Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times

Advertisements

So I am grinding away at my dysfunctional company when my dream job comes calling and I could use some advice.

I have been at my new company less than 3 months so it's normal in my industry I don't have any sales yet. I sell expensive, high tech.

I know a resume with numbers and accomplishments is the way to go, so how do I do that with no sales yet?

I have expanded our market presence truly, I am in a number of pending deals, active on marketing, recruiting. I work 10-12 hours a day. I really am jack of all trades and a very good at several.

How do I express this concisely?

I should probably note the company that reached out to me is a mature company with everything my current employer doesn't have. Full support, bennies, the works. I mention this because some of what I am good at now may not be as useful at a mature company.

How do I spin this? I want this opportunity bad.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
You just did.

Was in a slightly similar situation, had to spin non-existent sales while out hunting a new job. Last company I was with basically shut down their operations in my part of the country because they couldn't sell anything. Told people about some big name prospects that I had met with a number of times and joked about how they had to close the office down because they couldn't wait until the next fiscal year when those prospects could open their checkbook. Then told them that I was almost afraid to close deals because my old company couldn't handle them if I actually sold something. Our production facilities were too far away and too backlogged to service anyone.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM

Thanks, I need something quantifiable.

Something such as grew territory by x amount, increased networking/channel partners by x amount.

It's F100 so I have bring my A+ game.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 PM

23,533 posts, read 24,022,219 times
I also work in high technology sales in Silicon Valley. 3 months is very early to be closing opportunities, IMO, especially if you had no pipeline or funnel. It takes time to build a sizable pipeline (probably at least 5-6 months) and then to close an opportunity from that pipeline.

Quantify your activity by indicating what you have been doing.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I also work in high technology sales in Silicon Valley. 3 months is very early to be closing opportunities, IMO, especially if you had no pipeline or funnel. It takes time to build a sizable pipeline (probably at least 5-6 months) and then to close an opportunity from that pipeline.

Quantify your activity by indicating what you have been doing.
Thank you I was hoping you would chime in I figured it out while waiting, and since I have a ramp activity quota I can honestly say I am way over 100% so I went with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment