Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After receiving an Associates Degree or higher, have you worked at a job that paid less than 2X mini
Yes 40 68.97%
No 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:52 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times

Advertisements

Yes, during professional employment for extra money. I have an MA in ED+. I've cleaned houses, dispatched for an ambulance company, sold Avon, taught dancing. Then, after I retired at age 47, got a facelift, boob job and became a stripper for the next 10 years. Education in itself is a wonderful thing but I never let it get in the way of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:12 PM

455 posts, read 898,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
graduated in 1988 with education. Spent next 2 years subbing, working as bartender at night, construction during summer, and another summer at a book store.

everyone should experience the above, at least for awhile.
I agree, but not in that order.

I did all the minimum wage jobs before I went to college. Gave me time to grow up a little so that by the time I went to college, I was there in the right frame of mind and had a working idea of what I actually wanted to do with my life and the motivation to achieve it, with the added bonus of the party distractions behind me.

I just went for an AAS in the tech sector. I had a GED going into it. My first job after college has me at 53K after 1 year. In Louisiana (low COL area).

Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Another friend graduated with some sort of geophysics degree. From what I understand, it's good if you want to work in the oil industry. Today, he delivers pizzas. Major stoner though and probably couldn't pass a pee-in-the-cup test.

Folks need to quit equating college degrees with gaurenteed success. It can help, but relationship is way overtrumped.
A BS in geophysics doesn't prepare you for a specific job but it does signal that you're pretty smart, imho.
It's like a math or physics degree. It's not job training but those who graduate from those programs can usually pick up computer programming or analyst tasks fairly easily. Your friend's problem is that he's a stoner and that has probably utterly and completely destroyed any shadow of ambition that he ever had in him. Shame.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:09 PM
hvl

I have a BA and did work at low wage jobs after graduation.
People kept telling me that I was crazy working garbage jobs with my background so I kicked myself in the butt and landed a real job in sales and I then moved to running the analysis and data reporting at the company. BA in math.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:39 PM

444 posts, read 820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
A BS in geophysics doesn't prepare you for a specific job but it does signal that you're pretty smart, imho.
It's like a math or physics degree. It's not job training but those who graduate from those programs can usually pick up computer programming or analyst tasks fairly easily. Your friend's problem is that he's a stoner and that has probably utterly and completely destroyed any shadow of ambition that he ever had in him. Shame.
Funny how smart people turn to drugs.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
An Associates degree? Wow. Not even sure what to answer here. Let me begin by saying that an Associates is a 2 year degree that few industries will have as an entrance degree to a high paying job. Most places would want a Bachelors or higher. Even in Nursing we want someone with a Bachelors in Nursing or higher. In the old days an RN with an Associates could get a job right out of school and probably with several hospitals wanting the graduate to work for them. An RN can still get work much easier than others with an Associates but you get my point.

As for me, I went to school as a working adult. I have a background in Facilities Management. I have a Bachelors and a Masters. My Masters is in Business Administration, MBA. I have been making no less than $18 an hour for the past 20 years. I currently make much more than $18 an hour. In fact I don't work per an hour anymore. My income alone is in the high 5 figures and both my wife and I make into the 6 figures.

It just depends on the field or dicipline that one enters that will determine how much they will make out of school.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Humanities. Have worked at every low wage job from cocktail waitress in a dive bar to dog walker. With a PhD. Each period of low-wage lasted about a year or until I went back to school for another useless degree. It didn't end until I got a teaching certificate.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:44 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Humanities. Have worked at every low wage job from cocktail waitress in a dive bar to dog walker. With a PhD. Each period of low-wage lasted about a year or until I went back to school for another useless degree. It didn't end until I got a teaching certificate.
I knew a friend who worked at normally low wage jobs during her studies in philosophy but she did pretty well as a waitress at a very, very high end restaurant.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Most of those jobs have been replaced, Friday I met with a young couple, both right around 25 years old, they both have jobs in the oil field, and combined their taxable household wages are over $200,000 a year. They work in North Dakota, and are flown in and out of North Dakota every 2 weeks where their company puts them up in a hotel and gives them $53 a day per diem on top of the wages, both have great benefits with a 5% match on a 401k, what Obama Care considers a Cadillac insurance plan, stock options, quarterly bonuses, and both asked me if I knew of anybody looking for work as their company was putting together another recruitment package to bring in people across the country as they cannot get enough help. Requirements is that you have to catch the plane and show up at work daily, no high school diploma, credit can be terrible, no previous experience, you can even have a criminal record as long as you can now pass a drug test now and have no felony history of violence.

By the way both had the opportunity to work in Northern Colorado and turned it down, they make the extra money on the per diem that they would lose out on by staying home, and that is the money they use to invest in real estate.

Unfortunately many people will refuse the work, you see it is difficult back breaking work out in the elements, with no work life balance while you are up there, and you are working for those evil oil companies.
Tell them I will work. Give me the info and ill apply

Old 11-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Yes, during professional employment for extra money. I have an MA in ED+. I've cleaned houses, dispatched for an ambulance company, sold Avon, taught dancing. Then, after I retired at age 47, got a facelift, boob job and became a stripper for the next 10 years. Education in itself is a wonderful thing but I never let it get in the way of success.
With that screen name and post lets be friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment