Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:12 PM

103 posts, read 185,459 times

Advertisements

I had a similar situation. I worked for a temp agency and I remember my supervisor on the job had said, "Have a good weekend I will see you on Monday." Almost 30 minutes after I left work the temp agency called me and told me the assignment was over. No reason given (at least that was from the temp agency). After that they did call me and invited me to a interview but that was the last call from the agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 05:07 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
I hate working for temp agencies because their clients can literally fire you if you sneeze too loud (exaggeration but you get my point). Typically temp agencies (from my experience as temp) will not fire their temp unless the client fires the temp (which is what happened to me today). Once that happens, you are temp toast with your temp agency. Happened to me today and I'm P'O'd about it BIG TIME. After 6 months on the job, many red flags from my co-worker that I tried to address with my supervisor (who proved to be a big fat liar), I got let go for reasons I don't consider valid. So I went to see an employment lawyer at a walk-in law clinic but he didn't really have any worthwhile advice for me, since I live in a "fire-at-will" state, where the employer doesn't have to provide a valid reason to fire you.

Has this ever happened to anyone else while temping?

Sure I can join other temp agencies (already emailed my resume to several but that is not a reliable source of income), but I really just need to find a stable job. It's been seven months since I left grad school, and I'm FREAKING OUT b/c I have enough $ for rent, but that's pretty much it. I had to apply for energy assistance today so that the utility company won't shut off the heat in my apartment, and contact an aunt in another state who the family considers "unstable" (she's cuckoo, to put it mildly and makes irrational people look sane, if you catch my drift), because she has an empty house (my cousins are all married with children -- this is on my mother's side) and would take me in with my cats rent-free for a few months. Problem is it's a small town, and so I have to assume my job-prospects would be horrible.

I have an acquaintance I could move in with but she's allergic to cats so I'd have to find new homes for cats I've bonded with for the past 15 years which isn't going to happen. So it looks like I may have to move in with my crazy aunt who lives out of state (I'd have to borrow money to move there too, and would have no income upon arrival either).

So I really don't know what to do at this point. My state's resources are fairly limited -- they like to help single mothers and families with children, but if you're a single adult, you're pretty much screwed out of benefits aside from unemployment. There are nonprofit agencies who hold rent lotteries but the effin caveat is that you have to have an eviction notice to enter those rent lotteries, and then you're not guaranteed rent b/c it's a lottery and they "draw names."

Oh, and I don't have savings (grad school student for 5 years) or credit cards to live off so don't bother suggesting that.

If I can find 2 part time jobs that seems like my only realistic choice at this time. But I have 4 weeks to do that and come up with January's rent.

Any suggestions?
I've only temped once. The guy didn't like me after one day and let me go... last time I heard from the temp agency. So that means after that happened I was temp toast?

I'm looking for working in the Midwest (I'm currently in the Northeast). I was trying to temp for some extra income until I could move to Michigan... I haven't had luck anywhere.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Temp agencies are worthless parasites filled with petty private sector paper shufflers whose greatest high in life is to take a power trip at the expense of the unfortunate souls who darken their doors.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:24 PM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisteph View Post
I had a similar situation. I worked for a temp agency and I remember my supervisor on the job had said, "Have a good weekend I will see you on Monday." Almost 30 minutes after I left work the temp agency called me and told me the assignment was over. No reason given (at least that was from the temp agency). After that they did call me and invited me to a interview but that was the last call from the agency.
This is almost exactly what happened to me last year. I started temping part-time at a law firm in late April, stayed through September 17. As I was leaving for the day (Thursday afternoon), I told the attorney I worked for, "Have a nice evening, see you tomorrow." He replies, "OK, see ya." Three hours later (7:00 p.m. EDT), I get a call from the temp agency rep telling me that it wasn't necessary for me to go back the next day (Friday), because the assignment had "ended." I ask why and all she would say was that he had to give the job to a friend because it was an "emergency situation" and she needed the job ASAP. Even though I was literally miserable there (seriously, this man verbally abused me every chance he got) and it was actually a RELIEF to be gone, I thought it was very s****y the way HE handled it (however, he wasn't the King of Tact), but the fact that the temp agency refused to go any further with the real reason. They said they didn't know why, but I knew better.

Anyway, you mentioned that your temp agency sent you on one interview afterward, so did mine. The following week, they sent me to a part-time accounting position that I didn't get because the interviewer told the temp agency that I "talked too much about non-job related things." Which is a crock because they never gave me the opportunity to say or ask anything.

Suffice to say, not ALL agencies are bad, but the bad severely outweigh the good.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
Temp agencies are worthless parasites filled with petty private sector paper shufflers whose greatest high in life is to take a power trip at the expense of the unfortunate souls who darken their doors.
Tell us how you really feel.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
Hello;
Earlier today 10-2-2014 I tried to send a message in response to KABURKE'S work experiences with temp agencies
back in the mid 1980's. However, and as I understand it, I needed to register here before the message would post.
I had trouble registering at first, but finally did. However, am not sure if the message that I sent actually posted. I
hate this because I put a lot of thought into the message which I know contained lots of "good" info. about my experi-
ences, both good and bad with temp agencies back then in the mid 1980's. If someone can offer me advice on how I
can retrieve the message that I sent I'd really appreciate it. Moderator cut: no email addresses on the open forum

Thanks,
Lamar W.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-02-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
MidwesternMaven, I was just wondering if you'd feel comfortable elaborating on what exactly they were saying about you. Most things are better swept under the rug unless it's really serious like a rumor that you're stealing, or not doing your job at all, or sleeping with somebody. If it's anything sexual in nature, maybe that'll help you get unemployment. Do file a claim anyway, it can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Sometimes it's the bolded.

Also, maybe they don't want to start a new thread when one already exists?

If you notice as well, the ones who usually bump these old threads are new members.
Huh, there used to be a thing at the end of each thread encouraging people to post on old threads. Apparently it's gone now.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 907 times
Truly believe temp agencies are a waste of time. They hire their workers and sometimes take forever to put you on an assignment and when they do. These companies let u go within weeks and they don't even tell u or the temp agency why u were let go. Its real upsetting to me as well as others. I wont be working with no more temp agencies.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:05 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Unfortunately companies that use temp agencies are often bottom tier dirtbags and they treat their temps like crap because they can. Some of them use temp agencies specifically because they can't hold on to FTE's and there is high turnover. Temp jobs are a band aid. You need a plan to get a real job or skills that will get you a real job.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:10 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
Temp employment services are one of the worst things to happen to the American worker in the last 30 years. How on earth does it benefit the worker when, because of temp services, jobs that would pay, for example, 20 dollars per hour for workers an employer USED to hire directly, transform into 12 dollar per hour jobs plus a commission of 3 dollars per hour to the temporary services?

If you work through a temp service, you're being screwed. I realize circumstances might prevent you from doing so, but if you can, do yourself a favor and avoid them.

If enough of us stop using temp services for a long enough time, they'll do exactly what they should: shrivel up and disappear like the life-sucking parasites they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment