Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,625 times

Advertisements

I recently got out of the Army, where I was stationed in Bamberg, Germany. The location was great but I didn't really enjoy being in the Army. It just wasn't challenging enough and I got bored. My greatest fear in life is being unchallenged and underutilized.

I want a job where I come home and still have my work on my mind. I've been thinking about getting a PhD in Biomedical Engineering or an Occupational Therapy Doctorate, OTD. I already have a BS in psychobiology, an MBA, and an MS in Applied Clinical Nutrition.

I am looking for something that uses my background. I can't be an RD because of state laws with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (a corrupt lobbyist POS with Coca-Cola, Pepsi, and Monsanto as sponsors). I really don't know what to do though.

I work for the Department of the Army as a GS employee but don't make great money and work as an admin weany. I'm really bored with my current job and would love to have a little more to show for my 8 hours of work than a pile of papers and computer blips.

I've posted my resume (in a kinda cool graphic format you might like) for more info about my background and experience. It also has my contact info if you have any job offers!

Any ideas?

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: Removed image with personal data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Not a good idea to post your cell phone and email address on a public forum.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:29 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
You need to get your contact info off of the internet ASAP. If you want comments on your resume format and content, you can remove or replace any identifying information. This is for your protection and safety.

You'll want to use a traditional format for your resume. You'll also want to do targeted resumes and only feature the jobs that relate to your target job.

What type of work do YOU want to do? You went through the trouble of getting all those degrees. What were you intentions with each one of them.

I would suggest you target business and finance with your MBA. Many places have special veteran programs like: https://www.wellsfargo.com/careers/military-veterans

Of course, you'll have to be open to moving.

Last edited by charlygal; 12-19-2013 at 01:45 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
My first bit of advice is to seriously revamp that resume, lol, sorry!

Are you positive you will get work with that PhD?

Lots of degrees from various places but no real obvious career direction. Maybe natural nutrition consulting? Or do you want to work for someone?

Old 12-19-2013, 01:41 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,612,432 times
I'm not a resume expert, but yours is very confusing and I'm not sure what to look at first. All the color and stating your personality type is distracting from your skills.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,940 times
Honestly, if you are bored, my advice is to just stay put. Reading that resume is going to scare off a hiring manager. It indicates that you are a bit scattered - multiple degrees that have no relation to each other (or your jobs), short term work, the only real stability is 4 years in the military. I wouldn't waste more money with yet another degree, you already have 3!!!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I would suggest you target business and finance with your MBA.
You do realize that not everyone has a Business or Finance major when they do their MBA, right? One can very well major in operations, marketing, technology with an MBA.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Travis, please don't be offended but your resume is not good.

In my role at work I see lots of resumes and the value of a resume is ALWAYS to help me decide if there is anything on the resume that a) would want me to talk with the candidate more to get a sense for how good a fit they would be in our organization OR b) scare the pants off me that the candidate has too many negatives to bother with even if they have otherwise good education / experience. The whole idea of trying use a timeline is NOT a good idea as it largely fails on both accounts -- especially when you have done lots of different things the impression is not one of "competence" but a very disjointed series of things that don't make much sense.

I have no idea if Lebanon Valley College is great / average / poor but from the website it seems like a real school that really does have a Department of Psychology with an actual subpage for the psychobiology major where is lists things like medicine, pharmacology, veterinary science and genetics as possible career fields -- I would suggest focusing on those areas.

Things get weirder when I look at the rest of your resume. I have nothing against someone that has an MBA from Phoenix University BUT the kinds of roles that would spring to mind do not follow from the suggestions of the LVC undergrad major that you have. Education that is not focused on career advancement makes it hard to determine what kind of employee you might be...

Further the MS is nutrition is something that worries me too -- on the page at New York Chiropractic College it explictly says this is an online program that is geared toward healthcare practioneers that want to expand their practices by incorporating nutrition to address a myriad of health conditions. This does not seem to describe your situation at all.

Other stuff that really scares me -- you seem to have taken part in developing some kind of screening tool while in the Army in Germany, probably a good accomplishment, but explicty saying it is for folks at risk of "self harm" has a whole lot of scary connotations that would NOT make me want to meet your in person and if I don't do that you will not get hired.

I have seen thousands of resumes and have never had a favorable impression of one that incluides things like personality scales. Not helpful. If the organization cares about that' they will have candidates take a screening in a controlled setting.

Finally the last weird factor is that you appear to a man and are listed as a lacation consultant. That is not a traditional role served by any male in the US. Don't need to say more...

Last edited by chet everett; 12-19-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 03:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
You do realize that not everyone has a Business or Finance major when they do their MBA, right? One can very well major in operations, marketing, technology with an MBA.
An MBA is a Masters of Business Administration. Yes, it can be operations, marketing, tech, even healthcare. But it's all approached from a business standpoint. Finance is business also. So are all the other fields you mentioned.

I'm taking the approach of the shortest distance between two points (from unemployed/boring job to employed/great job) is a straight line. An MBA's "straight line" is something business or finance related.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM

97 posts, read 146,911 times
Male Lactation counselor???? I am speech-language pathologist and feeding disorders/lactation fall within my bailiwick. As a man I would never think to pursue a career in working with new mothers and breast feeding. That is creepy as all hell.
I hope there is a back story to this, such as your wife has had difficulty with breastfeeding and you wanted to be educated on helping your wife/child feed naturally.
Go to a traditional resume. Also, make various versions of your resume for varied positions you apply for. I am a school based speech pathologist and I have a resume that address this work setting. I also have a modified resume for working with the adult population/hospital based setting for when I do Per Diem work.
Also get rid of all of the unrelated stuff. I am also am an active EMT, worked for the NYPD as a police officer for a few years, and I enjoy skiing, long walks on the beach, and leggy women, but I don't put this unrelated "stuff" on my resume.
Good luck with your future endeavors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment