Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,643,834 times

Advertisements

I only wanted to add that I know you must be very discouraged but, there is so much good advice here.
Step back, regroup, lay out a plan and follow it. I believe you will succeed but try and keep a positive attitude. Be around people that can help you and be supportive.

Good luck !

eta: my DH has a marketing degree, went into finance and has been there ever since. It was/is right for him though he had rather be a bum or a fishing guide....<s>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,388,919 times
I wonder what percentage of graduates with a BA in marketing actually got a job in marketing. My guess is the OP has lots of company, sadly. The colleges gladly take your money(or your parents money) but are virtually no help in getting you the job afterwards.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:54 PM

29,855 posts, read 24,964,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
While that was once the case, with over 70% of all high school graduates enrolled in college the following year I would say it is not nearly that cut and dry anymore.
That is insane. Unfortunately, the reckless counselors will not be the one eating the costs of this social mess when things blow up in the student's faces. The modern world has absolutely no use for that many college grads. What will happen is a continuation of the same. McDonalds will require a four year degree in order to salt the fries.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
4 year institutions do not offer associates degrees last I knew. You either did not finish your degree at U of M or obtained an associates at a CC or perhaps neither. That does not provide enough scope as a college student to speak with any kind of authority. When it comes to less rigorous college majors the degree is as challenging as the student makes it. I suppose it can be better said that you do not know what a serious student does in college if you think going to the library is on par with becoming an educated person or an efficient and proficient lifetime learner. It's not and if it were our society would reward library attendance with college degrees.
I attended community college, spending 1 1/2 years in nursing school. I later attended U of M looking to get a supply chain management degree. As mentioned, I left when things were looking good in my chosen profession. Many 4 year schools do offer associate degree programs though.

What difference does it make that I didn't acquire a piece of paper with my name on it? I took the classes, I experienced college life, I took all the prereqs as well as targeted classes. I earned exceptional marks through it all. There are people who take college classes with the intent to learn, not to get the paper. Are you going to tell them they aren't qualified to hold an opinion regarding college?

I will agree, most folks can't go to the library to become educated. While it's possible, most folks have other things to attend to, like facebook, CD, celebrity gossip. College is the easily palatable, heavily structured, pill form method of becoming educated. Libraries, while free, are a bit too try and mundane for most. Learning for the sake of learning? Blah... And besides, I wouldn't get ornamental paper that says I'm totally awesome and stuff.

Quote:
OTJE is something every worker experiences. I have no idea where you get the idea that college grads are not working and getting experience, are not getting experience in school, are not getting experience via internships, are not getting experience via their research, are not getting experience in their co-op programs, etc. As I said, college grads are doing everything non-grads are doing, but they are doing more. And that more is obtaining a degree. Whether there are yahoo's out there who take fluff classes and have no interest in maximizing their college experience is irrelevant to the point.
Not every worker acquires the same type and level of OTJE. There are plenty of folks who do the equivalent of white collar toilet scrubbing. Their level of experience and expertise ain't worth spit to no one, no matter how many years experience they have.

Quote:
No doubt there are other paths to success and I'm sure you are going to do very well in your life. You are clearly intelligent and seem to be hard working by the context of your posts. I'm not on board with the lot who claim college is for all. I'm just challenging some of the ridiculous comments you've made.

You make my point. In 20 years that college grad will have 20 years of experience, but plus a college degree.
Not all "20 years experience" are created equal. Ford Motor would love to hire a seat belt engineer. How many people have spent 20 years designing/engineering seat belts? They will gladly hire some geezer who has never attended college but spent their lives designing solely seat belts. There's plenty of college grad engineers who've spent their lives as degreed salesman, and they wouldn't be able to touch a job like that no matter what school they attended, and no matter how high their GPA was.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:25 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,443,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I attended community college, spending 1 1/2 years in nursing school. I later attended U of M looking to get a supply chain management degree.
You must have gone to Dearborn's campus. Ann Arbor doesn't have a SCM undergrad degree.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
You must have gone to Dearborn's campus. Ann Arbor doesn't have a SCM undergrad degree.
Correct. I also worked near Detroit so Ann Arbor wasn't practical.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:39 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,182,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Truly no one I know with the exception of Doctors and Lawyers uses their degree. Most people major in 'something' to have a degree and find a career they love.

If you want to get into marketing, start volunteering somewhere and use your marketing skills. Slowly build from there and soon you will have a career.
I'm a scientist and all the scientists I've worked with use their degrees for their jobs, and wouldn't have been able to get them without those degrees. My brother is an electrical engineer; same story.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'm a scientist and all the scientists I've worked with use their degrees for their jobs, and wouldn't have been able to get them without those degrees. My brother is an electrical engineer; same story.
My brother is an electrical engineer with an associates degree. My father worked as an electrical engineer for 30 years with a HS diploma. Became VP of the firm before the economy took a crap. Many of the engineers I have worked with were HS grads with no college. Some engineering disciplines do require a license though, and college is the way to go. There are many professions that are mostly off limits if you aren't educated, but they generally require targeted curriculum.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,128,663 times
Previously someone mentioned big Hotel groups- I second this. I did IT for a group that owned a large number of IHG Hotels (Interconti, Crown Plaza, Holiday Inn...) in Europe and they always need sales and marketing.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:59 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I attended community college, spending 1 1/2 years in nursing school. I later attended U of M looking to get a supply chain management degree. As mentioned, I left when things were looking good in my chosen profession. Many 4 year schools do offer associate degree programs though.
Well, I don't know why you are saying you have an associates degree when you do not independent of the fact that such a degree does not represent the college experience by a long shot. The only 4 year programs that I know to offer these 2 year programs are the likes of for-profits or perhaps satellite schools that use a traditional B&M name, but aren't actually the school. Further, and let's be honest here, you are a college drop out and not even a traditional drop out to boot. I'm sorry if that's harsh, but to think you can speak with authority for people who have completed their degrees at schools they had to work to get into in the first place is just wrong. And supply chain management? I'll agree with you there. I don't understand the point of that degree. My mother was a customer service supervisor for decades and did not need a degree to be good in her field. So, no. SCM and votech nursing does not encompass college. Sorry.
Quote:
What difference does it make that I didn't acquire a piece of paper with my name on it? I took the classes, I experienced college life, I took all the prereqs as well as targeted classes. I earned exceptional marks through it all. There are people who take college classes with the intent to learn, not to get the paper. Are you going to tell them they aren't qualified to hold an opinion regarding college?
The piece of paper is irrelevant. It's what it represents that matters, which is completion of a degree that indeed has stratified meaning and value. You can have all the opinions you want, but your experiences do not qualify you to have an educated opinion of the college experience en masse. You've had more than enough college grads on this forum tell you that you're experiences are not shared by us all.
Quote:
I will agree, most folks can't go to the library to become educated. While it's possible, most folks have other things to attend to, like facebook, CD, celebrity gossip. College is the easily palatable, heavily structured, pill form method of becoming educated. Libraries, while free, are a bit too try and mundane for most. Learning for the sake of learning? Blah... And besides, I wouldn't get ornamental paper that says I'm totally awesome and stuff.
This is a perfect example showing why you are not an authority to speak for grads. You are not going to have the opportunity for guided research at the library that will result in a poster or manuscript you can take ownership for. You are not going to have anyone to answer your many questions. You will not have anyone to review your papers so that you can not only learn how to write (research papers, reports, proposals, etc), but communicate effectively. Perhaps it's possible to digest the reading material in a given semester where you could have a meaningful conversation, but how many of us are going to do that? Most people don't and most never have. And your "totally awesome stuff" highlights that this is about your personal issues and resentments. You have to downgrade the accomplishments of others to sooth yourself and it's no better than the people who look down their noses at non-grads.
Quote:
Not every worker acquires the same type and level of OTJE. There are plenty of folks who do the equivalent of white collar toilet scrubbing. Their level of experience and expertise ain't worth spit to no one, no matter how many years experience they have.
I'm not sure what your point is and I have no idea what white collar toilet scrubbing is. I'm speaking to people in the same industry, receiving the same training. Why wouldn't a college grad receive the same training and work experience as a non-grad in their field of choice?
Quote:
Not all "20 years experience" are created equal. Ford Motor would love to hire a seat belt engineer. How many people have spent 20 years designing/engineering seat belts? They will gladly hire some geezer who has never attended college but spent their lives designing solely seat belts. There's plenty of college grad engineers who've spent their lives as degreed salesman, and they wouldn't be able to touch a job like that no matter what school they attended, and no matter how high their GPA was.
You are, again, inserting too much of your emotion into this conversion. I'm not making a complicated point. It's all things being equal, if that's possible and I suppose that's a sticking point. Again, we all gain work experience. Having a college degree does not some how thwart the opportunity for work experience. It's not a degree vs work experience. It's a degree plus work experience vs work experience.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 10-24-2013 at 04:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment