Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 03:45 PM

164 posts, read 266,496 times

Advertisements

So I went in for another interview today and the hiring manager asked me "If we make you an offer and get everything together can you start early next week?" Anyway I don't know what the offer and said I would need time to think about it. They are supposed to be sending me a letter sometime today or Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
My daughter got a job one time that started immediately, right then and there...she lucked out....I don't think your circumstance is uncommon at all....good luck, hope it's for a job you'll enjoy.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:52 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
They need help right away. "can you start early next week?" or similar type of question is the last one you hear before you start work. Congrats and good luck

Old 01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
I've been offered jobs that started the next day during the interview, I declined because all I had was a suit case and the job was 3500 miles from home.

It is not the norm, but it does happen from time to time. Congrats and good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

389 posts, read 692,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Success3 View Post
So I went in for another interview today and the hiring manager asked me "If we make you an offer and get everything together can you start early next week?" Anyway I don't know what the offer and said I would need time to think about it. They are supposed to be sending me a letter sometime today or Monday.
In my experience, people applying for lower-level, hourly positions are often hired on the spot, even nowadays. I feel like that's a lot less likely if you're going for a salaried position with bennies that pays decently and requires a college degree.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:47 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMe123 View Post
In my experience, people applying for lower-level, hourly positions are often hired on the spot, even nowadays. I feel like that's a lot less likely if you're going for a salaried position with bennies that pays decently and requires a college degree.
True, but I've been hired on 72 hrs notice a couple times. Yes, most other opportunities more-typically kindle for three weeks to a month from first-interview to offer to start date. Still, I mean for jobs paying $150K/yr and up, with full benefits, that last six months to five years. Tech consulting, so I'm the most interviewed, hired, and laid-off guy you've ever met One grows used to weirdness in this business, I have no idea if that is typical (sounds like, "not so much.") If you've got a personal portfolio honed to the point where it can split atoms (degrees, certifications, experience), the rules appear to be very different.

Three key aspects of the process: simpatico, skills, and timing. If you click with the org...communication style, not just on paper...you're well on the way: simpatico. The skills part can be luck, assuming they don't trip you up on a tough question, but is mostly about experience and training. If you're the tenth candidate and the req's been open 45 days (as happened in my current role), you'd be surprised how that "timing" thing works in your favor too.

If they know you can do the job, you click with the org and the manager, and they need you right now for an urgent need for the next fiscal year, why dink around?

Of course, a couple of the layoffs I've experienced across a decade and a half have been unexpected, too, but in tech that isn't a surprise. After awhile one becomes a magnificent resume-writer and interviewer, essentially by default: learning via failure more than success. I bat somewhere around seven real opportunities and interviews per job offer, depending on the economy, and feel damn proud to be doing that well. Every good consultant has the heart of a salesman, too.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:51 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I've had it happen four times so far. Two were for a part time homecare jobs though. Another was for my current job (small business under 10 employees) and still another for a corporation under 100 employee.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 AM

35,682 posts, read 21,035,253 times
If they meet me I get hired, that has been most of my experience. Some job like the one I have now have a process and panels etc etc,,, so cant happen there,

Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
In sales it happened to me often, some were pending a drug and criminal history check, others were can you start tomorrow, some were can you start next week.

In other jobs it happened occasionally but it was rare.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:21 AM

453 posts, read 631,911 times
It just happened to me back on Monday. Interviewed in the morning, was told they still had others to interview and that I should expect a decision on Tuesday or Wednesday, and instead got the offer on Monday afternoon. (In the end I wound up not taking the job for a variety of personal reasons.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment