Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM

96 posts, read 206,117 times

Advertisements

I think most people only wish they could work a job like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times
BART Engineer?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,776,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
There are some programming jobs that meet all those criteria. Most require a bachelors, but there are some just look at experience. It's also possible to earn the degree online now days. Here in Houston during the apex of the recession, there were always programmer openings.
Tech is a strange duck. In 1999 when I was in college, tech was HUGE and well-paying tech jobs were everywhere. As a computer programmer, I had the highest-paying summer internship of everyone I knew. In 2001 when I graduated college, I couldn't get a tech job to save my life because tons of techies had been laid off. In 2013, tech jobs can very easily be outsourced. Why pay an American programmer $90,000 per year when you can pay an Indian programmer one-fifth that much for the same work?

Also, to stay on top of tech, you're constantly dealing with "continuing education"... learning new platforms, entirely new programming languages, etc. Is that factored into the 40 hours per week?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,775 times
Here's a sampling from people I know that seem to have jobs that fit this criteria:

(1) Majority of gov't and large non-profit jobs

(2) HR

(3) Certain medical professions

(4) Retail bank manager

Old 10-16-2013, 10:29 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Tech is a strange duck. In 1999 when I was in college, tech was HUGE and well-paying tech jobs were everywhere. As a computer programmer, I had the highest-paying summer internship of everyone I knew. In 2001 when I graduated college, I couldn't get a tech job to save my life because tons of techies had been laid off. In 2013, tech jobs can very easily be outsourced. Why pay an American programmer $90,000 per year when you can pay an Indian programmer one-fifth that much for the same work?

Also, to stay on top of tech, you're constantly dealing with "continuing education"... learning new platforms, entirely new programming languages, etc. Is that factored into the 40 hours per week?

You have no idea what youre talking about. Its not 'the same work', not 'the same techie'. its not 1/5 the cost lol. the job itself is 1/5 of what battle tested line techies are used to. they dont look for jobs that is strictly 40hr/week. dang thats just american lazy. they never had downtime, never laid off, never victims of change, mobile enough to leave everything behind

Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Since most of us won't ever be lucky enough to find a job that is only 40 hr/week with no unpaid overtime that pays enough to support a family, maybe a better question is, what can employees (especially one with kids) do to make a typical job more family friendly?

Old 10-16-2013, 11:24 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D. or Au.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *new grads are having trouble finding jobs
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees

Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,312 times
Just about every job at Shell NA and its subsidiaries. They discourage overtimes there, in fact my ID stopped working at 6pm. They got all the employee-love programs there, you name it they got it. You cant just work fast, you have to pace it and finish at the estimated/budgeted timeline (so not to make the manager look bad). Dont get me started on their safety awareness programs

Old 10-16-2013, 01:18 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D. or Au.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *new grads are having trouble finding jobs
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees
It should be noted that while most of these could actually support a family and have most of the OP's wishlist, almost ALL of them require extended schooling/training - many will require a master's degree or more with more than entry level experience. These are also pretty niche professions; a person would probably already want to be in these fields. These aren't really 'just looking to get back in the work force' kind of "jobs". These are careers.

It's a nice list, but much of America doesn't qualify for such positions. Not like back in the day when you could get on the job training and work your way up in a company.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:10 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
You will need to go back to the 50s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment