Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 08:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
It's a Craigslist Ad. Nothing to take seriously.
Nice thought, however, indeed.com and all the others are filled with exactly the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 08:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I often see skilled labor such as carpenters or tile installer jobs for $9-$10 per hour AND you have to provide your own tools!

I also like the apartment maintenance jobs that require you to not only live on site and be on call 24/7 but you don't even get a free apartment out of it. Sometimes you get reduced rent but most of these also require you provide your own tools too.

I remember it wasn't that long ago that having a skilled trade was a job that paid pretty good and these days they want that same skill to be available for min wage.
That's pathetic. Tools can cost a whole paycheck.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:45 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
The whole concept of contracting out caused this beginning with RR and M. Thatcher in the 80's.
You don't need an MBA to rip people off like this. I got OUT of an industry 20 years ago when my
competitors dropped their per hour to 10. and I was paying 14. plus travel time.

I'll go do something else before I become a pimp like them.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,011,571 times
I had a recruiter contact me wanting to know how I felt about an entry level engineering position. Great I say, meets all of what I'm hoping to land. Then he asks me how I felt about $20-$22/hr. I seriously couldn't hold back the laughter. He ensures me that that is great pay, because it is entry level. I tell him not to contact me again and hang up.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:25 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Perhaps with so many being unemployed, employers are taking advantage of it and offering low wages. Guess they figure anyone desperate enough will accept.
Yep. And employees that are selfish and/or stupid enough to accept a job at an unreasonably low pay add fire to the flames. Regardless of how desperate someone is, working for this low undercuts the market and in the long run drives down the going wage for everyone.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I had a recruiter contact me wanting to know how I felt about an entry level engineering position. Great I say, meets all of what I'm hoping to land. Then he asks me how I felt about $20-$22/hr. I seriously couldn't hold back the laughter. He ensures me that that is great pay, because it is entry level. I tell him not to contact me again and hang up.
Yep the contract agencies want to pay engineers $40-50k (no benefits)
and the scientists $25-$35k

and they wonder why Americans give up on STEM.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM

544 posts, read 1,440,145 times
Not at all surprised...you should see what they're paying IT people here in SW Florida. O-M-G!

Old 01-22-2014, 09:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,767,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
There is even worse than that!

My neighbor found an office job listed on CL where part of the job duties include performing sex acts on the boss! I wrote a thread about it here:

Does this job ad say what I think it says or do I just have a dirty mind?

Here is part of the job description:

Personal Assistant (Hicksville)

I am looking for a young and energetic woman to handle all of my clerical office work (answering phones, faxing, filing, typing letters, etc). This position is definitely not for everyone. I am a busy professional who does not have the time to date since I am always working, so I am looking for someone not only to work for me but to provide companionship. This is not a scam, and Im trying to be as open and blunt about it upfront as I possibly can be so I dont waste anyones time who is not interested.
Pardon my French but WTF...?!

They can't be serious. ..

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM

544 posts, read 1,440,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
And that's the problem. Employers are saying todays workers are "lazy" or the phrase I love... "Bad attitude." How original Any time someone isn't willing to basically work slave labor free is labeled with an attitude problem. I guess it's easier to label them than to admit to the real problem.
And they wonder why people milk unemployment for as long as they can.
I'm not "milking" it but I make more than that on UIB. I also don't have to accept employment that is outside my skill set. With that being said, I'm going to have to do something because my benefits end in 6 weeks, I'm tired of being at home every day and I can't afford to not have something coming in.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,333,540 times
It's no joke. Wages are stagnant, or even declining in some cases. Someone out there will take the job. What the employer apparently doesn't realize is that price of labor doesn't equal value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment