Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you choose to live in, given these pros/cons?
Marin County 0 0%
Champaign, IL 0 0%
Cleveland, OH 0 0%
Central MI 0 0%
Fort Worth, TX 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM

130 posts, read 207,452 times

Advertisements

i cannot decide!! =( i prayed and prayed...God is silent.

5 job offer options:

Champaign, IL - close to brother and nieces. 2.5 hours. away from a city i love-Chicago. but rural. college town, kinda like a larger Findlay

Marin County - i dunno if this option is still available. expensive. not sure "worth it." but may be good for career. kinda interested in biotechnology

Cleveland - near family, friends. but ready for a change. played my options here... but this is such a comfortable choice!

Fort Worth, TX - new, suburban, booming economy, near city with lots of young professionals. the negative stereotypes - conservatism, southern accents, giant insects, obesity gets to me, though...maybe too hot?

Central Michigan - colder than OH! suburban..somewhat near family. i probably won't choose this 1.

what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 04:50 PM

28 posts, read 33,491 times
I would just advise you that you just do what heart says and what gives you pleasure comfort...!!!!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,265,595 times
Two suggestions:

Make a list of pros and cons for each job, compare them, see which one floats to the top.

Clear your head (if possible) and try to imagine where you'd like to be and what you'd like to be doing in, say, five or ten years down the road. Maybe that will help.

BTW, congratulations. Most folks would kill for this problem right now.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 PM

thank you. yeah, i'm very grateful! and yeah, i tried making a list and even a spreadsheet with weight-based formulas, but really, it does come down to the heart as sahilsharma was saying. but emotions are not always clear.

it's hard to decide b/c they're not my 1st choice of cities, i.e. chicago, seattle, and even through days of endless pondering, i can't seem to figure out what my heart is saying...
just posting here to see what ppl's thoughts are based on the pros/cons i listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Two suggestions:

Make a list of pros and cons for each job, compare them, see which one floats to the top.

Clear your head (if possible) and try to imagine where you'd like to be and what you'd like to be doing in, say, five or ten years down the road. Maybe that will help.

BTW, congratulations. Most folks would kill for this problem right now.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Marin.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 PM

427 posts, read 550,235 times
I recall back in the old days when I lived in Lockport, NY. This old friend of mine(old, meaning, he was old!) used to say to me "We should drive to Cleveland some day for a cup of coffee".

Well, we never did. Then years later I drove through Cleveland on my way to Las Vegas. And I remember thinking to myself that I'm glad we never took that drive for that cup of coffee!!

But that's just me!

I'm going to suggest that you do the exact opposite of what sahilsharma577 suggested!

First of all, have some faith that God hears you(if indeed this is the direction you are honestly taking). Remember, He knows your motives. You need to approach Him with the attitude of doing His will. And have some patience and faith.

"God does not even consider the requests of those who are interested only in sastifying their own desires but have no interest in pleasing Him"-author unknown.

And remember, He will answer in His time, not yours.

Ok, just how giant are those insects?
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2011, 09:02 PM

=) that's sound advice! i like your quote, very true:
"God does not even consider the requests of those who are interested only in sastifying their own desires but have no interest in pleasing Him"-author unknown.

time is a major factor, though, since they're time-sensitive offers. must decide asap to keep employers from waiting. i don't know what it means by listen to what God says. I can't seem to find peace with any decision, and every person i meet sways me in a different direction. augh oh well. i figured a poll here would decide my fate. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'all smile now! Grandpa? View Post
I recall back in the old days when I lived in Lockport, NY. This old friend of mine(old, meaning, he was old!) used to say to me "We should drive to Cleveland some day for a cup of coffee".

Well, we never did. Then years later I drove through Cleveland on my way to Las Vegas. And I remember thinking to myself that I'm glad we never took that drive for that cup of coffee!!

But that's just me!

I'm going to suggest that you do the exact opposite of what sahilsharma577 suggested!

First of all, have some faith that God hears you(if indeed this is the direction you are honestly taking). Remember, He knows your motives. You need to approach Him with the attitude of doing His will. And have some patience and faith.

And remember, He will answer in His time, not yours.

Ok, just how giant are those insects?

Old 02-03-2011, 09:53 PM

427 posts, read 550,235 times
Well, you certainly have one major and tough decision to make.

Personally, while I'm secure in the fact that so many good and sound suggestions come from countless city data folk, I woundn't let a decision like yours be decided by tons of people who are basically strangers to you. You know, the ones who don't know you from Adam(or is that Eve?!).

Consider also the many different ways that God may speak to us.

God speaks through His word.
God speaks through our thoughts.
God speaks through circumstances. And...
He also speaks through our conversations with others.

May come down to that giant leap of faith!
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2011, 10:41 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post
i cannot decide!! =( i prayed and prayed...God is silent.
God will never show you His will so you can decide if you will follow it.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I would go with the job offer connected with the best job and then enjoy wherever I ended up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment