Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:42 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times

Advertisements

Absoutely, he (not "we") should definitely contact the hiring manager directly. I would suggest a brief, to-the-point email stating succinctly what you have stated here; the main points to get across are the reasons for his interest and the reason he is willing to work in either location although he wasn't before. He really has nothing to lose by doing this, and as long as he handled things professionally before, they might be willing to consider him again. He should close by requesting a meeting to get reacquainted and discuss the position and his qualifcations for it (esp if he's done anything especially noteworthy in the past 6 months).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
As this thread isn't specific to Northern Virginia, I'm moving it to the Work and Employment sub-forum.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Tell him to apply for it. Explain the details in a few sentences in a cover letter.

I turned down a position once. And went back to the company later that year to discuss another opening and they were all set to extend an offer to me a 2nd time.

But during the 2 weeks that it took for them to get the 2nd offer together, I accepted something else. They were shocked when I did it to them a 2nd time. I don't think they'll want to deal with me again. Can't blame them, really.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
I'd just call the hiring manager and make his pitch.
Since he was so recently interviewed -- and they thought he was worth hiring -- given that he was offered a position before -- they might be glad he's once again interested. Or could think negatively of the fact that he declined the previous offer. But he'll never know if he doesn't go for it.

As you've said he has a job. So he's got nothing to lose. If anything he may have an "in." Because if they want to hired quickly he's already been vetted. They could hire him faster than a newbie.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerf Herder View Post
the employer might be going "Well well well, look who's come crawling back"
Right, he "might" offer the job to him again if he literally crawls back in through the dog door like what Mr. Burns did to Homer.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:42 PM

247 posts, read 510,773 times
Thank you, everyone! He left a message for the hiring manager on Friday. Hoping he hears back soon!

Old 01-06-2014, 11:07 PM

Ok, so the hiring manager emailed today. She remembered him immediately. She wants to know why he is leaving his current job. Since he can't really say "my manager sucks," what should he say? He really wants to work in the office, and loves that there are a lot of diagnostics involved... it's close to where we live... how should he spin this so it sounds good??

Thanks!
SD

Old 01-07-2014, 01:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
You already said it...he'd like to do more diagnostics.

I don't think I'd mention the shorter commute. The hiring manager won't care about that, AND could think, "Oh, you turned us down before, and not you only want the job because it's a closer commute for YOU."

IF it comes up as part of conversation, then he could say, "oh yes I do live very close...)

Old 01-07-2014, 08:01 AM

Awesome, thanks! I think he did a pretty good job explaining it (he sent me the email this morning). Thanks so much for your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment