Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times

Advertisements

I realize that much of what you see on Craigslist is spam. But tonight this ad appeared and it seems to be authentic. I have included the entire ad here (it is not copyrighted) because the link will become obsolete in 30 days or so......the kicker is at the end.....

"Adjunct Paralegal Instructor (Springfield)
REPORTS TO: Director of Education SUMMARY: This position is responsible for development, implementation, and instructing curriculum to students to prepare them in the Paralegal field.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

1. Teaches college-level classes.

2. Prepares class syllabus, outline and daily lesson plans as required. Provides course syllabus and outline to students on the first day of class. Maintains and ensures consistency between the course catalog and the daily lesson plans.

3. Prepares and administers examinations, student projects, and other teaching aids needed to fulfill objectives of program. Sets up classroom, lab, equipment, projects, assignments, etc in preparation for each new phase or class start.

4. Maintains accurate records of attendance, grades, progress of students, and reports the same in a timely manner to manager.

5. Maintains clean, effective, and professional learning environment.

6. Attends all scheduled in-service activities, meetings, and completes all scheduled/assigned activities in support of individual faculty development plan.

7. Communicates budget needs to Campus Management on a timely basis.

8. Tutors and conducts conferences with students.

9. Maintains discipline and enforces school rules and regulations.

10. Assists with library research needs, and information gathering and makes textbooks recommendations.

11. Participates in committees, graduation ceremonies and other school events.

12. Completes administrative duties and other projects as assigned.

Job Requirements:

KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND: Requires an Associate degree in Paralegal and 3-5 years of experience in the field, teaching experience a plus. A Bachelor degree is preferred. The position requires personal computer skills (Microsoft Office, inclusive of Word, Excel, and Outlook). Excellent spelling and grammar skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful and concise manner, is essential.

wait for it.....

Compensation: $11 per hour

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:01 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,692,905 times
I have seen postings demanding similar experience and education for just as low pay.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,072 times
I often see skilled labor such as carpenters or tile installer jobs for $9-$10 per hour AND you have to provide your own tools!

I also like the apartment maintenance jobs that require you to not only live on site and be on call 24/7 but you don't even get a free apartment out of it. Sometimes you get reduced rent but most of these also require you provide your own tools too.

I remember it wasn't that long ago that having a skilled trade was a job that paid pretty good and these days they want that same skill to be available for min wage.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:06 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,048,065 times
Perhaps with so many being unemployed, employers are taking advantage of it and offering low wages. Guess they figure anyone desperate enough will accept.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:46 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND: Requires an Associate degree in Paralegal and 3-5 years of experience in the field, teaching experience a plus. A Bachelor degree is preferred. The position requires personal computer skills (Microsoft Office, inclusive of Word, Excel, and Outlook). Excellent spelling and grammar skills with the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful and concise manner, is essential.

wait for it.....

20yrsinBranson
I've seen it before but at least a paralegal earns more than a lawyer.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:50 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,074,947 times
As long as people are desperate, this is what will be offered. Pathetic.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:56 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,577,969 times
Sadly, no, not a scam. My SIL just applied for a job through Craig's List for a job contracted through the county for some type of social work dealing with kids. She's currently earning a high hourly rate freelancing, but needs more hours. Had a great interview, got a call that they wanted to offer her the job... For 30+ years in her field, they offered $11.20/hr, no benefits. She was flabbergasted!

She WISHES the rate had been posted in the ad. No wonder the interviewer didn't discuss salary over the phone first.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:58 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times
It doesn't sound like a reputable place if all that is required to be a professor is an associate's degree and three years of experience.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:15 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times
Not surprised! In my area of expertise (graphic design/photography), they also want everything and their mother for $9 to $12 an hour! It's INSULTING! My groceries cost the same as yours except that I am broke after buying them unlike you dear extorting employer keeping me on welfare, and then complain that 47mil of us sit on welfare! It is YOU that is keeping us there and not us! We just want to work, and support ourselves! No insurance, no benefits either! They want a bachelor's degree, which costs between $50k and $100k(SCAD), yet they don't pay enough for us to buy groceries, let alone pay back our student loans! SHAMEFUL! Don't ask me for a degree if you're not willing to pay me enough so I can pay back my education loans I was forced into because education here is off the wall expensive!

Forget Craislist! It's a TRAP for slavery! Not to mention all the loonies lurking there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I realize that much of what you see on Craigslist is spam. But tonight this ad appeared and it seems to be authentic. I have included the entire ad here (it is not copyrighted) because the link will become obsolete in 30 days or so......the kicker is at the end.....

"Adjunct Paralegal Instructor (Springfield)
REPORTS TO: Director of Education SUMMARY: This position is responsible for development, implementation, and instructing curriculum to students to prepare them in the Paralegal field.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

1. Teaches college-level classes.

2. Prepares class syllabus, outline and daily lesson plans as required. Provides course syllabus and outline to students on the first day of class. Maintains and ensures consistency between the course catalog and the daily lesson plans.

3. Prepares and administers examinations, student projects, and other teaching aids needed to fulfill objectives of program. Sets up classroom, lab, equipment, projects, assignments, etc in preparation for each new phase or class start.

4. Maintains accurate records of attendance, grades, progress of students, and reports the same in a timely manner to manager.

5. Maintains clean, effective, and professional learning environment.

6. Attends all scheduled in-service activities, meetings, and completes all scheduled/assigned activities in support of individual faculty development plan.

7. Communicates budget needs to Campus Management on a timely basis.

8. Tutors and conducts conferences with students.

9. Maintains discipline and enforces school rules and regulations.

10. Assists with library research needs, and information gathering and makes textbooks recommendations.

11. Participates in committees, graduation ceremonies and other school events.

12. Completes administrative duties and other projects as assigned.

Job Requirements:

wait for it.....

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,608,193 times
Case in point:
"I dont have alot to spend but this will probably be easy for a graphic artist!

I need a series of simplistic figgures created for my website! Must be vector art and have no background behind the image so I can place them on my site!

The example is in this link
An Orange Man Standing Up In Good Posture Crossing His Arms In.. Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 2774332.

and here
A Somewhat Abstract Concept In Networking And Cellular Communications.. Royalty Free Cliparts, Vectors, And Stock Illustration. Image 2774343.

I need these men to be blue and in several poses

I need one with a thinking bubble over his head with a $, I need one with a mail package in his hand, and a few in general poses

Please shoot me an email if you are willing to do this I kno $10 isnt alot but if your bored and you like doing projects, youd be helping me out tremendously thanks
"

This is how they refer to us! "if your bored and you like doing projects"

He probably wouldn't mind fries with that too! Our time means NOTHING to these jerks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment