Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times

Advertisements

Are you looking at minor leagues and colleges as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 PM

170 posts, read 373,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Go get another internship. Just because you are no longer in school doesn't mean you can't get internships.
It usually does. It's rare that I find an internship that isn't explicitly for current students. Even then, you're at a big disadvantage as a recent grad. Being an unemployed grad automatically looks bad. If you aren't weeded out on that fact alone, then you'll be weeded out on the fact that an enthusiastic sophomore who just was accepted into his major looks far more worthy of an opportunity to prove himself.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Sports management... while I commend you completing a degree, perhaps one with a little bit of a job market would have made more sense. I dont understand why sports management is a bachelors anyhow, seems a general business management degree then a masters in sm would be better.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 AM

170 posts, read 373,276 times
This is the new economy we live in. Since the recession, American businesses leaned up, figured out how to do more with less, and now don't need many American workers for the same productivity. Unless you're a perfect person (3.5+ GPA, multiple internships, perfect credit, good-looking, etc.), you are of no use in the working world. Your job can be done by foreigners on HB1 Visas, by a machine, or remotely by a worker in a low-wage country. If I were you, I would give up on the job search. Might as well. Every day that you're unemployed, your potential to ever be employed gets exponentially worse. Many companies do not hire unemployed people, period.

Hit the bottle, is my advice.

Join the ranks of the permanently unemployed class. I doubt that I will be alive in a few years. If I don't have a job by mid-2014, I might end it. No point of living when you're worthless to society.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:29 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
This is the new economy we live in. Since the recession, American businesses leaned up, figured out how to do more with less, and now don't need many American workers for the same productivity. Unless you're a perfect person (3.5+ GPA, multiple internships, perfect credit, good-looking, etc.), you are of no use in the working world. Your job can be done by foreigners on HB1 Visas, by a machine, or remotely by a worker in a low-wage country. If I were you, I would give up on the job search. Might as well. Every day that you're unemployed, your potential to ever be employed gets exponentially worse. Many companies do not hire unemployed people, period.

Hit the bottle, is my advice.

Join the ranks of the permanently unemployed class. I doubt that I will be alive in a few years. If I don't have a job by mid-2014, I might end it. No point of living when you're worthless to society.
My advice, seek some mental health help. There IS more to life than work.

Last edited by RDH35; 01-01-2014 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
It usually does. It's rare that I find an internship that isn't explicitly for current students. Even then, you're at a big disadvantage as a recent grad. Being an unemployed grad automatically looks bad. If you aren't weeded out on that fact alone, then you'll be weeded out on the fact that an enthusiastic sophomore who just was accepted into his major looks far more worthy of an opportunity to prove himself.

Actually the places I've been grads have the advantage, they can intern full time +. And almost all internships are paid now due to recent court cases. Not a lot, but they're paid.

Some places they're called fellows, not interns, but it is the same.

We'd never have touched a sophomore.

They reality now is, if you're internships from undergrad didn't open doors for you, and you're not connected, you need to do the leg work and make your own connections and network network network. In the mean time, I'd (personally) get myself to a temp service (Ranstad, etc) and get a general admin temping gig and work my but off at it (and network while there).

Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
If I was facing such a bleak outlook like Sound, I would hitchhike up to Washington and catch a boat to Alaska. From there I would just disappear and gold mine or live off of the woods. Better than ending it because the Corporate Universe didnt assimilate you.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:34 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,185 times
OP what I would recommend is take an internships, yes many require you to be in school but many do not-those internships do exists. If that internships is underpaid or not paid then you must pair it with some sort of part time paid work- usually fast food/retail. Be willing to work jobs that are not related to your major- and yes I know it is tough, you spend 4 year studying X and you find yourself working in Y-suck it up, something is better than nothing. Further apply for jobs that don't require a specific degree but rather just a degree-these are a bit of a pain to find but they are out there.

The bottomline is be willing to work outside your comfort area, be willing to work underpaid and if nesscary unpaid-at this point experience is everything. Also you are never to proud to hit up friends, relatives, that one guy you talked to in 5th grade and never again for work.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 AM

993 posts, read 1,561,026 times
No.

In fact, most of the recent college grads (graduated within the last three years) with whom I'm friendly are working. Are all of them in their dream career fields? No. But there are a good number who are. From them I can tell you that getting a good job is highly based on three factors:

1) Networking. People always say that your degree matters because certain fields have a higher demand for workers than others, and that's true. But having connections in the field in which you want to work goes a long way.

2) Credentials. The people in my circle of friends who've continued their studies past undergrad are the ones who've had the most ease in finding work. Also, the people who've had practical experience or exposure in their chosen field, like through internships. Both of those will also help you increase your network.

3) Location. That one's pretty obvious.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:36 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
I just hear so many stories of college grads unable to find jobs. Me myself , been out a few months and only 2 interviews with over 100 apps. I dont understand how if almost every job requires experience , and most grads have minimal experience , what are we supposed to do..its like a never ending vacuum.

RANT OVER

I guess it all depends on your field of study, the area of the country you're in and the school you graduated from

My nephew in the south graduated in May with an EE degree and got a job fairly quickly earning about $65k.

If you're not in the south, didn't attend The Citadel and didn't study electrical engineering, you may be having a different experience- I don't think you can generalize about all "recent college grads".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment