Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 08:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,134 times

Advertisements

Mystery Shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
Mystery Shopping
I have only seen scams on those. The best I have seen is window washing or starting janitorial if you are ok with blue collar which is fine. Most I know of make $12-15 hr and work mostly when they want.

Even my plumber friend in Southern Alberta said as apprentice he is getting about $15 which surprised me COL but you start low and pay dues makes sense.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
Mystery shopping is not a scam. I have done it for years. It just doesn't pay very much. But it does offer the chance to get free meals.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:45 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,101,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Mystery shopping is not a scam. I have done it for years. It just doesn't pay very much. But it does offer the chance to get free meals.
the concept of mystery shopping isn't a scam, my business routinely does mystery shops. 90% of the mystery shop opportunities posted are scams though so its alot of crap to sort through to get a good one. also most pay crap so your taking time out of your day, paying out of pocket to buy an item until they reimburse you, fillingo ut forms and waiting for payemnt. not worth the time or headache to me personally. ive done it a number of times in the past though.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 AM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
also most pay crap so your taking time out of your day, paying out of pocket to buy an item until they reimburse you, fillingo ut forms and waiting for payemnt. not worth the time or headache to me personally. ive done it a number of times in the past though.
I definitely agree with you there! I've stopped doing them because the pay doesn't justify the effort, IMO. My retired dad does a lot of mystery shopping but he seems to enjoy it, and doesn't really do it for the money (bored retired guy, LOL!)

Old 10-17-2013, 11:43 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Learn to play guitar.

People are paying 80 to 100 an hour for lessons these days.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:07 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
Picking up dog poop in peoples' back yards. Some folks have made it a pretty good business. You go to each house once a week. Charge $X for one dog and 1.5X for two dogs.
I've thought of doing this, as I already offer pet-sitting/house-sitting and dog-walking as a side business. So, adding 'pooper scooper' services seems like a good fit. But the hard part is finding clients. Craigslist has been pretty effective for me so far though. But not everyone knows about or uses CL, so it only reaches a small segment of the population. And often times, the people who use Craigslist to find services often have that garage-sale mentality; meaning, they expect to find service (or workers) for extra cheap.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times
I used to be a bouncer at night and worked in an office during the day.
Now I coach weightlifting.

If you are fit or good at a sport you can make extra dough being a trainer or coach. A real good one is yoga if that's up your alley.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:45 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,748,737 times
I heard about a couple of new ones recently.

Get a job working at arena and stadiums, while none of them pay all that well, they all have a flexible schedule and allow you to pick and choose what shifts and where you are willing to work. A friend of mine does it an works about 100 3-5 hour shifts a year, making about $40 a shift.

A new client I got yesterday does a pedi-cab in the downtown bar district. He rents the pedi-cab from a local company, than gives free rides working for tips. He said he works about 4 hours on Friday and Saturday nights, and nets about $50 a night after he pays for the cost of the pedi-cab.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
If you're just looking for some additional money here and there, and you are near a major city, contact focus group facilities and tell them you're interested in participating in any studies or groups that they have. And if given the option, go to a day group versus an evening group since they'll pay you more.

Mystery shopping is part of marketing research, just as focus groups are. People who are unfamiliar with them often think they are scams, but they're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment