Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,322,246 times

Advertisements

In that case I would say you are screwed. From an employer's and fellow employee stand point, why should you have every Sunday off in order to force someone else to work every Sunday? Your boss is not under any obligation to inconvenience someone else because you don't want to work Sundays. What if everyone in the store decided they weren't going to work on Sundays because they don't want to and you don't have to do it? Regardless, you don't have any legal recourse. My boss can come into my office tomorrow and tell me I'm working weekends on the midnight shift and that's just that. I don't know if there are any Hobby Lobby stores in your area but they are closed every Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,179,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky View Post
Welcome to "right to work" and "fire at will" states...the world is not a fair or kind place...unfortunately.
That's why we have laws like "at will". To make it a little more fair.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM

217 posts, read 513,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
I work in an at-will state that has all 3 of the public policy, implied contract, and covenant of good faith and fair dealing exceptions if that helps, does that help my cause at all if they try to or do fire me?

As I said I have indicated I will work ANY other nights and WHATEVER other schedule, just NOT sunday nights. Me not working Sundays has nothing to do with religious reasons. District manager already asked me if there is any legal reason I can't work Sunday nights and I had to say no. He talked of potential future accommodation but with these 2 other assistants I struggle to see how that would ever happen and it really bugs me cause there is an associate deserving of promotion who WOULD work ANY nights, including sunday, that my manager is being stubborn to promote with great reasons like why didn't the previous manager ever promote her, that's garbage cause my previous manager made tons of mistakes and hired plenty of garbage people in his 1 year there, most of which by and large quit or were ultimately terminated. So I've offered a VIABLE solution and their only solution it seems is to stick me WHEREVER to fill in the gaps, screw that I'm full time, my years of service. I feel as long as they retain these other 2 assistants with very limited availability even though I am full time and they are not, they can't fire me cause I won't close one specific night? Or could they just because I'm full-time, it's just really unfair to someone whose given as much as I have and am only asking for this one simple accommodation. The way we've been covering Sundays is yet another assistant from a nearby store has been closing, why couldn't that just continue?
So, wait...you say Sundays are covered because someone else is working Sundays from another store? That is not "covered". Also, sorry, but having worked retail for quite a while, you really need to work at least one Sunday night per month. Just fair. Whatever reasons you have forf wanting to be home on Sunday are likely (you say they are not religious) just as compelling as the reasons the others want to be off on Sunday nights. You need to be willing to work at least one Sunday night per month...

Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 PM

217 posts, read 513,123 times
Quote:
not sure i'm catching your point...

Fire at will is nothing nice....
Remember the last time you quit a job? You know hoe you found a better job, told the current job you were leaving, and gave 2 weeks notice? How would you feel if when you told your boss you had a better job he replied with "nope, sorry, not letting you quit?" Wouldn't like it.

Welcome to the doctrine I will misname to go with "fire at will" that I am going to call "quit at will".

You guessed it. Employment at will is why you can also QUIT when you want. For any or no reason.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,137,931 times
Why won't you work Sundays? It isn't for a religious reason....so what is the issue? You can't and shouldn't expect people to accomodate for you, even if it may be something you see as minor.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,459,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
I work retail. I am the only full time assistant manager. I am willing to work whatever days/nights EXCEPT for Sunday nights. I have been where I'm at for years and whatever manager I had at the time always found a way to make it work between themselves/other assistants/etc. I recently got a new manager. Another assistant that's been there 3 months that never works weekends was asked to help cover Sundays, he refused. We are getting another assistant transferred from another store who has NO night availability at all, big help there. So far as I know, neither of them are having their feet held to the fire to have greater availability, but I feel I am. I am full-time, but I have seniority and have always been consistent that I'm not available sunday nights. So long as these other 2 assistants with their limitations are retained, I couldn't possibly be terminated for not being available for ONE specific night after YEARS of service could I? Already looking for another job cause of this nonsense.
Move on.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
not sure i'm catching your point...

Fire at will is nothing nice....
Before at will, there was a bias towards employees. They would leave without giving a valid reason. One way to tackle that would be to pass a law that requires employees to present a valid reason that meets specific criteria before quitting. Another way is to make sure that the same freedom to separate applies to employers. That's where at will comes into play. It makes it fair.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,753,223 times
The last place I worked ( 600 employees) the meetings always ended with management " reminding" us that we were hired ..........at will.......... and can be let go for any reason or for no reason.

As I was getting real close to retiring I quit w/o any notice whatsoever.
I came back for my exit interview and final paycheck and management said they were shocked I gave no notice.

I told them after we were all constantly threatened with being let go, I was going to show them the door swings both ways.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,501,951 times
The real key is to become part of a "disadvantaged" group and call the ACLU or Gloria Alred. Sorry punchy hour coming soon.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
The last place I worked ( 600 employees) the meetings always ended with management " reminding" us that we were hired ..........at will.......... and can be let go for any reason or for no reason.

As I was getting real close to retiring I quit w/o any notice whatsoever.
I came back for my exit interview and final paycheck and management said they were shocked I gave no notice.

I told them after we were all constantly threatened with being let go, I was going to show them the door swings both ways.
This is essentially what the worst case scenarios have come down to. Employees used to take advantage of their employers. This resulted in at will. Now employees and employers can both take advantage of eachother.

Perhaps, a better solution would have been to make it just as difficult for an employee to quit as it was to fire an employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment