Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

I'm an at will employee and was hired on full time at curaçao (it's a big box retail store like best buy) in late may 2013. I have heard that they might make me part time because of my performance (sales and what not). What are my options and what can I do as I'm an only parent that works and the bread winner if you will. My son is 2, and I work in the state of California if this helps any.

Thank you so much in advance, I hope to get answers soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessev88 View Post
make me part time because of my performance (sales
You have no case.

P.S.
Curacao is not like Best Buy
Toshiba 32L1300U is $320 at Curacao and $230 at Best Buy. It is a highlighted item on the Curacao website.
Yelp review: "This place gets negative stars for me. I'm tired of companies taking advantage of people who don't know about credit, and trust the hand of the Hispanic so called friend."

Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
Well, maybe get your 'plan B' ready. What did you do before May 2013? Keep eye open for second job possibilities, etc. Also see if you may be eligible for part-time unemployment - or find out what those rules are, so you'll know. Also keep open and trying to always do the best job possible where you are. Some things are outside of your control, but you can always work on what is within your control. And, current employer may be a future reference - so keep that in mind. Good luck to you!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Sorry this is happening to you. You need to look for another job with a company that has long term growth possibilities.

Your employer is not doing anything illegal by dropping your hours. Since you have a child, look for admin work in a nice office. Do you have basic computer skills? Word, Excel, PowerPoint? If not, look for free classes in your area. You need a long term plan to build stability for you and your son.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
My suggestion is to start thinking about ways you can eventually start your own business. You can't fire yourself. The hard part is finding something that you're good at and something that you can do to provide a sustainable living standard. I simultaneously recommend taking care of your finances and living very frugally first. When you live frugally, you have less to worry about.

Short of that, in the meantime, I'd find a second source of income. Another part-time job, I reckon.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Apply at other big box retail stores as well as supermarkets. If they ask why you are leaving the current position, state that you want full-time work and your current position might be changing many employees from full-time to part-time. Do NOT state this is because of your low sales. Don't say anything about having a child. Also apply at nearby hotel chains and hospitals.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:46 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
A lot of chain stores, restaurants, even some manufacturing plants, are changing people to part time because if they get them down to 28 hours or below, they are exempt from having to offer health care which the Obamacare regulations require. Some of those did provide a minimum health care package, but now are having to switch to policies that cost twice or more as much.

A lot of lower paid jobs, are going to be switched to part time for this reason, but many of them will be giving other reasons, as they don't want to admit it is due to the cost of health insurance. Others are bragging about it.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMartin4 View Post
Shh. People don't like common sense around here.
Don't be rude. That's not true. I think more people should open their own businesses. However, it's clear that it takes a certain personality to deal with all that comes from being entrepreneurial.

Truth is many people don't have the savvy, risk tolerance, mental acumen, and aggressiveness that's needed with having your own business. I've owned a business before and I'm currently trying to build up a new enterprise. I know what it takes. I also know that some people just don't have it in them.

Some people are owners and some people are workers.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
A lot of retail stores cut back on hours right after the holidays...I was at Target the day before Christmas and overheard two cashiers talking about the next week's schedule...one had been scheduled four hours, and the other had ten hours, but eight of those hours were outside of her availability. I remember those times, working retail in stores that had lots of employees. I had to quit working jobs like that once I moved out of my parents' house and had to pay my own bills, because I couldn't manage on 35 hours one week and 5 hours the next four weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment