Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,431,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's some incredible hyperbole.

GE's CEO makes 1/5th of a penny per share in a typical year.
That's 20million give or take.
They employ over 100k people with a payroll that is over a 1000x higher than Mr. Immelts salary, not even remotely close.

Best of all, it's a private company. We the owners of said company (stockholders) can decide what we want to pay someone to essentially act as the owner of the company via proxy.

The same way that we the public can decide to make Johnny Depp tens of millions by watching his movies, make Celine Dion more money a year than GE's CEO by paying to attend her Vegas shows and make Jay Z more money than any CEO in the US this year by buying his Beats headphones etc.
GE has NEVER put to a vote what the CEO pay should be. Ever.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah, so a CEO has no talent and doesn't contribute to the companys success.

Ok, so lets forget the players....most professional coaches make more than CEO's. I guess we need to cap coaches salaries to 12x that of the guy selling peanuts and beer? Ditto for guys like Nick Saban....oh, better cap his endorsement income too. After all, he isn't the talent, he's just the guy that runs the whole show LIKE A CEO.

It really sounds like you have zero appreciation for education and them book learnin types but if a guy can run real fast with a football or sing well then heck let's give them tens of millions of dollars.
No a CEO isnt the talent of an organization. I work high enough in a fortune 500 to know that the CEO is the figurehead, but not the talent. You would know this too if you worked with them on a daily basis. The talent is the revenue source. The talent is engineering, its the R&D department, its the Operations managers who consistently deliver on time, its the lean team that designs faster, better ways to deliver and manufacture. THAT is your talent sir. Anyone on here that has worked with a CEO in a large corporation knows that the CEO is NOT the talent. If anything their pet projects make the job 10x harder than it needs to be.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
DING!! DING!! DING!! We have the winning argument!

"It ain't easy, so I ain't doin' it! Now give me more money!"

I went from being homeless to making over the median income in less than a decade's worth of time, with effectively zero college education, and _without_ a single bit of the eleventy million assistance programs out there.

It's entirely doable. No, it wasn't at all easy. In fact, it was quite difficult at times. But I didn't want to be one of these people spending most of their free time whining about how much the world sucks and is stacked against them. Reminds me of the gal I work with that constantly complains about being broke, over worked, and under paid, while parading in the newest designer purse or jeans she bought that week.
When did you do this exactly? I mean nowadays even earning a college degree cannot get you a median income unless you are connected or the best of the best of the best with honors and distinction and did many clubs and even worked in your field.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But how does these courses help translate to the workplace? These are singular courses and do not have a certificate like my original point you glossed over. You say I am complaining, I honestly think I am just questioning the logic of people that think that those in minimum wage jobs are not trying to better themselves but honestly cannot...
They give you the ability to do volunteer work, speak intelligently when networking, and prove that you are valuable enough to hire. You don't need certificates to get a job if you can prove you know what you are doing. I question your logic when I just gave you several hundred hours of lectures for free taught by graduate level professors at places such as Yale, Oxford and MIT and you still throw your hands up and say "why would I even try". Did you even look at the lectures on that site I gave you?

How many hours per week do you spend improving yourself off the clock right now? Any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
No a CEO isnt the talent of an organization. I work high enough in a fortune 500 to know that the CEO is the figurehead, but not the talent. You would know this too if you worked with them on a daily basis. The talent is the revenue source. The talent is engineering, its the R&D department, its the Operations managers who consistently deliver on time, its the lean team that designs faster, better ways to deliver and manufacture. THAT is your talent sir. Anyone on here that has worked with a CEO in a large corporation knows that the CEO is NOT the talent. If anything their pet projects make the job 10x harder than it needs to be.
There is no chance you are high up in a fortune 500 company if this is what you think. Obviously the lower people are talent, but so is the CEO. The CEO is just a different kind of talent. Are you saying management and risk management aren't talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
GE has NEVER put to a vote what the CEO pay should be. Ever.
GE's executive compensation policies are signed off on in the annual shareholder's proxy vote. The voting is held annually every april for GE. Buy a few shares and start voting. You 'work high enough in a fortune 500 company' and don't know that executive compensation is part of what shareholders vote for in a company such as GE?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,750,103 times
Many of you folks would have loved the old Soviet Union.

Too bad they're not around anymore.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:33 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,171,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Your example is crap. Mainly because you forget the MANY members of the executive staff that also make obscene amounts of money. Also, because not all employees need government aid. I was strictly speaking of those that need gov aid.

Assuming you were correct, and that there are 1,200,000 Walmart employees collecting aid right now, If those employees were paid 2X minimum wage, ie approx $35k/year,(which is still less than the average American household income by roughly 10k), those employees would (individually) pay $4,804 (Tax Bracket Calculator - TaxACT)

$4,804*1,200,000 = 5.765 Billion.
It had nothing to do with who was collecting aid right now. That was how many US employees there are from Walmart. Go read it again. The first part was a response to the person that said one Walmart Supercenter costs taxpayers 900k/yr.

The second was how much they could increase each employee's hourly wage if they capped the CEOs pay at 400k. Let's assume there are 50 people at Walmart that make rougly 2 million a year (the focus was on CEOs, but let's say all the high paid leadership). So we have 120 million that we can divide up by 2.2 million employees. Now you can pay everyone 54 more dollars a year or about 1 dollar a week. But let's say only 1.5 million of those are people you really care about (people making less than 20 an hour. Now we can pay each one of those employee's an extra $1.50 a week if we cap the top 50 employee's pay.

You just don't understand how scale works. If Walmart became not for profit tomorrow they could afford to raise everyone's wage by about 6k/yr. Let's not pretend they are hoarding millions from each employee. They company is built on scale. The margins are tiny (3.6%). Now look at a company like Apple there profit margins are 26.7% or 7.5x as much as Walmart makes, but nobody seems to care much about them.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,163,938 times
Was Steve Jobs paid too much? Bill Gates?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 PM

lol whatever guys. This is either a board full of CEO's, or people who will be on the streets in 5 years because they arent being paid enough to survive.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
They give you the ability to do volunteer work, speak intelligently when networking, and prove that you are valuable enough to hire. You don't need certificates to get a job if you can prove you know what you are doing.
Not quite. There are a good number (large minority/small majority) that actually do require certification and/or degrees that this free learning cannot give to you.

Quote:
I question your logic when I just gave you several hundred hours of lectures for free taught by graduate level professors at places such as Yale, Oxford and MIT and you still throw your hands up and say "why would I even try". Did you even look at the lectures on that site I gave you?
I did by scanning through and seeing how many actually offered hard skills and not soft skills. Besides Computer Science and Business, there wasn't much else.

Quote:
How many hours per week do you spend improving yourself off the clock right now? Any?
More than you realize because bettering yourself is multi-leveled. I work out virtually everyday and learn about the world, that counts.

Old 11-22-2013, 02:11 PM

444 posts, read 820,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
It had nothing to do with who was collecting aid right now. That was how many US employees there are from Walmart. Go read it again. The first part was a response to the person that said one Walmart Supercenter costs taxpayers 900k/yr.

The second was how much they could increase each employee's hourly wage if they capped the CEOs pay at 400k. Let's assume there are 50 people at Walmart that make rougly 2 million a year (the focus was on CEOs, but let's say all the high paid leadership). So we have 120 million that we can divide up by 2.2 million employees. Now you can pay everyone 54 more dollars a year or about 1 dollar a week. But let's say only 1.5 million of those are people you really care about (people making less than 20 an hour. Now we can pay each one of those employee's an extra $1.50 a week if we cap the top 50 employee's pay.

You just don't understand how scale works. If Walmart became not for profit tomorrow they could afford to raise everyone's wage by about 6k/yr. Let's not pretend they are hoarding millions from each employee. They company is built on scale. The margins are tiny (3.6%). Now look at a company like Apple there profit margins are 26.7% or 7.5x as much as Walmart makes, but nobody seems to care much about them.
I was the person that said walmart cost tax payers 900k/year.

Next, Walmart makes (revenue) $215,000/year per employee. It's BS to say that the only way Walmart can afford to pay all it's employees a livable wage is to be a non-profit. walmart - Wolfram|Alpha

At $215,000/year per employee, I think it's unreasonable to say that Walmart can't figure out how to pay EVERY employee a livable wage. And considering that most walmart stores are 1.) not "allowed" in high COL areas like NYC, BOS, San Jose, San Fran, etc 2.) Most stores are in low COL areas, $14.89/hour is a reasonable wage for walmart employees to figure out how to live off of.

Wal-Mart could pay every U.S. employee $14.89 just by not buying its own stock - Salon.com
HERE'S ONE WAY TO HELP THE ECONOMY: Walmart Could Give Every U.S. Employee A $5,000 Raise - Business Insider

It's not that they don't have the money, it's that they don't want to distribute it in a fair fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment