Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 5,401 times

Advertisements

If you were offered a 6-month and a 12-month contract for almost the same job but at two very different but renowned companies, which one would you choose?

The 6-month job pays $4/hr more (I'm entry-level, so the extra dollars are a big help). Also, the 6-month job works directly with Executive management... that may be the foot in the door for networking.

Which contract would you take? They perform almost the same duties, but one pays more and works with upper management, and the other lasts twice as long.

Last edited by MikeyTheNewYuppie; 10-22-2013 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM

143 posts, read 221,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyTheNewYuppie View Post
If you were offered a 6-month and a 12-month contract for almost the same job but at two very different but renowned companies, which one would you choose?

The 6-month job pays $4/hr more (I'm entry-level, so the extra dollars are a big help). Also, the 6-month job works directly with Executive management... that may be the foot in the door for networking.

Which contract would you take? They perform almost the same duties, but one pays more and works with upper management, and the other lasts twice as long.

I would not focus too much on the short term. I would look at both companies from a long term perspective and choose the one I hope to stay with if i was offered full time at the end of the contract.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:

I would try to get the 12 month contract to increase the rate by $4/hr and tell them why. Would try to get $4/hr more but if they came back with $3/hr more I might go with the 12 month contract.

Else I would take the 6/mo contract with higher pay. Knowing there is a good possibility that the 6 month contract will be extended. You could ask the consulting firm if they know how likely it is that the 6 month contract is extended. It is common in many companies to extend and extend every time the 6 months is near expiration.

Keep in mind that you want to make the highest rate possible. Because your next gig's rate will usually be related to how much you make on this gig.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 5,401 times
Thank you for the replies. I actually am hopeful that I get a full-time employment offer at the end of either contract. I decided that my Plan A is the 12 month, while my Plan B is the 6 month. Although I get paid not as much for the 12 month, it lasts twice as long, and the industry the company is in is more fitting for me than that for the 6 month.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Quote:
Thank you for the replies. I actually am hopeful that I get a full-time employment offer at the end of either contract. I decided that my Plan A is the 12 month, while my Plan B is the 6 month. Although I get paid not as much for the 12 month, it lasts twice as long, and the industry the company is in is more fitting for me than that for the 6 month.
Good luck!

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
In either case I'd take the contract and keep looking for a job. Companies don't have a very good history of hiring people from contract jobs (28%).

Old 10-23-2013, 11:27 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In either case I'd take the contract and keep looking for a job. Companies don't have a very good history of hiring people from contract jobs (28%).
I have turned down perm offers at companies when I was contracting there. I knew several other contractors that did the same thing. This might skew the numbers into making it seem like it's only the companies that refuse to go perm. In some lines of work there are a lot of contractors that don't want perm jobs. When I talk to recruiters in my line of work they say the same thing - 'many contractors don't want perm jobs". These recruiters talk to thousands of applicants.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM

276 posts, read 430,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In either case I'd take the contract and keep looking for a job.
I would also take the 6 month since it pays more and has more visibility and I would continue looking. Contracts can be rescinded by either side at anytime. I actually had a 4 month contract that the company wanted to extend for a year after I was there for about a month. I left after 2.5 months because I found a full time role about 10 minutes from my house. I ended up with better pay, benefits and I dropped my commute by about 1.25 hours per day.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
A better career fit is a good reason, the term is not. The length of the contract is probably not guaranteed. It's a projection. The 6-month could become longer and the 12-month could become shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment