Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 08:16 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I need hands on job training and a certification. I'll admit you suprised me though, I never seen that site before.
When you help yourself, that's when people start to help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealrm View Post
I decided to give in. The whiners are correct. The only people getting jobs are those that already have experience. So all those in college, save your money and drop out. There won't be any jobs for you since you have no experience. All you high school seniors, might as well get used to living at home. Because even so the US is the second largest manufacturing country in the world, producing more products than the combined countries of Europe, none of the manufactures will hire anyone without experience. I'm also sorry to inform those that work for company that provide training services to corporation, you will be out of a job soon. It's clear that no companies provide training any more.
I entirely disagree with what you said about those in college and high school. The future is bleak but I wouldn't say it is death. The issue is we have to find a way to find balance between working within your major while working on the degree.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You and a lot of people. Sadly employers shifted from job training and complaining that people can't get up to speed, they have gone and moved it to people gaining job training outside and then complain that they cannot find talent that does things our way. If there are managers that think my view is wrong, please reply to it.
Companies are demanding one is already trained and experienced, even for 'entry' level positions, but none are will to give the training. Thus, the rise of unpaid internships (another travesty, thank god I never had to go that route!). And in the end, all the screwed up hiring managers do is poach the experienced people off each other. Meanwhile there's a pool of people ready and willing to learn, but aren't given a shot. Yes, companies have gone off the deep end and are so blind they don't realize they are the problem.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM

582 posts, read 779,327 times
Quote:
I entirely disagree with what you said about those in college and high school. The future is bleak but I wouldn't say it is death. The issue is we have to find a way to find balance between working within your major while working on the degree.
I should have put a sarcasm notice at the end of the post. Everything except those about the US being the 2nd largest manufacture and how much it produces were sarcasm.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,160,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Companies are demanding one is already trained and experienced, even for 'entry' level positions, but none are will to give the training. Thus, the rise of unpaid internships (another travesty, thank god I never had to go that route!). And in the end, all the screwed up hiring managers do is poach the experienced people off each other. Meanwhile there's a pool of people ready and willing to learn, but aren't given a shot. Yes, companies have gone off the deep end and are so blind they don't realize they are the problem.
They aren't blind though. They (and by they I don't mean the company as a whole but rather the CEO and his friends on the board) want to slash overhead and increase short-term profit. It is their only goal. Ford's cycle of virtue is dead and buried, and the new economy of slash and burn is here. Why spend money and energy on training new local workers when they can get people from overseas eager for any sort of job that gets them out of their home country, or as you said, poach them from some other company?

It has a ruthless logic to it, even though in the long term it will be harmful for the company. But one has to remember, the company is no longer important as it was once was. Rather than something treasured and handed down generation to generation, the company is now merely a vehicle to increase profits for the people at the very top of the ladder. Even when they fail miserably, they get rewarded with huge severance packages and then just mosey over to the next company to pillage. When employees fail miserably they get told to **** off with minimal benefits, because again, companies are "cutting the fat."

Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
When you help yourself, that's when people start to help you.
I have an appointment on thursday. Gonna try to work something out for the CNC course. I'm literally begging them on my knees to help me get some kind of funding for it. I told them I'm unable to find work and that the course may be my only hope.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
They aren't blind though. They (and by they I don't mean the company as a whole but rather the CEO and his friends on the board) want to slash overhead and increase short-term profit. It is their only goal. Ford's cycle of virtue is dead and buried, and the new economy of slash and burn is here. Why spend money and energy on training new local workers when they can get people from overseas eager for any sort of job that gets them out of their home country, or as you said, poach them from some other company?

It has a ruthless logic to it, even though in the long term it will be harmful for the company. But one has to remember, the company is no longer important as it was once was. Rather than something treasured and handed down generation to generation, the company is now merely a vehicle to increase profits for the people at the very top of the ladder. Even when they fail miserably, they get rewarded with huge severance packages and then just mosey over to the next company to pillage. When employees fail miserably they get told to **** off with minimal benefits, because again, companies are "cutting the fat."
Eventually this logic will hurt the company when you see fewer and fewer people able to buy your products. I mean if a company's key reason to exist is profit from selling goods and services, you can't make profit if no one has money to buy them.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Eventually this logic will hurt the company when you see fewer and fewer people able to buy your products. I mean if a company's key reason to exist is profit from selling goods and services, you can't make profit if no one has money to buy them.

Exactly!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:25 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
It's not employers' fault that there is not sufficient demand to justify hiring more workers, and that the govt keeps piling on the regulations and expenses for their companies. You're asking employers to hire workers and pay them with money they don't have. That would be like me telling you "Companies need more people to buy stuff, so go out and buy a boat and a car and some fancy clothes and nice dinners." You don't have the money to do that (I assume...), so companies should not expect you to do that.

That said, we are very slowly climbing out of this hole. Things would likely be better than they are had some particular elections gone differently (hey, Reagan turned around Carter's mess in one term, what's Obama's excuse?), but what's done is done. All you can do is make yourself marketable to employers, since there ARE jobs out there. If you don't meet the qualifications to take those jobs, THAT is what you can change to better your life. The choice is yours. Good luck!
The stock market crashed under Reagan:

Black Monday (1987) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Exactly, and when we have these experience people die off or unable to continue their jobs, how are they going to be replaced when no one is trained for these jobs? That is a logical fallacy that the employers who are worried about the short-term gains are using right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment