Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,905 times

Advertisements

Secured a new job and am stressing over how much notice to give. Ideally, I'd give a couple of weeks notice with my last day being in early January. It's important I'm still working for my current employer through Dec. 31 or I won't qualify for the company's annual contribution to my 401(k), which would be a significant sum. My concern is if I give notice now, I'll be asked to leave just before the year end, so the company won't have to make the contribution. (While I have a good working relationship with my immediate managers, the senior execs are not above making such a move.)

I could wait until the end of the year and lock in those additional funds for my retirement account, but then I'd only be able to give one weeks notice. I'm uneasy about doing that. I don't want to leave on bad terms with my co-workers and managers. Others have advised me to approach this decision more dispassionately and do what's best for me, noting that if the roles were reversed the company would not hesitate to dismiss me without notice. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk41 View Post
...the senior execs are not above making such a move.
I hope they would! That's why they're senior execs.

401k matches are designed to reward long-term employees and to entice employees to stay. So yes, the company would and SHOULD ask you to leave before that cutoff if they know you are planning to resign.

You need to decide what you want to risk more - losing the contribution or ticking off your new employer.

If you are any level of middle manager, it is a professional courtesy to give two weeks' notice. So if you really want that contribution, you should pretend like everything is rosy at your current job and let your new employer know you need to start a week later.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I doubt the company will think about the 401k matching contribution. The real factor is how do they normally handle resignation from people in your department and at your level? Are they normally allowed to give and work the full 2 weeks?

Old 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
You've got your answer; you're just a decent person and feel bad about it. If your company is the type which would dismiss you after you gave notice in order to avoid a lump sum matching payment, you should protect yourself by giving short notice.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 PM

389 posts, read 692,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gronk41 View Post
Secured a new job and am stressing over how much notice to give. Ideally, I'd give a couple of weeks notice with my last day being in early January. It's important I'm still working for my current employer through Dec. 31 or I won't qualify for the company's annual contribution to my 401(k), which would be a significant sum. My concern is if I give notice now, I'll be asked to leave just before the year end, so the company won't have to make the contribution. (While I have a good working relationship with my immediate managers, the senior execs are not above making such a move.)

I could wait until the end of the year and lock in those additional funds for my retirement account, but then I'd only be able to give one weeks notice. I'm uneasy about doing that. I don't want to leave on bad terms with my co-workers and managers. Others have advised me to approach this decision more dispassionately and do what's best for me, noting that if the roles were reversed the company would not hesitate to dismiss me without notice. Any thoughts?
Can you ask your new job if you can start one week later than planned???

Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
due to holidays this should work in your favor, ask to start after the new year

Old 12-17-2013, 09:29 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You've got your answer; you're just a decent person and feel bad about it. If your company is the type which would dismiss you after you gave notice in order to avoid a lump sum matching payment, you should protect yourself by giving short notice.
This.

If it helps and you have the flexibility, perhaps you could devote some time the week prior to Jan 1 to quietly prepare for your departure? Documenting things, cleaning up files, things like that?

Old 12-17-2013, 09:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's not that simple. Your "answer" only considers the $$ aspect.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I am actually starting a new job that wanted me in 2 weeks. They gave me 4 weeks to start, just because I asked.

Why don't you extend your start date, another week?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:40 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Not to ask dumb questions but.... I'm guessing you are fully vested or the contribution is not on a vesting schedule? And is it paid out right on the 1st of the new year? I also have an annual contribution in addition to my match. But the annual contribution is based on the company performance, so the numbers aren't fully calculated until they start closing the books (i.e. we usually don't see that contribution until March/April).

Assuming all you have to do is stay until the 1st. Is renegotiating the start date not a feasible option? It seems like that's the best case scenario. Aside from that - it looks to be a very personal decision based on how much money you're potentially leaving on the table as well as the impression you may have on your colleagues by giving a short notice (and there's a big difference between 'sticking it' to upper management who will not be impacted at all vs. your team who most likely aren't the one's that will decide to walk you out the door as soon as you give notice).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment