Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 10:57 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With the exception of toll booth attendant, cabbie, and maybe security guard, the jobs you listed are not exactly low-stress or 40 hours per week. And with the exception of surgeon, most of them don't pay all that well.

Cops, firemen, and military are all pretty much low pay and high stress. Truckers tend to work long hours and it can be stressful as well. They don't always get paid that well either.

Um....if you were paying attention you would see that those were an answer to the statement quoted!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I only had 20 minutes to eat, by the time I took my students to lunch and went to the bathroom. Teaching is the only profession I know, where you can't go to the bathroom when you have to urge to go.
Teachers must not be very good at thinking outside the box then...

Cops
Cabbies
Firemen
Military
Truckers
Toll Booth attendants
Security guards
Surgeons

....You get the idea!

On the other hand I can't think of too many professions where you get the whole summer off!
Methinks the level that fits the applicants employability would require the wearing of a name tag...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
The defined benefits retirement plan is the single most difficult criteria on your list. It's almost non-existent in private industry. You'd need to look into government work.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM

233 posts, read 417,991 times
No, you're thinking of a dream job.
If you work for someone else, they're always going to want to get more hours out of you than you want to give. So, you must be thinking of working for yourself somehow. Working for yourself doesn't exactly have mandatory overtime, but you'll probably have to work more than 40 hours a week to make decent money. And managing your own business is definitely not low-stress. So, you're going to need to change your job criteria.
(This is why there are so many unemployed people right now. Because everyone's so picky...)

Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,631 times
Only thing I can think of is Security guards, I am not kidding. In my company, they hired all the senior citizens, if I have to guess, I would say around 70 years old. Most if not all of them comes to work to sleep while they work...

This is very funny, I took my kids to work, security guard was sleeping. After half hour we came out, he was still sleeping. He had no idea that my kids came to work. I am not sure exactly how much his salary is, but I think around $15 per hour.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 AM

800 posts, read 1,463,980 times
Having worked in commercial/retail banking years ago, I can say that it would seem to check most of the boxes, except for:

- the defined-benefit plan criteria (as others have pointed out, such plans are almost non-existent in today's private sector); and
- the pay is generally not that great, especially starting out, but would probably be enough to feed a family of 4 if you budget accordingly.

I would rate it as an overall "safe" workplace, even though there is the risk of a holdup.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Sales.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Yes. Tech industry. Medical maybe? Depends what type and where.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,506 times
Isn't it sad that working 40 hours a week with a bachelor's at a job that pays a living wage is considered a dream job that doesn't exist anymore? Is the new American dream to work a low paid job and raise the kids on welfare, or work 2 jobs to survive? It now takes a doctorate to be middle class.

This whole thread depresses me.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:43 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,550,583 times
Actually many of you are just too negative (or probably not qualified anyway). Always in victim-mode. Of course they exist. How come there are ratings like 'Best employers', 'Best employer for working moms' etc. Surely that works for guys and LGBTs too. All the companies I've worked for strive to get on these lists. It could affect stock price ya know

http://www.workingmother.com/best-company-list/129110

http://www.apaexcellence.org/awards/...l/winners/2009

http://workfamily.sas.upenn.edu/static/ff_ind_1

Last edited by GTRdad; 10-17-2013 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 04:42 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Maybe you could be a community organizer? Were you born in this country?
Nope... born and raised American. Certainly unqualified to be a community organizer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Let me get this straight. You're a Boomer who's been out of the job market for a long time and wants to know if there are any dream jobs as the one you described in the OP? You seem like another perfect candidate for giving the "lazy" and "entitled" youth credible job advice on City-Data. Haha j/k.

On a serious note, the job you described rarely exists today. Maybe you'll find something in government, but good luck getting your foot in the door. Most jobs I've seen that pay a livable wage ($40k+) mostly require long hours and frequent bouts with stress.
I'm 33 years old... the product of two Boomers.

And I personally think it's sick that people have to essentially sell themselves into slavery (either by giving all of their time to their jobs, or by sacrificing their sanity which reduces their ability to enjoy the free time they do have) just to afford to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Only thing I can think of is Security guards, I am not kidding. In my company, they hired all the senior citizens, if I have to guess, I would say around 70 years old. Most if not all of them comes to work to sleep while they work...

This is very funny, I took my kids to work, security guard was sleeping. After half hour we came out, he was still sleeping. He had no idea that my kids came to work. I am not sure exactly how much his salary is, but I think around $15 per hour.
$30,000 per year is rather low, for a full time job. I don't see how that provides for a family of four, an average lifestyle. And security guards are on the front lines of danger... or at least that's what they're supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Star Rooster View Post
Having worked in commercial/retail banking years ago, I can say that it would seem to check most of the boxes, except for:

- the defined-benefit plan criteria (as others have pointed out, such plans are almost non-existent in today's private sector); and
- the pay is generally not that great, especially starting out, but would probably be enough to feed a family of 4 if you budget accordingly.

I would rate it as an overall "safe" workplace, even though there is the risk of a holdup.
That's like playing Russian roulette. "Most of the time nothing will happen, but there's that one chance that you'll blow your brains into the next zip code."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
Sales.
Extremely stressful, often requires long trips away from home, income is not dependable, and your job security is only as strong as the sales you made yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Isn't it sad that working 40 hours a week with a bachelor's at a job that pays a living wage is considered a dream job that doesn't exist anymore? Is the new American dream to work a low paid job and raise the kids on welfare, or work 2 jobs to survive? It now takes a doctorate to be middle class.

This whole thread depresses me.
Me too. But it does essentially give credibility to the feeling I've had, that no such job exists anymore. But yet, we Americans call this "progress". In a different thread, I talked about how the employment situation of today is largely a product of the wealthy and powerful elite class exercising its control over America. The fact that we see our present situation (where, among other things, people with a bachelor's degree can't get a job with a living wage and 40 hours per week, and it takes a doctorate to be middle class) as "progress" is further evidence of this control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment