Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 10:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Oh my god this, when I worked at walmart. Everyone ***** and moan all day long, then when I tell them to go to school and get a better job, or even look for better they would tell me "eh this pays the bills" or some such nonsense.
It's more or less being stuck in the comfort zone. Some people don't want more responsibility or a "harder" job and make do on a low wage. I live on 32 hours a week on $10 an hour. It's a pretty bare bones lifestyle but I'm stress and anxiety free at least. I can't imagine a two hour commute to a anxiety inducing cut throat corporate job. People need to learn the difference between wants and needs. I could make 100k a year and still not pay a 100 bucks a month to watch garbage on TV.

Last edited by s1alker; 12-08-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 12:27 PM

15 posts, read 34,926 times
Within my circle, I don't know many people who feel financially comfortable outside of successful entrepreneurs. How can you ever be satisfied trading time and tasks for dollars? Until you've found a way to earn residual income, you're always living paycheck to paycheck--some paychecks are just more.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:31 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAnais View Post
Within my circle, I don't know many people who feel financially comfortable outside of successful entrepreneurs. How can you ever be satisfied trading time and tasks for dollars? Until you've found a way to earn residual income, you're always living paycheck to paycheck--some paychecks are just more.
What are your current sources of income?

Old 12-08-2013, 02:27 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,590,165 times
Sometimes people don't complain because they actually want a change. They just like to complain. It is their normal. They might not even really think about it as complaining so much as letting of a little stress. In customer service this is very common. A lot of those people actually like their jobs but they still have stress and need to release it.

I left a job like that last month. Was a line cook in a restaurant. A job like that has some up sides such as flexible schedules. Some people really can't go anywhere else because they have life issues that prevent them from moving upwards. It is not always as simple as just going to school and getting a better job. I had a lot of help from friends in order to gather myself together and make an effort to change.

I love my new job. It really is much nicer to work with people who can talk about things other than work. Although work does still come up. It is a big part of most of our lives and some people just really have no life outside of it.

Question is OP... if you don;'t like working in that environment why are you not getting out and getting into something better? You can not change other people but you can always change yourself.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:29 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It's more or less being stuck in the comfort zone. Some people don't want more responsibility or a "harder" job and make do on a low wage. I live on 32 hours a week on $10 an hour. It's a pretty bare bones lifestyle but I'm stress and anxiety free at least. I can't imagine a two hour commute to a anxiety inducing cut throat corporate job. People need to learn the difference between wants and needs. I could make 100k a year and still not pay a 100 bucks a month to watch garbage on TV.

That's the way I prefer it. Live below my means so I don't have to work overtime. I managed to snag a $20 per hour blue collar job though so rather that living paycheck to paycheck the difference is money has gradually accumulated in the banking account. I have no interest in making work my career.. I'd rather be a stay at home father to a woman who brought in all the cash to be honest.. that's one thing I enjoy doing... housework, yardwork, landscaping, gardening... but not for a living.. on my terms...

Most people get into a routine and adapt to their circumstances so eventually working long hours becomes second nature to them. Some people can't tolerate stagnation for this reason... they need new situations and experiences to keep things 'fresh' in their life.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,734 times
Many of the new jobs created after the recession were low-paying dead-end jobs. It sucks, but America is not the place it used to be. It used to be that you could work hard and rise up out of a situation. That is not the case now. When you get trapped in the cycle of poverty it is extremely difficult to rise out of it, even working around the clock. The wages are simply too low. It is a form of modern day slavery, whether white or black.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Same with Doctors, Lawyers, CEOs, farmers, police, business owners, real estate agents...

This is a worker's world. Always has been. If you prefer to not be bothered by the "stress" of your job, get a van, become a hippie, and drive around the country giving favors to strange dudes for gas money.
I love this post so much that it should be illegal.

OP, if you don't like your job, start your own business.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:39 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
.... that all your coworkers ever talk about is their next paycheck, how many hours they have to work, etcetera. Their life is centered around work. They constantly ***** about it. One guy was talking about how depressed he gets at Thanksgiving because he hates his family asking about whether he's still working this job.

I can't imagine how nice it would be to work in an environment where everyone has plenty of money and enjoys their work.
The only thing worse than working is...

not working.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I love this post so much that it should be illegal.

OP, if you don't like your job, start your own business.
I have done that, for 17 years, and now that I have a regular job again, I spend a lot more time at home.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:17 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Hope things get better for you soon OP. there is better out there for those who are smart, not lazy, willing to work hard towards a long term plan, and a little luck helps too. Taking some very calculated risks can be good as well.

And not everyone lives paycheck to paycheck. My wife and I have good careers and good incomes. I am grateful she is of a similar mindset as me, good living that isn't beyond our means.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment