Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,200 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a permanent resident with a 2mth old green card. I am 40yo, but I always get told I look like I'm in my early 20's. Originally born and raised in Mexico City, I live in southern New Jersey and have family here. I have a Bachelor's Degree in International Relations from Universidad Iberoamericana, a well-known university in Mexico City. I don't do drugs, etc, and hold no criminal record.

I have worked as an Assistant Manager for a bridal shop that my parents own. Before that, I periodically helped manage a restaurant that they opened until it had to close. Before officially moving, I was an Operations Agent for American Airlines for 8 years.

Within the past 3 months, I have applied to 50+ jobs in which I felt I either qualified for, or at least had a shot at. I filled out assessments to the best of my abilities, actually they were pretty easy. I refined my resume to the most professionally looking, and I included a cover letter for most positions that allowed me to attach such files. These jobs include management, waiting tables, grocery, retail, sales, telemarketing, paralegal, and Wash D.C. & NYC Political jobs that look for my specific degree study.

Out of the 50+ jobs I applied to, only 6 have responded to schedule an interview.

#1 Trader Joes, crew member: They said they would call me back a week later to let me know when to "come in", and ended up taking twice as long only to call me back saying "we've pursued other applicants".

#2 CVS, shift supervisor: They said they would contact me within 2 weeks after in-person interview, with the final day being tomorrow 1/25, and still nothing.

#3 Nordstrom, men's sales position: I went into my second interview yesterday only to do "the runaround": The manager said he forgot he scheduled my interview from last week, and then he had the HR manager schedule me in her planner for the "real" interview, which will be on 1/28.

#4 Verizon, scheduled a phone interview with me on Feb 4th, before they even accept me to go to a 3-week long job training center....

#5 Target, Sales Floor Team Member: I did the phone interview, and they said they would call me to see when I can come in. This was 2wks ago....

#6 Whole Foods, Grocery team member: I applied to this about 3wks ago, and still no sign of them

I've checked my references and employers only to find out that not ONE company I applied to has called either of them throughout all 3mths.

It would seem that employers simply don't want to hire, even though they have an open position on their website. Either that, or thy are apprehensive of hiring me due to unknown reasons. It is strange how they wouldn't verify with previous employment and references (even when they said that they take them seriously). I hate to think of it, but is there a system they can see details of me that I don't know about?? I was completely honest in all of my applications and interviews, so for that few to call me is just odd, IMHO.

Please help shed light on my situation, or at least help direct me to somewhere or someone who can. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by jbueno; 01-24-2014 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: format was off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 02:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbueno View Post
Hello,

I am a permanent resident with a 2mth old green card. I am 40yo, but I always get told I look like I'm in my early 20's. Originally born and raised in Mexico City, I live in southern New Jersey and have family here. I have a Bachelor's Degree in International Relations from Universidad Iberoamericana, a well-known university in Mexico City. I don't do drugs, etc, and hold no criminal record.

I have worked as an Assistant Manager for a bridal shop that my parents own. Before that, I periodically helped manage a restaurant that they opened until it had to close. Before officially moving, I was an Operations Agent for American Airlines for 8 years.

Within the past 3 months, I have applied to 50+ jobs in which I felt I either qualified for, or at least had a shot at. I filled out assessments to the best of my abilities, actually they were pretty easy. I refined my resume to the most professionally looking, and I included a cover letter for most positions that allowed me to attach such files. These jobs include management, waiting tables, grocery, retail, sales, telemarketing, paralegal, and Wash D.C. & NYC Political jobs that look for my specific degree study.

Out of the 50+ jobs I applied to, only 6 have responded to schedule an interview.

#1 Trader Joes, crew member: They said they would call me back a week later to let me know when to "come in", and ended up taking twice as long only to call me back saying "we've pursued other applicants".

#2 CVS, shift supervisor: They said they would contact me within 2 weeks after in-person interview, with the final day being tomorrow 1/25, and still nothing.

#3 Nordstrom, men's sales position: I went into my second interview yesterday only to do "the runaround": The manager said he forgot he scheduled my interview from last week, and then he had the HR manager schedule me in her planner for the "real" interview, which will be on 1/28.

#4 Verizon, scheduled a phone interview with me on Feb 4th, before they even accept me to go to a 3-week long job training center....

#5 Target, Sales Floor Team Member: I did the phone interview, and they said they would call me to see when I can come in. This was 2wks ago....

#6 Whole Foods, Grocery team member: I applied to this about 3wks ago, and still no sign of them

I've checked my references and employers only to find out that not ONE company I applied to has called either of them throughout all 3mths.

It would seem that employers simply don't want to hire, even though they have an open position on their website. Either that, or thy are apprehensive of hiring me due to unknown reasons. It is strange how they wouldn't verify with previous employment and references (even when they said that they take them seriously). I hate to think of it, but is there a system they can see details of me that I don't know about?? I was completely honest in all of my applications and interviews, so for that few to call me is just odd, IMHO.

Please help shed light on my situation, or at least help direct me to somewhere or someone who can. Thanks in advance for your help.
6 interviews for 50 jobs is pretty good.

Particularly because you are applying for jobs that typically have massive applicant pools.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:58 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,298,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
6 interviews for 50 jobs is pretty good.

Particularly because you are applying for jobs that typically have massive applicant pools.
I agree, unless you have a specific (and comparatively rare) skill set, applying to those sorts of jobs is a numbers game. You’ve applied to huge companies that have thousands and thousands of applicants. You could try going back to the airline industry (where your most recent experience is directly relevant) or applying to small (or at least smaller) businesses.

It’s tough getting a job in this economy, and getting your first job in the country with a new green card is even tougher. It’s easier to get a job once you already have one. When I first moved to New York no one wanted to hire me because, despite having a great resume, I had no “New York experience.” You might want to network with your friends and acquaintances to see if they can find you a job—any job.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:09 PM

400 posts, read 1,509,364 times
sometimes its not you its just the market

Old 01-24-2014, 03:28 PM

420 posts, read 768,569 times
Why don't you try for something more on your level? You may have better luck with office/administrative positions. Retail and the other "big" names are horrific in their employment process. I would pursue financial entry level or sales too if that's palatable.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Looks like you just recently started your job search. You are doing well and seem very organized. Lots of companies take weeks or months to go through the whole hiring process. I think you likely will hear back from a few more of them.

Continue with applying and before you know it, you will have a new job.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:35 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,587,336 times
Sounds like you are applying for any low level job that advertises openings. Stop applying to openings and start targeting companies instead. You have retail experience - apply for assistant manager positions at stores you like, whether or not they advertise an opening. I suggest beginning with bridal shops in your area. Emphasize your experience in the family business and your customer service experience with the airlines. Portray a desire to stay in the bridal business. If you get an interview, dress nicely - conservatively, but in fashion - and make sure you are groomed and manicured to perfection in the American style. Try dropping off your resume in person rather than just mailing it everywhere. Have someone check everything over and make sure you have no mistakes anywhere. It goes without saying that you should know something about the American market you apply to.

You don't say if you're male or female? The fact that you are 40 and look 20 is not necessarily a good thing. Are you dressed appropriately?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:08 PM

206 posts, read 404,556 times
I agree that 6 interviews out of 50 resumes sent is pretty darn good. You are doing something right.

You are from Mexico. Employers are, of course, not allowed to hire anyone who is not here legally. It's possible that, once they meet you, they are concerned you can't work in this country, so they are shying away. And there are a thousand wrong ways to ask the question, so maybe they just decide it's not worth it. If you haven't done so already, make sure you have on your resume that you are here legally, that you have a green card, and that you are permitted to work in the US.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
6 interviews out of 50 isn't bad. You're doing something right.

The job market is still bad. You're better off trying small businesses.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:19 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Why don't you go to a temp agency and apply there - specifically to ask about how you present yourself. When I have applied through temp agencies, most have been really honest and helpful regarding how to present myself to get the job. It won't cost you anything. Just come right out and ask them if there's anything about you or your approach or your resume, etc., that is hindering your job search.

I'd keep looking on our own, too, though. Basically, just use them as advisors or coaches on how to change, if necessary.

BTW, have you targeted bridal shops? Someone who can speak Spanish might be in demand. And you already know that business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment