Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM

361 posts, read 922,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
It's known as the Just World Fallacy.

Many people believe that they are solely responsible for their successes in life. They got the job because they are talented, skilled, a people person, etc. Not because the hiring manager picked up their resume first, or because the interviewer also has the same hobbies or favorite sports team, etc. None of this means that the person is *not* hard working, but as many of us have experienced, being a skilled individual often means very little in the modern workplace.

Unfortunately, these types of people cannot accept the fact that luck plays a HUGE role in everyone's lives. They want all of the credit. Their odd mindset also requires them to explain away those who have had unsuccessful lives. Since they NEED to take all the credit for their success - there is no room for luck - then those who fail also need to be blamed for things going wrong. Hence, the notion that the unemployed "deserve it," and positive thoughts can magically change reality to get you want you want.
It's interesting how the folks who complain about corporations being "just about profit" will turn around and say that these same businesses have such whimsical and irrational hiring policies that they'll hire the first applicant they come across! When they're not doing that they're trying to staff their entire department with Red Sox fans! Take that Jeter bobble-head off your dashboard!!!

One could go on. I will say this though - it's the sign of a very sick and defeated individual to say that successful people shouldn't feel good about themselves. I take some consolation in the fact that we spent most of the 20th Century putting people who thought like this into body bags. This is how the Catholic Church treated people in the Middle Ages. No, it's not the strong, brave, verile and successful farmer that we should admire - NO! It's this poor, impotent, weak and self-hating monk that's worthy of praise! He, HE is the moral one!

It's a load of nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
It's interesting how the folks who complain about corporations being "just about profit" will turn around and say that these same businesses have such whimsical and irrational hiring policies that they'll hire the first applicant they come across! When they're not doing that they're trying to staff their entire department with Red Sox fans! Take that Jeter bobble-head off your dashboard!!!

One could go on. I will say this though - it's the sign of a very sick and defeated individual to say that successful people shouldn't feel good about themselves. I take some consolation in the fact that we spent most of the 20th Century putting people who thought like this into body bags. This is how the Catholic Church treated people in the Middle Ages. No, it's not the strong, brave, verile and successful farmer that we should admire - NO! It's this poor, impotent, weak and self-hating monk that's worthy of praise! He, HE is the moral one!

It's a load of nonsense.
Nobody is saying that success is the problem, but rather what one does to achieve that success - that's what is in question. Or, am I to believe that success is okay no matter how many people you step on to achieve those goals? Speaking of putting people in bodybags, all of those great dictators who were defeated in the 20th century were very successful and made something of themselves, so I guess they are also deserving of respect, right?

As for corporations being "all about profit" and having insane policies regarding hiring and staff retention, those are facts. I am not sure how anyone can disagree with this. Companies will gladly sell you out for profit... and local "warlord" managers will also hire their idiot nephew vs. hiring a qualified person. Is this even up for debate in this day and age? Yeesh...

Finally, it's fine for people to feel great about their success. But to then turn around and claim all of the credit - usually backed up by laying off hordes of employees while giving one's self a huge bonus - is despicable. Same idea with those who truly believe that the less fortunate "deserve it" because of some undefined personal failing vs. the staggeringly obvious lack of good fortune in their lives.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
well, that's still #11 Think Small. Why do you just don't buy sports team Jerseys and invest those time and money on other investment? What is that $90 can do for you? You are not getting the best product and you waste time on looking for it.
I had the extra money and wanted one for sometime to support my team. Nothing wrong in taking a little bit of extra money and spending it on yourself for a job well done. Otherwise I am "investing" that "other $90 I saved" it's called saving up for a car. A car that would be able to get me to a job that can pay me more so I could in turn invest it.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Nobody is saying that success is the problem, but rather what one does to achieve that success - that's what is in question. Or, am I to believe that success is okay no matter how many people you step on to achieve those goals? Speaking of putting people in bodybags, all of those great dictators who were defeated in the 20th century were very successful and made something of themselves, so I guess they are also deserving of respect, right?

As for corporations being "all about profit" and having insane policies regarding hiring and staff retention, those are facts. I am not sure how anyone can disagree with this. Companies will gladly sell you out for profit... and local "warlord" managers will also hire their idiot nephew vs. hiring a qualified person. Is this even up for debate in this day and age? Yeesh...

Finally, it's fine for people to feel great about their success. But to then turn around and claim all of the credit - usually backed up by laying off hordes of employees while giving one's self a huge bonus - is despicable. Same idea with those who truly believe that the less fortunate "deserve it" because of some undefined personal failing vs. the staggeringly obvious lack of good fortune in their lives.
That is the issue, many people want to say praise me, I got here all on my own and not be humble about it and thank everyone that they came in contact with that helped them along the way. That is the issue. It's people who abuse success rather than help those who are in need of it. This is why the church would champion those who need help. Many people walk all over them, pick them up when they need it, throw them out when they lived their usefulness and then walk all over them again.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is the issue, many people want to say praise me, I got here all on my own and not be humble about it and thank everyone that they came in contact with that helped them along the way. That is the issue. It's people who abuse success rather than help those who are in need of it. This is why the church would champion those who need help. Many people walk all over them, pick them up when they need it, throw them out when they lived their usefulness and then walk all over them again.
If a person's behavior is unpleasant I can understand wanting them to be more humble. But there's a big difference between that and saying that success is somehow illegitimate and that nothing could ever be accomplished through discipline and hard work.

As for this supposed obligation to help others - meh. Every wildly successful person I know worked their butt off for it. I don't see why the kid who spent thousands of hours studying in high school so that s/he could have a better life is somehow obligated to take car of the kid that was funneling Bicardi on weekends later in life.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
13 Reasons You're Not As Successful As You Should Be by Jim Kukral | NFIB
An excerpt from Jim's book Business Around a Lifestyle Volume 2. Available for purchase at Amazon. Grab your copy by visiting JimKukralBooks.com.13 Reasons You're Not As Successful As You Should Be by Jim Kukral | NFIB
While interesting, I think this post is miscategorized and should be in the "Economics" subcategory entitled "Business."

While I was reading it, it really reminded me of something I would read in "Entrepreneur" magazine and, indeed, it is from that very sort of author written for that very type of organization (The National Federation of Independent Business).

From what I understand, the Work and Employment forum is primarily for people who are first and foremost seeking advice on gaining employment, not becoming entrepreneurs or small business people, for whom this article is targeted.

Rambler's critique of this article was from the correct perspective of this forum, that of a WORK AND EMPLOYMENT seeker, such as this example:

Quote:
#7 Reason You’re Not As Successful As You Should Be – “They”
Right. Because I can hire myself and pay myself a living wage and then some! I can control my own destiny! I can bend the laws of reality with my MIND!!!! Oh, wait. I'm just another working class shlub... and "they" determine who gets the jobs, and who doesn't. While there is no "secret society," acting like we can somehow ignore the fact that other people, from the government to hiring mangers, have a huge impact on our lives - and often don't care at all about our hard work - is just laughable.
So advice such as "There's no they" is actually completely INCORRECT when you are seeking employment. There is a "they" (Human Resources for starters at the Company with the opening you apply to) and it is up to "them" whether "they" give you the job or someone else. It would be very nice indeed if "they" didn't matter and you could pick a job at a company and put yourself in it.

Reread the list and you will see it is much more inspirational and targeted to a person thinking of a way to create a business than to a job seeker.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:20 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
ROFLMAO!

So, potentially inspirational, take a look at yourself and maybe figure out some areas you can work on to improve your chances of employment are frowned upon here?

Oh my freaking god. I cannot even BELIEVE I just read that. So positive, motivational, personal development-type talk should be left to the job creators and not be seen by the minions?!

Hahahahahaha!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Positive, motivational, personal development-type talk should be left in the circular file where it belongs. At best it's some lucky fool who did the things he espouses and doesn't realize that his success was due to myriad other factors not mentioned. At worst it's a cynical person who aims to make a lot of money selling self-help books and seminars that help no one, but leave the un-helped believing its their own fault it didn't work.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Yep, you're all completely and totally effed.

Enjoy. I'm so tired of attempting anything here. Enjoy the jobs you don't have because of my positive attitude. Enjoy the jobs you won't get because I dared to post this. Chastise the speaker for daring to speak and earn some income, chastise the people who get something good out of it for being gullible, though they gained employment by listening, taking a good hard look then making some changes.

Enjoy!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
At best it's some lucky fool who did the things he espouses and doesn't realize that his success was due to myriad other factors not mentioned.
I don't think very many successful people are lucky - aside from entertainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment