and spend some of the money I make how I want to spend it.

How do I overcome those fears?
Only you can decide if risk and sacrifice is worth the potential reward. If you're worried about the IRS you brush up on tax code and hire a good CPA to keep your books clean.

If you want to avoid looking greedy and selfish then you become charitable with your business proceeds. As for politics, ignore them.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:56 PM

265 posts, read 409,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I agree with these ideals for success, the problem is two people can work the same hrs, put in the same effort and have the same winning attudes but get different results. I think to many times successful people believe anyone can be successful like them, because they did it. Not to be negative but real. Our capitalist economic structure cant run without a lower class ok. So that eliminates that argument that everyone can be successful if they are not lazy, etc. Further, #2 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – Entitlement
Only a few people in the world are part of the lucky sperm club. You and me? We gotta work to get what we want. Quit thinking you are owed something. You’re not. Get to work.

Uhmm i heard this from successful people before who think its wrong for us to think if we work as hard or harder then others then we should get payed as much or more.
like the difference between Samuel l jackson, and that black guy whose always in a lot of movies but only ever has minor roles.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM

265 posts, read 409,647 times
also, self-help is pretty funny when taking the context of the entire world into play. I would love to see one of these so called self-help people take a trip to the poorest country's in world. i'd love to hear there speeches to those people. I bet a reality show of it will happen onto cable tv eventually...

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM

Hmmm I don't really think about the messenger, I think about the message and if I can get anything out of it, and if i can, yay for me.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 PM

Though I do have to say that the message does hold more weight when spoken by someone who has been there done that and has their own stories of personal failures. Jim rohn, my favorite, Nido qubain (sp?), og Mandino.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
also, self-help is pretty funny when taking the context of the entire world into play. I would love to see one of these so called self-help people take a trip to the poorest country's in world. i'd love to hear there speeches to those people. I bet a reality show of it will happen onto cable tv eventually...
Yeah I would watch any of these self-help gurus trying to work with anyone whether it is a third-world country or a long-term unemployed person. The fact is, it would likely get cut down so that the self-help guru is "right."

Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM

I do find fascinating how some in this thread prefer to denigrate the self help "gurus" instead of offering perhaps an anecdote or insight about things you did that helped you along a particular rough patch in your life. No just sit around and whine about successfull people. Really?

Old 09-29-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
Umm, and self help is about self. Not the entire world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment