Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:57 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What they did was disgusting but not illegal. They cannot go to jail because ex-post facto laws are against the constitution. But in response to their actions we can pass more laws for the future. Companies have legal department to tell them where the loopholes are and how sleazy they can act without getting arrested. All the same it hurts the country and puts a shame on us. It is a shame as I usually don't like excess regulation but so much of the stuff I've seen from companies has to be put a stop to.
There's also the possibility to slap around the sleazebags who committed what amount to crimes even if they can't be sent to prison. The companies involved should be broken up since they clearly cannot be trusted with money, real estate, or much of anything else. The sleazebags at the top should be fired and forbidden from ever again working in a position of fiduciary responsibility, and so on. There are ways to punish them and hold them accountable without prison time, but nothing will be done, of course, because they own this nation's government completely, and, frighteningly, have support from many in the population who just love letting big business do whatever it wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I don't know how this came to be, but I place the blame for this jobs crisis at the feet for those who are responsible for creating jobs for America. Consider it a public duty, if you will, to put people to work, those who NEED to work, not just the "best and brightest."
Excuse me, but I DO NOT owe you a job! The only thing I owe you is the compensation, benefits, and conditions you were promised when hired.

I do not owe You, the Unemployed, the Under-employed, or the Wish I had other Employment any "public duty" to create jobs I do not need or want so that you can overcome your own limitation in not finding employment.

It is not my role to wrap my arms around you and cry with you while offering you a position where a hundred more qualified applicants are more deserving of the position than you. Government provides social welfare, not me.

I have a duty to myself as owner, to the investors, to the clients, to the vendors and TO THE EMPLOYEES to spend our funds in the most productive and profitable manner so the best product and service can be delivered. To reject the best and brightest and instead waste money on a know nothing second rate left over is actually anti-employee.

I understand it’s frustrating, I can understand how it’s demeaning, I can even understand the pain.... but don’t you dare attempt to shift the blame to the employers. The blame is with the people, who as a whole, who would rather buy from communist China thus keeping China’s employees on the payroll, and could care less if we kick some American worker to the curb if it means saving 2 cents on a product. If you buy and support the cheap foreign business end, stop crying when your job is no longer around. People looking at price as the sole determining factor forces business to compete in a way that requires us to streamline, reduce overhead, and even dump several “in need of a job” people for only a few of the best and brightest

The money we save offshoring certain services is enough to raise wages resulting in the ability to attract the best and brightest. How quick will you be complaining if I imposed a "Need" criteria and someone with one more mouth to feed, or a month less experience, or not as much education is hired over you because your education and experience made you the "best and brightest" over that person.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:26 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
I've had to listen that to that tripe before, too. "Oh, the Housing Bubble was caused by just a few bad apples..." right... which explains why nearly every bank was involved in it and you couldn't throw a stone without hitting a crooked loan company, a crooked banker, or a crooked borrower - and they all happily enjoyed their liar loans with everything rated "AAA" by the worthless, paid-off rating companies. Then, everything crashes, they walk away rich, and the mess is swept under the rug with no justice. If it was only caused by "a few bad apples" we wouldn't have shelled out trillions of dollars to prop up the entire banking industry - and keep their executives well paid, of course!

Even a child could have figured out that something was wrong with houses doubling in price in a few years while incomes remained flat to declining, and then toss in the crazy liar loans that everyone was making and it's obvious that nearly everyone was in on it. But, who cares - as long as somebody makes money!

Of course, the fall-back excuse is, "Well, nothing they did was technically illegal." Not only is that itself questionable - given how little investigation has been done, I seriously doubt the law was followed in many cases - more importantly, when crooks write the laws and then exploit them to bleed an economy dry, what type of suckers stand around clucking about how okay it all is because "it was technically legal." Yes, let's let criminally minded sociopaths write our laws so they can steal legally... that'll work out just fine.

But who are we to decide what's right or wrong? Clearly, it's okay to steal trillions of dollars from the economy, right? Oh, wait - stealing is universally agreed upon to be wrong, and We The People have not only the right but the obligation to reign in lunatics at the top who think it's okay to bleed our nation dry.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,521,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Excuse me, but I DO NOT owe you a job! The only thing I owe you is the compensation, benefits, and conditions you were promised when hired.

I do not owe You, the Unemployed, the Under-employed, or the Wish I had other Employment any "public duty" to create jobs I do not need or want so that you can overcome your own limitation in not finding employment.

It is not my role to wrap my arms around you and cry with you while offering you a position where a hundred more qualified applicants are more deserving of the position than you. Government provides social welfare, not me.

I have a duty to myself as owner, to the investors, to the clients, to the vendors and TO THE EMPLOYEES to spend our funds in the most productive and profitable manner so the best product and service can be delivered. To reject the best and brightest and instead waste money on a know nothing second rate left over is actually anti-employee.

I understand it’s frustrating, I can understand how it’s demeaning, I can even understand the pain.... but don’t you dare attempt to shift the blame to the employers. The blame is with the people, who as a whole, who would rather buy from communist China thus keeping China’s employees on the payroll, and could care less if we kick some American worker to the curb if it means saving 2 cents on a product. If you buy and support the cheap foreign business end, stop crying when your job is no longer around. People looking at price as the sole determining factor forces business to compete in a way that requires us to streamline, reduce overhead, and even dump several “in need of a job” people for only a few of the best and brightest

The money we save offshoring certain services is enough to raise wages resulting in the ability to attract the best and brightest. How quick will you be complaining if I imposed a "Need" criteria and someone with one more mouth to feed, or a month less experience, or not as much education is hired over you because your education and experience made you the "best and brightest" over that person.
You may not owe me a job, but society sure as heck does. How will I eat, clothe and house myself? Oh yeah, there's the government to help folks like me. That's all fine and dandy until people like you start b*tching about how your taxes go to support deadbeats like me - one only has to look at the bitter political divide in this country today to see how that's panning out. So, either way, you've gotta pay the price to ensure social justice. Either hire one or two people out of fifty or a hundred that really could use a job, and prevent those people from going on the dole, or put us "undesirables" out on the street, leaving us *no choice* but to get the government to support us. The government then turns to you, the one with money, and takes it and gives it to people like me. Is that's what you really want? If so, that's great, as that's exactly what you'll get. And eventually, as time goes on, we'll be living in a Marxist paradise, it'll be fine and dandy for me, as I'm used to being poor, but "productive" folks like you aren't gonna be liking it too much, I don't think.

Really, the choice (collectively) is yours. Start hiring, hire big, and hire generously, and turn this country around, or just go on being uber-picky and stingy as all-get out, making communism look more and more attractive to the rest of us. Again, the choice is yours...

Old 11-05-2013, 05:55 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,410,613 times
You can outsource all the jobs you want but who will buy the goods? You take the jobs from americans, then expect americans to buy the goods when they can barely keep a roof over their head. It doesn't work like that. Outsourcers have broken a cycle and will pay for it dearly. That's the thing though, they only see in the present (profit) but not the consequences that will arise in the future. If america becomes an impoverished third world country, corporations will not be able to sell their junk here for inflated prices. Like a $2.00 pair of nike shoes for $200. Haha, jokes on you. Go find your "profit" somewhere else.

I'm not as anti-business as you may think I am, but I think anyone who would sell out their country to make a buck, even going as far as to pull the rug out from millions, is insane.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,636,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
You may not owe me a job, but society sure as heck does. How will I eat, clothe and house myself? Oh yeah, there's the government to help folks like me. That's all fine and dandy until people like you start b*tching about how your taxes go to support deadbeats like me - one only has to look at the bitter political divide in this country today to see how that's panning out. So, either way, you've gotta pay the price to ensure social justice. Either hire one or two people out of fifty or a hundred that really could use a job, and prevent those people from going on the dole, or put us "undesirables" out on the street, leaving us *no choice* but to get the government to support us. The government then turns to you, the one with money, and takes it and gives it to people like me. Is that's what you really want? If so, that's great, as that's exactly what you'll get. And eventually, as time goes on, we'll be living in a Marxist paradise, it'll be fine and dandy for me, as I'm used to being poor, but "productive" folks like you aren't gonna be liking it too much, I don't think.

Really, the choice (collectively) is yours. Start hiring, hire big, and hire generously, and turn this country around, or just go on being uber-picky and stingy as all-get out, making communism look more and more attractive to the rest of us. Again, the choice is yours...

Excellent post.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Quote:
Any the people of this country do not owe you our business or investment dollars. Companies that behave like slimeballs or outsource need to be boycotted.

I am quite happy using Linux as my OS and drinking generic soda.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
In a nutshell, what is your job experience?
What education level have attained? Degree? In what?

Also realize, the purpose of a company or employer isn't to provide jobs. The purpose is to make money (for you and me, the stakeholders). If firing people means I'll make more money, then that is what I want. Efficiency and profits and increase in share value.
Ok so why don't more companies reward star performers or make sure star performers do not jump ship for more money elsewhere? if someone is making your company more successful that means they're probably helping you and the stakeholders make more money. Wouldn't you want to make sure this person stays at your company instead of losing them to a competitor? Technically a lot of higher ups at companies are probably in the end causing their company to lose money so they should be fired. What happens is the performers at the bottom of the food chain are the ones that get screwed. These are the people that are making your precious company successful.

Corporate America in 2013 = Epic fail.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 11-05-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 07:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Quote:

While some of this is true and some of it unrealistic (like avoiding buying goods made in China), something else is different nowadays compared to businesses before roughly the 1980s. What's different is the priority of the investors. Companies will happily lay off good employees so the investors can earn more. One only has to compare the continuing rise of the stock market (investor class) to the employment rates (to include quality of the jobs) to realize this.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
You can outsource all the jobs you want but who will buy the goods? You take the jobs from americans, then expect americans to buy the goods when they can barely keep a roof over their head. It doesn't work like that. Outsourcers have broken a cycle and will pay for it dearly. That's the thing though, they only see in the present (profit) but not the consequences that will arise in the future. If america becomes an impoverished third world country, corporations will not be able to sell their junk here for inflated prices. Like a $2.00 pair of nike shoes for $200. Haha, jokes on you. Go find your "profit" somewhere else.

I'm not as anti-business as you may think I am, but I think anyone who would sell out their country to make a buck, even going as far as to pull the rug out from millions, is insane.
I don't think they get it's a vicious cycle and currently we are on a race to the bottom. When the middle class collapses and there is no more money to spend - THEN businesses will get it.

Meanwhile - all those jobs they did away with during the recession? They are NEVER coming back. Because corporations have figured out they can work their current employees like DOGS and increase their profit.

So, there is no end in sight until our current society collapses.

We will thrive together or we will fail together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment