Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 AM

336 posts, read 378,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanSF View Post
These effing employers though, you don't move up when you work for them anymore, you just stay flat. Once you come in at a certain wage, it is your wage.
Unless you have the right degree from the right school, you have a slim chance of getting a good wage out of college, with minimal experience. To get a good wage, one typically must have at least several years of recent experience in a relevant field.

A good entry level job is a job that will reward performance with greater responsibility (even if not a greater wage). Stop worrying about the starting wage and start worrying about adding recent experience in a relevant field to your resume. You don't have to list the wage on your resume, but, to get that better paying job at another employer, your resume must show relevant experience.

The longer you wait, the more difficult it will become to find employment. Hiring officials are risk adverse and they assume the worst about candidates without a recent work history. For all they know, your recent work history is blank because you cannot hold a job and/or were fired repeatedly and did not want them to know about it. A hiring official will almost always choose a lesser educated individual that has demonstrated the ability to hold a job over a much better educated individual that has not.

Last edited by VAGeek; 01-12-2014 at 05:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 05:39 AM

8,053 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Steps;
1) Go to any job posting board.
2) Look at job salaries.
3) Identify what types of jobs pay well and interest you.
4) Take the necessary steps to educate yourself in order to qualify for those jobs.
5) Take an entry level job in the field.
6) Move up.

I would suggest learning SQL database query. It is used in many research and reporting fields and des not require more formal education. You study, you pass the tests and you have a useful skill employers will pay for.

I empathize with your plight. I am in the Nashville area and for the most part general wages are low except for specialized/educated/experienced workers. The average Joe just graduating from college with no experience is looking at 12 to 16 dollars an hour.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 AM

10 posts, read 14,424 times
you guys are missing the point...

the entire state of California is a high cost of living area. There is no refuge anywhere.

the main difference now is that there is no Tier 1 employer like there was before... which is the real killer.

You cannot sacrifice 6-9 years hustling for an unknown Tier 3-4 employer because at the end of the road, you might get NOTHING.

I don't know where you guys get the idea that my pay climbs with experience, because all I see is that it flat lines unless you work at a employer that lets you climb. Most places nowadays DONT LET YOU CLIMB.

If Coca Cola was hiring, I'd go work for them for peanuts in an effort to climb to VP.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM

473 posts, read 796,629 times
So is thread about seeking real advice? Or just complaining about how we wish the world were different?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM

I forgot to mention,

I also run my own hedge fund I started out of college. Wheres that bank executive douchebag?

Mad skillz, trading skillz. You guys thought I was a lazy bum??

I realized in 2009 that my generation was fcked and built my own firm the past 4 years as a "hedge" to this miserable job market.

I still work for other people, I sneak into their companies undetected. But there are no opportunities there, so I bail after a while.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85rx-7gsl-se View Post
So is thread about seeking real advice? Or just complaining about how we wish the world were different?
wishing the world was different.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:

the entire state of California is a high cost of living area. There is no refuge anywhere.

the main difference now is that there is no Tier 1 employer like there was before... which is the real killer.

You cannot sacrifice 6-9 years hustling for an unknown Tier 3-4 employer because at the end of the road, you might get NOTHING.

I don't know where you guys get the idea that my pay climbs with experience, because all I see is that it flat lines unless you work at a employer that lets you climb. Most places nowadays DONT LET YOU CLIMB.

If Coca Cola was hiring, I'd go work for them for peanuts in an effort to climb to VP.
Well than I guess you can sacrifice 6-9 years working to survive waiting for that perfect job and ending up with nothing.

By the way what makes you think you can get hired at Coca Cola? Like most companies they like people who want to work, not someone who wants to start in the middle and be handed everything.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 AM

336 posts, read 378,048 times
Quote:

the main difference now is that there is no Tier 1 employer like there was before...
How are you living now? Living with your parents on a short-term basis might be an option. Moving is always an option.

Quote:
One sure-fire way to get nothing is to remain unemployed. Every month you remain unemployed reduces your chance of getting the career that you want down the road.

Highly visible companies like Coca Cola receive large numbers of applications in response to their job announcements. Such companies receive plenty of applications from highly educated individuals with relevant experience, so they have no need to hire those without relevant experience. Without years of relevant experience, one of these "tier 1" companies is not likely to hire you.

Quote:
No one is saying that you must remain at the same employer during your entire career. "Job hopping" is how many people get ahead. You work at one employer for 12 months, or longer if they will continue to let you take on new responsibilities. Then you use that experience to apply to a better job, to acquire additional experience. Work that job for 12 months, or longer if they continue to let you take on new responsibilities. Rinse and repeat, just be sure to lock in the new job before you quit the old one.

Last edited by VAGeek; 01-12-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I forgot to mention,

I also run my own hedge fund I started out of college. Wheres that bank executive douchebag?

Mad skillz, trading skillz. You guys thought I was a lazy bum??

I realized in 2009 that my generation was fcked and built my own firm the past 4 years as a "hedge" to this miserable job market.

I still work for other people, I sneak into their companies undetected. But there are no opportunities there, so I bail after a while.
well if you have your own hedge fund that is 4+ years old, than why do you need a job? I have a friend who started a hedge fund and did not have time or need for a regular job within 6 months.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I am still climbing in assets under management. Hoping to hedge myself. Asset Management is not a career, it is a life style. The risk management goes beyond just investing. You do it in your life. I hedge myself in life all the time. Multiple girl friends, (unless I tie the knot), multiple career trajectories, etc.

You should see the look on some of the CEOs/senior VP faces when they pay me $13/hr, and then get blindsided with a request for 10 million for my firm. I usually do it after 3-4 months, so just as they really like me, they suddenly have to fire me for conflict of interest.

www.Melikova.com wheres that bank executive? Got 500k pal??? Mr. know it all.. you wanna laugh at my college? Fcker you cant even buy a house in Santa Cruz. Come get some!!!!
$10 million? And you are looking for a job? Just 1 guy putting in $10 million generates $200K a year for your firm, unless of course you have not raised any money, which is my guess otherwise you would not worry about a $13-18 an hour job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment