Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:18 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times

Advertisements

I have a bachelor's degree, I straight up own my car, I'm still paying off my student loans (hope to have them paid off in the next two years), I'm in a semi-serious relationship, I have lived across country, I have had six seven jobs since high school (two after college), I make decent money for my age.

Basically, your 20s are the time to make your mistakes and live it up. Most people begin to truly settle down in their 30s. By the time you're in your 40s, you're typically making the best money you're going to make in your career, you have a family, and you're paying off your mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
So, at age 28 what were you like?
I'll see in six years.

How many jobs had you had?
Two. First as a cashier starting at Publix at 14 and now, as an electrician.

How much savings?
$30,000

Could you drive a car?
Yes, I have a truck. Chevy Silverado.

What about love/marriage(I know its too young to be married but there have been instances where people have).
My wife and I married at 18. We have two children and are planning on having two more within the next five years.

Your education background?
High school diploma.

How does a 22 year old that got married at 18 with two kids and only has a high school diploma manage to have $30,000 saved up? I'm going to assume that it was given to you?

Old 11-17-2013, 05:08 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,377,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
How does a 22 year old that got married at 18 with two kids and only has a high school diploma manage to have $30,000 saved up? I'm going to assume that it was given to you?
Are you serious? Had I had not wasted 2.5 years in college and went straight to the tech school I finished at 21 I easily couldve been in his position at 22. Instead it took me a while to find my niche.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 AM

10 posts, read 18,212 times
I'm 25 but I'll answer these anyway

Right now at 25, still living at home with the folks and working full time in a department store. My boss and mate lived with his folks till he was 29, he's 33 now and has his own family and house in a good neighbourhood.

No relationship and spending money on my hobbies. And beer. After 9 hours of sweating loading pallets, moving them around, working stock onto shelves, re-arranging store displays, working with bulk goods like cartons of coke, those 15kg dog food bags, potting mix etc, all in a customer-laden department store, beer is compulsory.

2. I Did demolition from 2009-10 and worked in a department store from 2007 after high school until now. So 2 "real" jobs, and for a short while I did both at the same time.

How much savings?

About $12,000

Could you drive a car?

Yeah, got my learner permit while in high school as soon as I turned 16 (the legal age here), became licensed at 18. My parents were not going to have me bumming rides off them! My 16th BD present was a learner driver logbook lol! I can't thank my parents enough for basically forcing me to get a license no matter what as soon as I was legal.. driving is an extremely important skill and opens a myriad of job opportunties that would otherwise be out of reach.

I own my car outright which I payed for entirely and always make sure I have more than enough cash saved for servicing and other maintenance. It's a 1998 Ford Falcon wagon, which hasn't left me stranded once and runs like silk. Great car. I can't imagine life without the freedom that a car offers. Even if it's just going for a cruise on the weekend for no reason.... a great way to unwind and relax.

What about love/marriage(I know its too young to be married but there have been instances where people have).

No relationship to speak of, I have completed high school and also have a diploma in surveying/drafting and spatial sciences but the more I think about it,stuck in an office with other people for 8-10 hours, having to rack your brain over complex maths, worrying about perfection and precision (a single mistake can result in you in court), dealing with clients and a boss constantly there etc is making me sicker and sicker.

I am strongly considering getting a truck licence and becoming a trucker, mostly for deliveries around the city with intent to drive semi trailers delivering for supermarket chains in a few years. Driving a truck here is big money, and if you are delivering goods to supermarkets etc, you still get to go home every evening and have a weekend like anyone else. But, if you work the weekend, for those 2 days you make as much as most other average people during a 5 day week.

Last edited by Permanent Overcast; 11-18-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 07:25 AM

10 posts, read 18,212 times
Currently my department store job pays $20/hour and my demolition gig used to be $18/hour. My current goal is to get my Heavy Combination Licence at 30 years, allowing me to drive semi trailers and my Multi Comination licence a couple of years later allowing me to drive B-doubles and road trains.

Last edited by Permanent Overcast; 11-18-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Interesting..I would like to add my input.

I am 27

Own my own home, bought it and remodeled it. (have since I was 25)
I am on my 3rd full time job. I owned a landscaping business from ages 16 through 20.
I have a BS and an MBA
I own two vehicles (one outright and one still owe) Truck and a commuter car
I have around $50K between savings and IRA/401K
Still paying for school (but very little in comparison to others)
I have a steady girlfriend and a cat.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:54 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Thought everything and anything was possible through positive attitude. Much more realistic and honest with myself with every year.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
So, at age 28 what were you like? Bored with my life in Indiana and chomping at the bit to get out. I was about to get laid off from a decent job and be trapped in the world of part-time work for awhile. Married, had a 3-4 year old.

How many jobs had you had? Quite a few.

How much savings? Not as much as I would have liked, but we had little debt.

Could you drive a car? Yes, I could drive an auto since I was 18 and just then learned how drive a manual. I was learning a lot about automotive repair during this time. I can diagnose a lot of problems now.

What about love/marriage? Married at 22. Still happily married nearly a decade later.

Your education background? BA a few days after I got married. I've taken some classes here and there in math, accounting, and programming, but I can't afford to go back to school for another degree.

I lived pretty much by the seat of my pants in my 20s and into my 30s, and had an incredible ride. Now as I lumber towards my mid 30s, I am starting to give some serious consideration to buying a house and settling down in one place. Even as recently as a year ago, I wouldn't have seen myself really ready for that yet.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,684,215 times
Age 28? Let's see...

I was halfway through law school and living at the beach in California. I was always broke, as tuition was high and I was only working part time. I didn't really like law school, though. Still, I finally finished.

Fast forward 34 years. I'm 62, retired, and still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 PM

10 posts, read 52,778 times
I would say I still had a bit of growing up to do. I was smart, but I was still too introverted and afraid of making my mark on the world.

I had several part time jobs and was interning. I graduated from grad school to get a MA in planning. That summer I got hired full time as a planner.

How much savings?
Student loans, no savings.

Could you drive a car?
Absolutely.

Didn't even think about it.

Finished my MA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment