Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:56 PM

n/a posts

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
With the new thing of not hiring umemployed people which creates long term unemployed people, a lot of people are essentially screwed ? Do you ever feel like jus ending it all since your family sees you as a burden or because soon you'd have no place to live? I wonder if the suicide rates are higher , then again the news never covers it
yes. yes I have felt like killing myself because of this. yes, a million times yes...

Old 12-22-2013, 05:03 PM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
No, but I wish I'd listened to my husband about accepting a PT job that pays less, after gas, than I was making sitting at home on unemployment.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:06 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
With the new thing of not hiring umemployed people which creates long term unemployed people, a lot of people are essentially screwed ? Do you ever feel like jus ending it all since your family sees you as a burden or because soon you'd have no place to live? I wonder if the suicide rates are higher , then again the news never covers it
I think most of the people who are so melodramatic have held middle class or higher jobs traditionally.

People who are working class and minimum wage are somewhat used to living hand to mouth and really, REALLY scraping by. Depending on handouts, the church, government, loans crashing on couches. It wouldn't be all that rock bottom for them while someone who is used to having a comfortable living, and being able to go to bars and tell people where they live and what they do, it's embarrassing.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:08 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,212 times
Yes, I contemplated it for a couple of years when I was both unemployed and recently divorced. I now have a career job, but if I lost it, I fear I'd be unemployable, and therefore I might very well do it. When I was unemployed, I looked at career change, more schooling, starting a business, etc. None of it panned out and I'm still in the same career. Thats fine, as I'm finally paid what I'm worth, but have almost no hope at a good retirement with all the lost years of income. So yeah, if for some unforeseen reason I lose this job without having another lined up, its over.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Yes, I contemplated it for a couple of years when I was both unemployed and recently divorced. I now have a career job, but if I lost it, I fear I'd be unemployable, and therefore I might very well do it. When I was unemployed, I looked at career change, more schooling, starting a business, etc. None of it panned out and I'm still in the same career. Thats fine, as I'm finally paid what I'm worth, but have almost no hope at a good retirement with all the lost years of income. So yeah, if for some unforeseen reason I lose this job without having another lined up, its over.
You're planning suicide as a back up plan in case you lose your job?!?!?!?! This makes me sad.

This entire thread is one of the Top 10 most depressing things I've ever read, it's right up there with Blood Meridian. Damn.

I only recently graduated from college, so I'm probably still a total idiot, but it's always possible for better days to be ahead. That's why I've never seriously considered killing myself. I'm always like "What if I kill myself today, but I was supposed to [win the lotto, meet my soul mate, adopt a puppy] next week?!?"

One thing I do take away from these threads is that I should be saving a lot for emergencies. So that's what I did with almost the entirety of my first paycheck. I live off of gumbo, jambalaya, and sandwiches.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:50 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,561,719 times
Suicide is not a "option" at all. I had a friend who was in law enforcement making $60k a year with overtime and all of a sudden his job was cut after a decade of service.
He didn't have the burden of a family since he is Single but has a mortgage, credit card bills, etc.

It took him 2 years to be gainfully employed but he went into a massive depressive mood. He thankfully while employed "socked" more than 10% of his income away every paycheck into Savings & stock mutual funds which cushioned his financial blow after losing his job.

Always plan for the worst and hope for the best! Take 10% of your paycheck/ Salary and sock it away first before you pay any other bills!
Most people need about 6-8 months worth of savings for "emergencies"! You do not need that "new" car" or "over priced" house/ condo or a even a X-Box!

Save while you are young!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
So you spend $851 of taxpayers' money each month on your $40,000 worth women's clothes, $40,000 worth of bikes, $7,000 gaming PC then ask your parents for money to pay your property taxes and bills?

You are also 45 years old and unemployed?
I can spend my SSDI on whatever I want, and I bought most of my bikes from work money and unemployment checks. $403 weekly unemployment checks for 93 weeks was a lot. I probably splurged in 5 bmx bikes on UI.

My Parent's are the ones who own the house so they pay all the bills and property taxes. I just pay for internet. But I take care of my mom and drive her around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Suicide shouldn't be an option. No employer is worth your life. You're not alone out there. Long term unemployed Americans are finding work all the time. Sometimes, it just take a little more patience than people are prepared to give. Even still, if you have a warm place to sleep at night and food, you're doing better than millions of people around the world. That in of itself is worth something.

Someone is discussing a very heavy issue, and you use that as a launching pad to rub your SSDI in everyone's face? Are you serious?
********* andywire... I'm not rubbing it in. She should try to get some gov aid just like it helps me. So I'm just an example of a lucky guy on Gov aid, even though I'm very unlucky with work.

L'Artiste -- the problem with your JOBHUNT is that there aren't many jobs in marketing in New Orleans. Do a monster.com search between New Orleans and Chicago and Chicago has over 220 marketing related jobs whereas New Orleans has only 8 jobs. So I think what you have to do is get any job out there in N.O. and save money for a move to another city. Then look for a marketing job NATIONWIDE. You probably don't have many possessions to tie you down, unlike me. Has your past jobhunt only been for the New Orleans area?

Old 12-22-2013, 05:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
No, never considered it during my protracted period of no work, though I joked that it might not be wise to leave me in a room with sharp objects. I know that many long-term unemployed have done it. That includes some who used to own their business and some who became disabled.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I can spend my SSDI on whatever I want, and I bought most of my bikes from work money and unemployment checks. $403 weekly unemployment checks for 93 weeks was a lot. I probably splurged in 5 bmx bikes on UI.

My Parent's are the ones who own the house so they pay all the bills and property taxes. I just pay for internet. But I take care of my mom and drive her around.

********* andywire... I'm not rubbing it in. She should try to get some gov aid just like it helps me. So I'm just an example of a lucky guy on Gov aid, even though I'm very unlucky with work.

L'Artiste -- the problem with your JOBHUNT is that there aren't many jobs in marketing in New Orleans. Do a monster.com search between New Orleans and Chicago and Chicago has over 220 marketing related jobs whereas New Orleans has only 8 jobs. So I think what you have to do is get any job out there in N.O. and save money for a move to another city. Then look for a marketing job NATIONWIDE. You probably don't have many possessions to tie you down, unlike me. Has your past jobhunt only been for the New Orleans area?
$403 x 93 = $37,479 You spent over $37,000 on BMX bikes while unemployed?

And you still live with your parents at age 45?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:06 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I remember you. Good to see you're doing well brother. I'm very happy for you and I'm sure a lot of others on this board are with me.

Congrats on the new gig!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment