Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM
JEM JEM started this thread

33 posts, read 54,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Apparently you have a serious problem understanding what a workplace policy is. They are a set of rules to be followed, I'm sure they also contained a warning of consequences for violating said workplace policies. Probably contained the line "up to and including termination of employment".

Misappropriation of civic assets is a serious concern to many - guess they're not to you.
I know what a workplace policy is. What, no reply to the fact that wasn't warned as you stated, so you just babble on about something else. Of course he knew he wasn't supposed to be on the web at work. That's not the discussion here. I'm asking a simple question, and I guess you finally gave your answer. Apparently you would report someone to their boss, a person who had never done a thing to you.

It wouldn't surprise me if you're buddies with the rat, who is a member of this website. It's made no sense how you vehemently have ragged on this thread and have basically called me a liar at every turn. The picture is getting much clearer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,267 times
Paranoid much?

No. I wouldn't care enough to send a direct message - let alone research a damn thing.

And I very very clearly replied about the warning. Your friend was warned in advance - that's my only issue with the whole thing. Your friend was a victim of their own negligence, and you're trying to brush that over. I really didn't even care that much until you started in on the personal attacks.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
Suppose you didn't care for a fellow member on a website. You knew he posted from work. Could you contact his boss and tell them that, knowing full well that this action could cause him to lose his job? This person never did anything to the rat, just joked around, totally harmless. Contacting his boss was personal.

Could you be responsible for a person losing their livelihood?
Reporting to the boss about someone breaking the rules does not cause a person to lose their job. The person breaking the rules causes them to lose their job. You are confused. There are consequences for actions. If you do not follow the rules you are responsible for the consequences.

I don't know if I would contact the boss or not. It depends on a lot of factors like what the person's job is, how long they have been there, what their work ethic is like, etc. If I did contact the boss, I would probably do so anonymously - not because I am afraid of doing it, but because I feel that the boss needs to know and it does not make any difference who tells him. On the other hand, if this person does not impact my job performance in any way, and does not negatively impact the quality of customer service, or the level of service that is provided to the customer, etc., then I would just probably sit back and let them cut their own throat.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-30-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Reporting to the boss about someone breaking the rules does not cause a person to lose their job. The person breaking the rules causes them to lose their job. You are confused. There are consequences for actions. If you do not follow the rules you are responsible for the consequences.

I don't know if I would contact the boss or not. It depends on a lot of factors like what the person's job is, how long they have been there, what their work ethic is like, etc. If I did contact the boss, I would probably do so anonymously - not because I am afraid of doing it, but because I feel that the boss needs to know and it does not make any difference who tells him. On the other hand, if this person does not impact my job performance in any way, and does not negatively impact the quality of customer service, or the level of service that is provided to the customer, etc., then I would just probably sit back and let them cut their own throat.

20yrsinBranson
Spare me the lecture. You're the one who is confused. You're changing the conversation. The question isn't whether he was doing the right thing or not. The question is, would you report someone to their boss for being on the internet, and push the issue as well? Who cares how long the person's been there or all that. Would you snoop to find out their personal information, hunt them down at their work and rat them out? It's a simple question, but you're going into bs that doesn't matter.

If you're going to report one person for posting while at work, why stop there? Get them all. Pay attention to the others who work and post during the day. Stalk them at Facebook, Linkedin, MySpace, anywhere you can find leads to their workplace. Become SuperRat and report everyone you can, and take their livelihood. Anyone who pisses you off online, go get them. You've got the lecture down. You can lay it on them.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Paranoid much?

No. I wouldn't care enough to send a direct message - let alone research a damn thing.

And I very very clearly replied about the warning. Your friend was warned in advance - that's my only issue with the whole thing. Your friend was a victim of their own negligence, and you're trying to brush that over. I really didn't even care that much until you started in on the personal attacks.
I never personally attacked you. You're the one who's paranoid. You know what I mean when I say that he wasn't warned. As much as I hate to state the obvious, I guess I have to with you. After the rat contacted his bosses, he wasn't warned to stop using the internet for personal use. Many people are given a second chance when they violate company policy. He was not. He was terminated within the week. Good Lord, I feel like I'm typing the alphabet here.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:35 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I wouldn't have turned him in, but if he was my employee I would fire him. The rules are different when you work for the taxpayers. If most people get fired it doesn't make the newspapers. If a public employee is caught and nothing happens the outcry would be huge. Its his own fault. No sympathy.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:36 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
29 posts since 2006. Most of them in this thread. That is why people think you are the one and using a different screen name.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 885 times
It is a simple question. Why are some people trying to cloud the issue and basically call JEM a liar? It's her thread, what would she benefit from by making this thread if it wasn't true? She is the one who is stating the facts as they are. He was fired as a direct result of the rat contacting his bosses. Before everyone starts slinging arrows, I am a personal friend of JEM's and the person who was fired. I have a great interest in what happened to our good friend.

Last edited by MalloryKeaton; 10-30-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
29 posts since 2006. Most of them in this thread. That is why people think you are the one and using a different screen name.
No because it's sound like Philly boy's MO.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The fact that I posted back in 2006, stating that I'm a married woman proves that I am who I claim to be. Even if I was the person who got fired, and I assure you I am not, what difference would it make? The story and the question remains the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment