Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times

Advertisements

I have struck up a friendship with a Human Resources Director and he is giving me lots of interesting things to think about regarding the world of employment.

This HR Director is in his 50s and has been in Human Resources most of his career and has seen it all for a number of highly respected large employers where HR is quite a bit of influence and is very active in working on employee relations issues.

I asked him about employees who are struggling with their performance and are put on some type of formal warning. (Oral warning, written warning, performance improvement plan) I was curious if most of them fight back and argue their performance is not a problem, or do they passively just sit there and accept the criticism. He said that most employees will not admit they are under performing and will fight their manager tooth and nail and in many cases try to move their fight to their bosses boss. In a sense, if they are going to go down, they will go down fighting.

Have you been put on some type of performance warning in the past? If so, did you argue or just take it? (if you were convinced you were doing a good job)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM

113 posts, read 152,352 times
I have not.

But, there is another choice you're not offering.

You could argue it.

Just take it.

or

Improve your performance, even if you thought you were doing a good choice.

Fighting won't help and will just hasten your road out.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Have you been put on some type of performance warning in the past? If so, did you argue or just take it? (if you were convinced you were doing a good job)
How about you? You've said several times that you've been fired "many times" during your working years so I'd assume this would be something you'd have first hand knowledge of.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Any organization where HR is "influential" is not "respected".

Your HR director "friend" is just sitting around bull****ting up reasons to justify his leach-like existence.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
I’m a theater director and have found that the most difficult actors are usually the least talented. I’m pretty sure it applies to other fields as well.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 PM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I’m a theater director and have found that the most difficult actors are usually the least talented. I’m pretty sure it applies to other fields as well.
Very interesting...and I agree with it applying to other fields.

From my perspective, when I get a performance review, it's a mix of good things and things I could improve. I don't usually agree with him but hey, HE'S the boss! Now, I know I do a good job. However, I also know that I'm not perfect, a bit quirky and sometimes I rub people the wrong way. I know it's my approach so I know I have to work on it. Of course, I do dislike when he says "I know I don't communicate very well so this is why YOU'RE getting a lower mark" but again, I just ask what I can do to meet his expectations and then try my best to do what he says. Afterall, I don't want to get canned because I'm arguing with him...that's foolish. However, I also don't let him get away with incorrect assumptions. If I have to correct something, I make it quick and get back to the point of "how I can improve".

It's been a hard lesson for me over the years because I take my job seriously and work hard at being good. But, I suppose, as with so many things, there are trade-offs...I might be good at my job, but I get irritated with certain personality types...dangit if one of those isn't my boss!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Never been on a PIP - but have put people on it.

If done correctly, there should be no room for argument really. Most likely there should already have been attempts to correct the issue or warnings. So if does get to a PIP, there should be documentation etc. on what led to the PIP.

And really, if you're at that point, its no longer about if they agree on the issue, but whether or not they understand the reasoning behind the action, the expectations moving forward, and what further action may take place if no change occurs. Any arguing or debating should have been done already.

Not saying they still can't argue it, but it would most likely not be very effective (or look very good).

Again, this is if the process was handled correctly.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,780 times
The question below is a good one. So I will respond:

Yes, I have been fired quite a few times and in most cases I went down fighting because I believe to this day that I was wronged and my performance was excellent. (Though my wife says the only constant in the terminations was ME!)

I found out early that if I agreed and admitted my performance left something to be desired then the boss would easily justify his or her actions and I would be out fast. Basically I would be admitting that I was a screw up and the job was over my head. So that did not work.

Then after failing at being humble (saying I would do better in the future), I decided the next time I was in trouble to try a new approach. Fight my performance warning every way I could. They really had nothing on me. I made no mistakes per say or was did I break any personnel rules or policies. I did not have a problem with attendance, lying, cheating, anger or anything like that. I was told I was being written up because I was not a good fit. (Translation: The boss did not like working with me)

So I decided that if I just kept my head down I was still going down after the HR bureaucracy, so I decided to fight back. I went to HR and complained, I went to my bosses manager and had a long list of mistakes my supervisor had made. I documented my accomplishments and send a long email memo for the record to the COO. I tried to get my internal customers to write letters to the record about what I had done for them, many did and these were sent to my bosses manager.

My boss eventually declared war on me and stopped talking to me. I brought this up to my bosses manager and told her this was an example of the type of mentality I was dealing with. The big boss seemed somewhat interested in my defenses.

All these actions bought me some time but eventually I was fired on a day when the bosses boss was out on vacation. I don't know if the big boss ever gave her approval or not.

Yes, I was fired but I went down flaming! The supervisor who fired me left the company suddenly a few months later. I suspect all my efforts made her look bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
How about you? You've said several times that you've been fired "many times" during your working years so I'd assume this would be something you'd have first hand knowledge of.

Last edited by I'm Retired Now; 01-10-2014 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 PM

95 posts, read 249,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
(Though my wife says the only constant in the terminations was ME!)
You need to listen to your better half.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
I was put on a PIP one time in my 35 years and it was totally out of the blue. I contested, point by point facts, in writing, what my new manager of 3 months stated in my review. I won and was with the company long after he was laid off. Interestingly, the fact that I was on the PIP and contesting prevented me from being part of a huge layoff that wiped out my department. I was the sole survivor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment