Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM

701 posts, read 1,097,132 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what people use as a gauge of the local job market's health, and when people decide they're better off relocating (most likely without a job already lined up,) to an area that seems to have a healthier job market. Do you study your local unemployment numbers? Count the number of job postings per week in your field? Something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 11:10 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
When I saw a newspaper article that pulled together and analyzed labor stats showing how abysmally poor the local job market has become in Cleveland for my current field (down more than 50%) and most other middle-income jobs, it strongly reinforced the decision I'd already made to relocate as part of my pursuit of another degree and a career change.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
I used a pretty simple approach, I watched the positions available for about 6 months in my home market and also watched the same positions available in NYC.

Even adjusting for population it became apparent that my home market was majorly lacking in jobs in my field so off I went to the big city. Easily one of the 5 best decisions I ever made.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:46 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I have no real fondness for my home state anymore (since the wretched scumbag politicians from Chicago wrecked everything here) so I just applied everywhere I'd consider living. I ended up staying put for now because I got a good job (which is exceedingly hard to find in my profession) and am able to take care of and support an ailing parent.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
I used a pretty simple approach, I watched the positions available for about 6 months in my home market and also watched the same positions available in NYC.

Even adjusting for population it became apparent that my home market was majorly lacking in jobs in my field so off I went to the big city. Easily one of the 5 best decisions I ever made.
Ah, very logical. Makes me wish there were a service where you could view a map that showed industry openings relative to population density in different sectors.

Unemployment numbers are sort of misleading, I've found. The unemployment rate here is somewhere in the middle of US cities, but that doesn't include the number of underemployed people working part-time involuntarily, which seems to be abnormally high.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
How do you know relocating is a wise strategy? From what I've read, it seems every state has had difficulties with the job market. What I am observing is various areas in all of the states seem to have problems while other areas as growing. If they're growing you have to contend with issues such as higher cost of living but it defeats the purpose of the goal is to have a livable wage and have less expenses. That, or crime is really high. At one point I toyed with the idea of moving to North Dakota or Ohio, but it seems there's a lot of hype with ND and Ohio is just riddled with crime.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
How do you know relocating is a wise strategy? From what I've read, it seems every state has had difficulties with the job market. What I am observing is various areas in all of the states seem to have problems while other areas as growing. If they're growing you have to contend with issues such as higher cost of living but it defeats the purpose of the goal is to have a livable wage and have less expenses. That, or crime is really high. At one point I toyed with the idea of moving to North Dakota or Ohio, but it seems there's a lot of hype with ND and Ohio is just riddled with crime.
What part of Ohio is it you think is riddled with crime? Are you looking just at the major cities or in smaller towns too?

As for it being wise to move, of course it is if where you are has shed huge numbers of jobs in your field and you can identify a place with a better market.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
I've read warnings against moving to Cleveland, Dayton, and Cincinnati.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,316,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
Ah, very logical. Makes me wish there were a service where you could view a map that showed industry openings relative to population density in different sectors.

Unemployment numbers are sort of misleading, I've found. The unemployment rate here is somewhere in the middle of US cities, but that doesn't include the number of underemployed people working part-time involuntarily, which seems to be abnormally high.
What is your field? What type of work are you looking for? Where are you located (Northeast, Midwest, West Coast)?

Old 01-24-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Oh, I don't! That's what makes it so difficult!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment