Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 PM

544 posts, read 1,439,772 times

Advertisements

Next week I'm going in person to a few places where I have already filled out and submitted an online app. Taking real resumes. I may not get in to HR, but maybe I'll actually get my resume in front of a real pair of eyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:54 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
going in person to a few places where I have already filled out and submitted an online app.
If it pays by the hour or less than $25,000 annually then a resume is rather silly;
for these and small closely held business then in person is the only way to go.

Quote:
Taking real resumes.
I may not get in to HR, but maybe I'll actually get my resume in front of a real pair of eyes!
What level or type of job are you applying for?

Old 12-08-2013, 08:56 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,477 times
Yeah, good luck with that. I tried "pounding the pavement" right after I graduated college a few years ago and didn't really get anywhere by doing so. IMO, there's no use in fighting the transition to electronic application/resume submissions. I've had far better luck doing that.

Either way, let us know how it goes.

P.s. There are a probably still a lot of blue-collar labor shops that still find this method acceptable, so if that's they type of work you're looking for, you might have better luck.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:15 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
Next week I'm going in person to a few places where I have already filled out and submitted an online app. Taking real resumes.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:59 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Don't know where you are applying. BUT I have been told by people working retail that even when you go to the elctronic kiosk in the stores, Unless you fill out exactly the exact hours they are looking for workers in. The computer automatically pitches your appl. SO I have been told by the workers that the best way to avoid this is to go into the store and face to face with the manager. Otherwise you will get dumped by the computer appl interface.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:33 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
It might depend on the retailer, state laws and their policy.

I don't really see going into an office and asking it's just weird. Just like how no one really goes door to door anymore. Then again I live in an area without street lights and sidewalks so that prevents things. I think in the 20 years I've lived in the same place only a handful of people have gone door to door selling things.

Think about it this way. Email for many organizations is the offical record. So if you email you have proof it was sent. If you get told something by a receptionist they could be lying to you just to get you to leave! Email bypasses receptionists, heck even faxes might.

I'd recommend linkedin and looking at groups. The ability to bypass people and send messages directly is pretty powerful. Find out who the decision makers are and go to them. Besides sometimes if you go to a company they might not really have their HQ there.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
When combined with online applications and networking can be effective though a longer shot. A few of my longtime coworkers here in NYC including a manager got the job this way. Present yourself well, and if you really stand out someone might become interested and an interview granted. If you are looking for work it is best to use a few methods combined.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
It's hard to do that, many companies just point to "it's all online" rather than give paper or take resumes. This even happens at job fairs now. Good luck, I hope it works but be realistic with your expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment