Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:05 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,413,475 times

Advertisements

so I'm finishing up my degree and the only thing I have left to do is my internship. My school doesn't help us locate the places that offer them and I have yet to see any medical practices posting for front office/billing internships. I have a list of companies I would like to intern for but I feel like its a huge shot in the dark without knowing if they even do these types internships.

I emailed 2 offices yesterday and so far one has written me back and they don't even do internships.

I'm SO stumped. Everyone I have asked at school has no idea what to tell me other than "knock on doors or email/call offices". that can't be the best I can do. I'm racking my brain. I worked so hard on my resume and cover letter and I feel like it is all going to go to waste .

Any ideas? How do I know which types of practices are more likely to offer internships?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
The offices where I work partner with local colleges and schools to offer internships for Health Information Technology, Medical Assisting, and other clinical careers. We do not offer a formal coding and billing internship, but recently I was contacted by a student who wanted to do an internship for medical billing and coding.

We were happy to set up an internship for her based on her needs. We scheduled around her available hours and she was a wonderful asset and we made an offer of employment before her internship was finished.

I suggest that you find companies that are already familiar with the internship process, even if it is for clinical positions rather than billing/coding. These companies know that interns are an asset to their clinic or office and should be more willing to discuss an internship with you.

Most schools that offer medical assistant training partner with clinics, hospitals and offices so you might contact this type of school to find suggestions.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
Have you tried the American Association of Medical Assistants? Their website is American Association of Medical Assistants - AAMA. They may be able to offer advice or point you in the right direction.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:44 AM

missik-wow great advice! thank you! how do you know which clinics are familiar with the internship process? My school hasn't even offered up THAT advice. It is so frustrating and I feel that I paid them for nothing.

Chilaili-I haven't tried them becaues I'm actually going for billing/coding. Its different from MA as I would not be doing any back office duties. I'm not trained in that.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
missik-wow great advice! thank you! how do you know which clinics are familiar with the internship process? My school hasn't even offered up THAT advice. It is so frustrating and I feel that I paid them for nothing.

Chilaili-I haven't tried them becaues I'm actually going for billing/coding. Its different from MA as I would not be doing any back office duties. I'm not trained in that.
They do both. And don't be too quick to dismiss a potential source of income. It never hurts to ask.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Oh ok, I'll check them out! I would have no problem doing back office. I'm just not trained in it.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Medical coding and billing isn't the same as back office medical assistant. Your internship in coding/billing will be much different than what the MA's do back office.

Networking can be very helpful here, do you know any RN's, friends who work in clinics or hospitals? One of my friends works in a surgery center and I called her to ask if a coding/billing student could get some hours in her clinic doing an internship.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Medical coding and billing isn't the same as back office medical assistant. Your internship in coding/billing will be much different than what the MA's do back office.

Networking can be very helpful here, do you know any RN's, friends who work in clinics or hospitals? One of my friends works in a surgery center and I called her to ask if a coding/billing student could get some hours in her clinic doing an internship.
Actually I just talked with a friend of a friend this morning who just got hired as a director of admin at the UA and he starts in a couple weeks and may have an opportunity. I have some friends who are nurses but they don't seem to know much about the billing/coding side. could be because they are new in their careers, but I'll ask again. I have to run to work but thank you all again for the advice! I plan to put it to use.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Actually I just talked with a friend of a friend this morning who just got hired as a director of admin at the UA and he starts in a couple weeks and may have an opportunity. I have some friends who are nurses but they don't seem to know much about the billing/coding side. could be because they are new in their careers, but I'll ask again. I have to run to work but thank you all again for the advice! I plan to put it to use.
Even if your friends who are nurses aren't familiar with billing and coding they might be able to introduce you to someone from their billing office, or give you the name of a contact at the company or office where they work.

It is unfortunate that billing/coding schools don't assist in setting up internships the way medical assistant schools do. It's the same way here where I live, MA schools provide internships but coding schools do not.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:21 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,572,861 times
Doing billing/coding is not something nurses are trained in. MAs only get an overview.

Billers are trained on the job and not just in doctor's offices. They work in home health, nursing homes, dialysis companies, pharmaceutical companies-anywhere medical services, supplies, or drugs are dispensed.

Apply to these jobs via their websites. You must be trained on each particular job, regardless of your schooling or experience.

I just got hired without experience or formal training as a medical biller and am being trained on the job. It requires medical terminology, good computer skills, and attention to detail and a strong desire to learn.

You sit all day under duress and that part is very exhausting. You must also be a person who can stay on task without distraction and work independently. It can be very boring at times. There is pressure to bill quotas and do month end close. The pay is low for the amount of work you do and the significance of that work, bringing in thousands of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment