Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 07:20 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,101,255 times

Advertisements

Well for me that was only last year. I got a job after graduating from college in the previous year. Unfortunately it was not what I went to college. I guess I should be happy to have a job, even though it is full of people who never finished school. I was a whole lot more mature at 28 than compared to 18 when I was still trying to figure things out. Still crazy where you are. I don't know if I feel like I'm 29. I will be 30 next year and hope to get my dietetic internship in 2014. I sure hope 2014 is a better year for everyone.

Charlie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 08:17 PM

615 posts, read 1,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Geeze, I know this isn't the personal finance forum but... $150k salary and it will take you 3 years to be debt free? My twisted mind can envisage that kind of salary paying off any/all debt a 20-something could accumulate, AND save for a down payment in a year or less

What sort of 'certificates' do you have and plan on getting? That's not something we have in my country (well I'm sure we do, just called something different)
Judging by his name, he is probably a blue collar worker in the oil industry. It is very tough, potentially dangerous, and backbreaking work. They call them roughnecks for a reason.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:30 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,382,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
Judging by his name, he is probably a blue collar worker in the oil industry. It is very tough, potentially dangerous, and backbreaking work. They call them roughnecks for a reason.
I work in the construction industry and also the oil industry, but I don't do pipelines (yet)

I work in management so the extent of my work is sitting in the office and walking around and monitoring the job site. I haven't wotked a weekend since March and have worked 4 days weeks most of the last few months.

The oil industry is hard and backbreaking work for the people that actually do the work. Depending on their position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-12-2013, 04:58 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,755,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
I work in the construction industry and also the oil industry, but I don't do pipelines (yet)

I work in management so the extent of my work is sitting in the office and walking around and monitoring the job site. I haven't wotked a weekend since March and have worked 4 days weeks most of the last few months.

The oil industry is hard and backbreaking work for the people that actually do the work. Depending on their position.

I agree for the most part 1st couple of years the oil field is hard back breaking work, but then if you are smart, work hard, and are willing to change companies to move up it is not hard to get into a pretty cushy job making 6 figures within a handful of years, I have many friends and family members who have done it. I tried but my wife could not handle me being away from home 2 weeks at a time with my daughter having her medical problems.

Pipe lining is the job to get into though, I have a step dad who is a pipeline inspector who makes well into the 6 figures every year and spends the cold months at home working on his classic car collection and traveling to warm weather.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:16 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,382,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I agree for the most part 1st couple of years the oil field is hard back breaking work, but then if you are smart, work hard, and are willing to change companies to move up it is not hard to get into a pretty cushy job making 6 figures within a handful of years, I have many friends and family members who have done it. I tried but my wife could not handle me being away from home 2 weeks at a time with my daughter having her medical problems.

Pipe lining is the job to get into though, I have a step dad who is a pipeline inspector who makes well into the 6 figures every year and spends the cold months at home working on his classic car collection and traveling to warm weather.
Yep I agree with all of it now. I travel now and my gf comes with me. Once I'm debt free and have a lot saved I'll find a permanent job where I can settle in one place buy a house, etc.

Pipe lining is very good paying but its also crap work a lot of the time. Literally in the middle of nowhere in mud and dirt and your truck is your office. For welders it pays highest but management can make as much in other ventures as well. Refineries, chemical plants, fabrication of offshore platforms, working on offshore platforms, etc.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 PM

30,398 posts, read 52,011,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Geeze, I know this isn't the personal finance forum but... $150k salary and it will take you 3 years to be debt free? My twisted mind can envisage that kind of salary paying off any/all debt a 20-something could accumulate, AND save for a down payment in a year or less
Depends on where you live, really. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, that kind of salary would be comfortable - but definitely NOT enough to pay off major debts, and save for a down payment in a year. Considering our median home prices are around $850K, even $400K+ for a small condo, it takes a lot of saving and income to afford anything! Hence the reason I'm still renting @ age 37.

But I'm assuming that poster lives in Houston (based on their screen name), which I'm pretty sure has a low cost of living. So yeah.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,722,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF VET View Post
just having gotten out after coming home from over there, so im living with my grandmother who happens to live in the middle of nowhere in Jersey, yet conviently theres a liquor store down the hill so im set, stop by every week and get a few 30 packs, sit in the back ayrd and get hammered, all on my own. Its quiet out there, so i knew i was safe and would feel comfortable, when it got cold id pick up a cheap bottle of whiskey and go to town in my room...
That's some funny hsit. Made my day. I like the brutal honesty.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times
So, at age 28 what were you like?

I was married, living on Eastern Long Island, was in 2 bass fishing clubs (an officer in one of them), was going to college at night, had a full time job, lived in an apartment, was barely making ends meet because my then husband had his own business and we were basically living on my paycheck. Between the ages of 18 and 20 (3yrs) I had lived single in Washington, DC with roommates. Prior to 18, I also lived on Long Island.

How many jobs had you had?

I had a job since I was 15 years old (after school), (actually at 14.5 I tutored), until I retired at 55 with no unemployment breaks. So let's see, by the time I was 28, I had had 8 jobs four of which I had while I was still in High School (after school and during the summers). Then I went to college for a spell in DC and had a part-time job. Then I quit college and worked in 3 jobs full-time. But, Between the ages of 21 until I retired, I had the same employer. I just worked in different positions, in different locations with that employer. So, 8 jobs until I was 21, then 34 years with the same employer, different positions.

How much savings?

Next to none at 28.

Could you drive a car?

Yes. But, I did not get my license until I was 21 because living in DC, I did not really need a car.

What about love/marriage(I know its too young to be married but there have been instances where people have).

Married at 21. Separated at 36. Divorced at 39.

Your education background?

While working full-time, I got my BA by going to college at night going straight there from my full-time day job. I wanted the degree so I could get higher paying positions at work. I did and moved back to the DC area, same employer that I had on Long Island. I paid my way through college. I had no college debt when I graduated. Prior to moving to DC, I got divorced. I'm currently retired and living well in Tennessee. I managed to save a lot of money after I got divorced. I'm not materialistic and the things I enjoy doing the most are cheap or free. I pay off my credit card in full every month. I own my car - no debt.

Last edited by LauraC; 11-13-2013 at 05:42 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 PM

541 posts, read 1,997,007 times
Lets see-that would be 1998. I had been married for 2 years (17 now.) I had worked at 3 pretty good jobs and several high school/college ones. 3 pretty good ones: retail/sales/merchandising in NYC at Lord and Taylor on 5th Ave-pretty nice, managing a travel agency/travel agent and an office manager for an internet/web design company with my husband (loved working together.) I got my drivers license at 25 since I grew up in NYC and never needed a car. We had some savings, but not a lot. I went to school for English/Art/Photography.

As for what I was like. I loved to travel-still do. We had been to Mexico several times, all over the Caribbean, Europe, all around this country, etc. I loved photography and animals. Loved to read. Loved the outdoors and nature. Was starting to think we should not have kids since no one with them seemed happy

Last edited by luvthatmouse; 11-15-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 11:12 AM

861 posts, read 1,458,170 times
So, at age 28 what were you like?
I'll see in six years.

How many jobs had you had?
Two. First as a cashier starting at Publix at 14 and now, as an electrician.

How much savings?
$30,000

Could you drive a car?
Yes, I have a truck. Chevy Silverado.

What about love/marriage(I know its too young to be married but there have been instances where people have).
My wife and I married at 18. We have two children and are planning on having two more within the next five years.

Your education background?
High school diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment