Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After receiving an Associates Degree or higher, have you worked at a job that paid less than 2X mini
Yes 40 68.97%
No 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,948 times

Advertisements

B.S biology 2008. No low wage job. Considered it simply for extra money on the side but it's not necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 02:45 PM

458 posts, read 644,982 times
People with college degrees need to wake up and realize that the market for college was created by baby boomers and influenced by bank investors.
Now that the economy has collapsed, you need to look back at the Great Depression and learn some knowledge about what your grandparents or great grandparents did during that time period.
Only 10% of the population had college degrees during the Great Depression.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 PM

444 posts, read 820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
People with college degrees need to wake up and realize that the market for college was created by baby boomers and influenced by bank investors.
Now that the economy has collapsed, you need to look back at the Great Depression and learn some knowledge about what your grandparents or great grandparents did during that time period.
Those jobs have been sent over seas, or replaced by robots. That's why this thread was created.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:53 PM

458 posts, read 644,982 times
candycanechick that comment wasn't actually directed towards you.
I was just making a general statement and agreeing with you.
nice screen name btw!

Old 11-24-2013, 03:32 PM

373 posts, read 589,590 times
Post-bachelor degree: sweat shop; later on, sweat shop + donut shop. (both during grad school which took almost 3 yrs to complete) I was in my low 20's, not living at home.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:16 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Except most positions STILL require a college degree.

Go to a website of any major company and check out job requirements. It's always a college degree PLUS relevant work experience.

Unless you want to work in a trade, then I still recommend going to college BUT you HAVE to do internships during the summers and take out as few loans as possible. I got lucky and got a 100% academic scholarship, but if you can't get scholarships, then start out at a community college to save $ because it won't matter in the long run after you transfer and graduate from a 4 year school.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
Those jobs have been sent over seas, or replaced by robots. That's why this thread was created.

Most of those jobs have been replaced, Friday I met with a young couple, both right around 25 years old, they both have jobs in the oil field, and combined their taxable household wages are over $200,000 a year. They work in North Dakota, and are flown in and out of North Dakota every 2 weeks where their company puts them up in a hotel and gives them $53 a day per diem on top of the wages, both have great benefits with a 5% match on a 401k, what Obama Care considers a Cadillac insurance plan, stock options, quarterly bonuses, and both asked me if I knew of anybody looking for work as their company was putting together another recruitment package to bring in people across the country as they cannot get enough help. Requirements is that you have to catch the plane and show up at work daily, no high school diploma, credit can be terrible, no previous experience, you can even have a criminal record as long as you can now pass a drug test now and have no felony history of violence.

By the way both had the opportunity to work in Northern Colorado and turned it down, they make the extra money on the per diem that they would lose out on by staying home, and that is the money they use to invest in real estate.

Unfortunately many people will refuse the work, you see it is difficult back breaking work out in the elements, with no work life balance while you are up there, and you are working for those evil oil companies.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:39 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
If this were the late 80s and 90s, that couple would have been jobless if oil was the only skill they had. It's a boom-bust sector with opportunities only as good as commodity prices go.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Most of those jobs have been replaced, Friday I met with a young couple, both right around 25 years old, they both have jobs in the oil field, and combined their taxable household wages are over $200,000 a year. They work in North Dakota, and are flown in and out of North Dakota every 2 weeks where their company puts them up in a hotel and gives them $53 a day per diem on top of the wages, both have great benefits with a 5% match on a 401k, what Obama Care considers a Cadillac insurance plan, stock options, quarterly bonuses, and both asked me if I knew of anybody looking for work as their company was putting together another recruitment package to bring in people across the country as they cannot get enough help. Requirements is that you have to catch the plane and show up at work daily, no high school diploma, credit can be terrible, no previous experience, you can even have a criminal record as long as you can now pass a drug test now and have no felony history of violence.

By the way both had the opportunity to work in Northern Colorado and turned it down, they make the extra money on the per diem that they would lose out on by staying home, and that is the money they use to invest in real estate.

Unfortunately many people will refuse the work, you see it is difficult back breaking work out in the elements, with no work life balance while you are up there, and you are working for those evil oil companies.
Post what company this is, or similar others, I can fill up those positions inside a week.

I seriously doubt they are having that much trouble, there are people moving to other states just for a loss prevention job at Walmart. Heck, I know people who have moved out of the country for low wage teach English jobs because they could not find anything here.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post

Are they going up there as manual laborers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment