Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 03:49 PM

97 posts, read 145,811 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This week I am starting my new job and getting onboarded. First time working from home.

So I am getting onboarded and the HR person says to me you can use your personal computer if you prefer.
I told him thank you, but I keep my devices seperate for privacy reasons.

Is it normal that remote workers are using their own laptops? If you want to fine, but in a big brother world I don't need them seeing what I have in my bookmarks and other personal info.

Then later we are speaking and he says I need you to fill out this insurance application, ok sure, no problem. The application asks very personal details about your medical history, the top of the page says confidential not to be seen by your employer, hello if I have to send it back to HR they are by default going to see my most personal medical details.

This is a mid size company that has been in business several years so I am not sure how to take this? Honest mistake, esp about insurance invasion of privacy, or unproffesional company and signs that this will be a bad place to work?

I was thinking of sending the insurance app. back with the medical history blank and see if I can send it direct to insurance company?

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:08 PM

420 posts, read 768,252 times
Typically remote employees use company provided devices. I always did. I would at least put a cover page on that insurance form with some strong wording on the front, "According to section "state section" this information is privileged and to be reviewed only by "Entity." But in reality they may just rip off the cover page and process it.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
But in reality they may just rip off the cover page and process it.
That's my concern. I don't know these people, and I quite aware after reading good threads here that HR works for the company and protects their interest not mine.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM

420 posts, read 768,252 times
"The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requires employers to protect employee medical records as confidential; medical records should be stored separately and apart from other business records. Never store employee medical records in the employee’s general personnel file. Because of the confidentiality of the information, records must be isolated from files that employees such as supervisors may access."

I guess you just have to trust them to follow the law. Most people trust them with this information as well as Social Security numbers, Bank information and other personal /sensitive information. If you ever thought they were misusing your medical information, you have the right to file a lawsuit. They are supposed to keep records, so you may not be able to send it on your own since it is company-provided insurance...

Old 01-20-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
"The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) requires employers to protect employee medical records as confidential; medical records should be stored separately and apart from other business records. Never store employee medical records in the employee’s general personnel file. Because of the confidentiality of the information, records must be isolated from files that employees such as supervisors may access."

I guess you just have to trust them to follow the law. Most people trust them with this information as well as Social Security numbers, Bank information and other personal /sensitive information. If you ever thought they were misusing your medical information, you have the right to file a lawsuit. They are supposed to keep records, so you may not be able to send it on your own since it is company-provided insurance...
Wow, I hope I can come to a solution with HR, because I have a highly stimatized medical condition that would black ball from employment should it get out.

This could cause me to quit seriously.

Thanks for the link and posts.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,855,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking for change-123 View Post
Wow, I hope I can come to a solution with HR, because I have a highly stimatized medical condition that would black ball from employment should it get out.

This could cause me to quit seriously.

Thanks for the link and posts.
Then simply check "no" on most of the stuff and send it in.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
Then simply check "no" on most of the stuff and send it in.
Ok, that would work I guess. I could just tell the insurance company later I forgot to mark it down if they ask.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 PM

4 posts, read 2,613 times
I understand what you're going through. I worked from home for a catalog mail order company in which involved downloading their software which gives access to the computer remotely. If at all cost this can be avoided by using a second computer, do so. Another reason is that some companies software may not have all the kinks worked out, and do more harm than good to your computer.

As for the insurance, I would ask if you bring your own insurance, but if using their insurance ask to mail, fax ,or email it directly to the insurance company because you need to know more about the insurance company as well. You never know who you are sending your private information to as well. No matter what company you work with you want to research them and check out their Better Business Bureau reports as well.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
1. Their computer, not yours.
2. Just mark N/A on the medical. Under Obamacare you cannot be denied insurance, but...
3. Check what it would cost you to have your own insurance. This is one the benefits of Obamacare. It is easy to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment