Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 04:53 PM

31 posts, read 31,692 times

Advertisements

I’m a 28 year old who graduated with an History M.A. in December of 2011, and have been unemployed for the last 10 months. I stopped searching for a new job after getting discouraged and depressed but I am determined to work again.

This 10 month period of unemployment was not entirely wasted. For the past year, I’ve been making most of my income as a test subject in clinical research units and as a small time online merchant. I’ve also begun writing a novel. I’ve made 40k this last year and managed to pay off my student loans. I now have a little less than 14k in savings now and no debts.

I had a work from home SEO job for a few months but was laid off from this position back in February. The company was badly mismanaged, lacked consistent workloads, and I had little contact with any managers when in need of guidance.

With the a new year ahead, I’m trying to stay positive about my situation but ultimately I need to find a steady job to feel better about myself. I would really like to work as a technical writer, copywriter, or editor. I am also looking into teaching at community colleges.

So right now I'm trying to edit my resume but I really don’t know how to explain the last ten months. Like I said, I didn’t just sit around and do absolutely nothing but saying you were a test subject for medical research doesn’t sound good at all. Should I be totally honest? How should I explain myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 05:08 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerb_Seeker View Post

So right now I'm trying to edit my resume but I really don’t know how to explain the last ten months. Like I said, I didn’t just sit around and do absolutely nothing but saying you were a test subject for medical research doesn’t sound good at all. Should I be totally honest? How should I explain myself?
You can place online merchant and Test subject on a resume? If you can and you are comfortable with it then I would, but probably not in that language.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:16 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
I would leave out the "test subject" part. Employers are only interested in business and job skills. The online merchant and writer positions shows relevant work, depending on where you are applying. People put self-employment positions all the time.

My father was self-employed for most of his life in the equipment rental business. If he ever bothered to get a job, he would put that experience in his resume.

Bottom line is you WERE WORKING!

Old 01-04-2014, 05:31 PM

170 posts, read 373,351 times
A better question is, Why do you need to explain the last ten months? Why is interviewing for a job like being on a witness stand, like showing up before Almighty God and giving an account of how you've lived your life? All that should matter is that you're eager to take the job and have demonstrated that you have the skills it requires. If you took 10 months off work to travel the world or raise a kid or because you were going through a period of depression, none of that should bar you from being allowed to re-enter to workforce as long as you're ready, willing and able to perform jobs that exist.

Last edited by TheSoundOfMuzak; 01-04-2014 at 05:41 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Jerb Seeker,

First of all, I think you've done very well during your period of "unemployment."

Secondly, the good news is that 10 months really isn't that long in the current job market. I don't say that to trivialize your frustration and feelings of discouragement, but because I can totally relate. Since moving to a new city in 2011 for my SO's job, I've only been able to secure part-time or temp work, and I have a master's as well. I'm impressed with what you've managed to accomplish and earn (can you give me some tips? ).

I agree with MJ7. I would certainly include the test subject and online merchant positions on your resume if they're relevant in any way to other positions you apply to. Just change the job titles a little (it's perfectly okay to do that as long as you don't embellish).

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 01-04-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM

31 posts, read 31,692 times
Thanks for the feedback guys. As far as MJ's suggestion, I suppose I could say something like "independent consultant" and "participated in medical research support activities." But it seems too vague and at the end of the day, I can't spin it in a positive way without resorting to outright lies. It is essentially renting your body for medical research.

newdixiegirl, I would gladly share some thoughts on clinical research and other ways to earn money if you are interested. Send me a pm any time.

Last edited by Jerb_Seeker; 01-04-2014 at 08:05 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Test subject is a step up from blood (or sperm) donor. It may be seen as desperation. I'd leave it out. For the work you are looking for, taking time off to write a book looks much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment